The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The British Racing School – Courses

Home Forums Lounge The British Racing School – Courses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bigpike89
    • Total Posts 13

Hi

I’ve just applied to do an apprenterchip there in Racehorse Care…..you have to learn to ride them like (scares me the thought of it) But just looking after and caring of the wellbeing of such lovely animals would do it for me. Been an ambition of mine since i first read Black Beauty wheni was a little kid <!– s:lol: –>:lol:<!– s:lol: –>

<!– m –>http://www.brs.org.uk/Courses/9_Week_Fo … rse_(NVQ_2<!– m –>)/

Has anybody ever applied for anything down there before?What happened/Was it worth it/etc etc?

Cheers

Thomas <!– s:wink: –>:wink:<!– s:wink: –>

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

Its alot of hard work but they will teach you to look after and ride a racehorse in 9 weeks. Then they will find you a job at the end of it. If you are good you could be placed at one of the top stables in the country. But as I said its a lot of hard work, early mornings, physical exercise included and not all the trainees make the grade. Thats said not to put you off though! Some of the racehorses used to teach the apprentices are quite well known and unbelievably patient.

As a place the facilites are superb and you get well looked after. I’d say it was very well worth it an if you love horses you will love it. The teachers are very patient and don’t worry – you will first learn to ride on one of the very safe and steady ponies there if you have never ridden before.

When are you going? Please keep us posted on your progress – it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Just applied mate.

Tar for the response. Sounds like the army where not everyone makes the cut – I knew they ‘cut’ you at interview just never knew they did it on the course either.

Should i expect a letter informing me they’ve recieved my application and they’d invite me down for an interview in due course?

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Its very rare they will kick anyone out for being useless, more so for bad behaviour.
    A lot of people drop out when they realise its not for them.

reetpetite
    • Total Posts 54

My daughter attended the BRS for several weeks but had to leave due to illness. When she recovered, she didn’t want to go back as it just didn’t suit her.

However, her heart was set on a racing career so she applied to the Northern Racing College, was accepted and she really loved it there.

Upon leaving there, she was sent to a trainer who shall remain nameless but treated her very badly.

She then worked at Mark Tompkins in Newmarket for a year and learnt a lot. She is now working at Jeremy Noseda’s and is very happy there. She has plans to go abroad in a few years.

It can be hard work. You ride out in all sorts of weathers and there will be ups and downs. However, if you’re doing something you love, you’ll be fulfilled and happy.

Good luck!

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

My daughter attended the BRS for several weeks but had to leave due to illness. When she recovered, she didn’t want to go back as it just didn’t suit her.

However, her heart was set on a racing career so she applied to the Northern Racing College, was accepted and she really loved it there.

Upon leaving there, she was sent to a trainer who shall remain nameless but treated her very badly.

She then worked at Mark Tompkins in Newmarket for a year and learnt a lot. She is now working at Jeremy Noseda’s and is very happy there. She has plans to go abroad in a few years.

It can be hard work. You ride out in all sorts of weathers and there will be ups and downs. However, if you’re doing something you love, you’ll be fulfilled and happy.

Good luck!

Thankyou

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.