The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Thats how you train a Novice

Home Forums Horse Racing Thats how you train a Novice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Donald McCain has just given Peddlers Cross the perfect start at novice chasing. Two lovely confidence building victories whilst he learns to jump properly at racing speed.
    Contrast that with what poor Cue Card has faced having already come up against Grands Crus when unshipping his jockey, followed by a hard race when losing out to another top novice yesterday.
    Perhaps the Tizzards should be looking to copy McCain if they ever get as good a novice again.

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1407

Couldn’t agree less.

Cue Card made a perfectly good start at Chepstow beating some good horses.

Similarly then is David Pipe wrong for starting Grand Crus off in a hot race at Cheltenham instead of taking in an easy task? No of course not.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Each to their own tb. Similarly to my original view on Cue Card, I also disagree in Pipes tactic with Grands Crus. I would far rather let novices build confidence before testing them to stretchingly. In my view patience reaps its own rewards.

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

"Keep your horses in the worst company and keep yourself in the best"

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Wise words Tuffers. Its a phrase I’ve heard many times in racing. Does anyone know who first coined it ?
    I have always believed that it was George Lambton, but have just Googled it and am still none the wiser.

thehorsesmouththehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

According to RP Donald McCain says he might go over 3 miles at Haydock next. :|

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

Wise words Tuffers. Its a phrase I’ve heard many times in racing. Does anyone know who first coined it ?
    I have always believed that it was George Lambton, but have just Googled it and am still none the wiser.

The more common version is "keep yourself in the best company and your horses in the worst". The oldest source I can find is Harry John Rous, senior steward of the Jockey Club in the mid-1800s. This was often repeated by Max Hirsch (trainer of 1946 American Triple Crown winner Assault) and Horatio Luro (trainer of Northern Dancer) so it is sometimes attributed to one of them.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Many thanks Miss Woodford

Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

"thehorsesmouth" wrote: According to RP Donald McCain says he might go over 3 miles at Haydock next. :|

Must have been an error on their part as report now states the Haydock race as being 2 miles.

RubyisgodinthesaddleRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1155

Looks to jump good very good.

Leslie very lucky owner. Invests well and really good trainer.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 389

in my opinion bobs worth has so far been the most impressive novice chaser, probably due to beating better opposition first time out. as ive said from the start of this season, why an earth would al ferof and bobs worth be chasing this season, after they both impressively won the novice hurdles at cheltenham, revert straight to fences.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

Delboy, if you owned Bobs Worth, would you want to take on Big Bucks?

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Theres a perfect example of why it concerns me about stretching novices before they have to be, running today. Mikael d’haguenet started in Grade 1 hot events right from the outset and stayed in them. Lost all confidence in my view. Now back hurdling.
    There is nothing to guarantee he would have made it over fences if started in smaller confidence building events, however it is still my view that it is preferable to give them time to perfect their jumping before putting them to the test.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.