The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Best Champion Hurdler

Home Forums Horse Racing The Best Champion Hurdler

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

If all the horses above where all to compete in the champion hurdle whilst in there prime who would have won.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

My personal favourite was rooster booster so i would like to think he would win!!! but realistically i have no idea, maybe persian war

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Once the race was moved back to 2 miles in 1980 (81?) – Sea Pigeon.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

To expand on my previous post a bit. The race was altered in distance at the start of the 1980’s, it’s a few hundred yards shorter than it was previously.

Persian War would’ve found it too sharp against the best.

The likes of Lanzarote, Comedy Of Errors, Dawn Run wouldn’t have been good enough. Istabraq and See You Then were champions but in poor eras.

The race would’ve been between the others. The 1970’s was a golden era, Monskfield, Night Nurse, Sea Pigeon.

My money would be on Sea Pigeon on the "new track" his tank didn’t empty like it did over the extended trip.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Monksfield (1978 vintage) no question.

Beats Sea Pigeon at the height of his form on the run-in.  Eight lengths back to the ’77 champion Night Nurse in third, with Beacon light and Dramatist even further behind.

Istabraq?  Oh, please.

Mike

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2922

Think Persian War’s record speaks for itself, would be a good race for the places though.

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Night Nurse was the best – gave Monksfield 6lb when dead-heating with him at Aintree.<br>

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Dangers in comparing generations, but I don’t think anything here would have got near Make A Stand on the day he won his Champion Hurdle.

Not the best, I’m sure, but the fittest and best ridden.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Wash your mouth out Max!

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

Not so sure Rory,

Make a Stand caught them out on what was lightening quick ground if the plethera of Guiness hadn’t too much of a toll.

There isn’t a single horse in the poll that we can say without question could have handled that sort of pace.

It did of course scupper him for the rest of his ‘short lived’ career but agree to say he’s the best is somewhat – mmmm…

But as Max said, ‘on the day’, I’d have to agree.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Istabraq for me. Won with complete authority on each occasion and I’m sure that the passage of time will see him ensconced as the standard by which we will judge future winners of the race.

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

Sorry Corm but however much I’d like to agree as I was there each time I just can’t have it.

While Hors La Loi helped frank it eventually, that year the remainder weren’t far behind and if memory serves that were anything but world beaters.

Prior to that, beating TheatreWorld twice, admirable as he was, doesn’t really compare with the form shown by Hardy Eustace – let alone the horse in the poll above.

Lee

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

My God, the memories those names conjour up for me! <br>The likes of Comedy of Errors, Night Nurse, Monksfield and Sea Pigeon were icons of my teenage years, the first horses I followed.

Not being any sort of expert, I’d still like to go for Night Nurse. He’s the one I remember that impressed me the most out of those mentioned. His tustles with little Monksfield I remember as if they were yesterday.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Wils – In 23 races between 1st Dec 96 and his final Champion Hurdle win he was beaten only twice. That’s 21 wins and 2 seconds, the runners up berth being reserved for a falsely run race in desperate ground at Aintree and a honourable defeat behind Limestone Lad when the Bowe horse won the race thanks to a career best display from both horse and jockey.

That is an incomparable record and, while I would admit that the quality of the opposition wasn’t always all it might have been, is a record which stamped him as a genuinely brilliant individual.

Those of us the wrong side of 40 will count ourselves lucky to see his like again.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Wils – In 23 races between 1st Dec 96 and his final Champion Hurdle win he was beaten only twice. That’s 21 wins and 2 seconds, the runners up berth being reserved for a falsely run race in desperate ground at Aintree and an honourable defeat behind Limestone Lad when the Bowe horse won the race thanks to a career best display from both horse and jockey.

That is an incomparable record and, while I would admit that the quality of the opposition wasn’t always all it might have been, is a record which stamped him as a genuinely brilliant individual.

Those of us the wrong side of 40 will count ourselves lucky to see his like again.<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.