The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

That bloke who used to stand behind McCririck

Home Forums Lounge That bloke who used to stand behind McCririck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    CHETNOLE
    • Total Posts 87

Does anyone know that old guy who often appeared on channel 4 races standing behind John McCririck. He sometimes would impersonate McCririck by wearing McCririck style hats and clothing. This bloke looked in his seventies and had long dyed black hair. He often wore a burgundy coloured jacket. He had one of those faces that made you laugh just to look at him. He always had a cheeky grin on his face. Havent seen this guy for a while. Maybe he has died or is in poor health. He seemed obsessed with standing behind McCririck and getting his face on TV. Also saw him on numerous occassions standing behind Angus Loughran on BBC racing. I never spoke to this man but i once heard him talking to another racegoer at Newton Abbot and he had a northern accent- i think it was a Yorkshire one. He was on the same train as me one day a few years back when i was coming back from Newton Abbot. He got off at Taunton so i presume he lives or lived in the West Country.

(Edited by CHETNOLE at 2:16 am on Feb. 15, 2006)

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5859

I am pretty sure that Big Mac got so fed up with him that the fellow was kept away from anywhere near him.

Wonder where he is today?

Regards – Matron<br>:cool:

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 123

I think I know the individual you refer to. Didn’t he often wear a bright canary yellow t-shirt whatever the weather. He looked like he had suffered a hard life to me !

CHETNOLE
    • Total Posts 87

Yes he did often wear a canary yellow t-shirt. LOL :biggrin:. <br>Matron is probably right. I expect he was ordered to keep away from Big Mac. He must have really got on McCriricks tits !

CHETNOLE
    • Total Posts 87

I’m off to get a long black hair wig, an old burgundy coloured jacket, a bright canary yellow t-shirt and a McCririck style hat. I’m gonna wind up Big Mac something rotten at Wincanton on Saturday lol !!

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

The guy often showed up back when I was a teenager and just got into racing, the combination of unruly black hair and bright yellow shirt, I seem to recall often teamed with a black leather jacket for the ultimate in contrast, well it was certainly memorable and he was quite unnerving at times! I wondered what happened to him about two years ago I think, strange chap!

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I think he’s touring with the Stones on second lead guitar

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

So THAT’S where I know the guy from. :cool:

CHETNOLE
    • Total Posts 87

Anyone think there is a slight resemblance between the yellow t-shirt guy and the bloke on the centre bottom of this Album Cover ?

http://www.britishinvasion.ca/Index_files/Rolling%20Stones/ROLLING%20STONE%201968%20S%5BBIG%20HITS%5D%20VOL%202.jpg

CHETNOLE
    • Total Posts 87

Actually its more than a slight resemblance isnt it !  This is all becoming clearer now. I reckon the bright yellow t-shirt guy is/was with the Stones . Let me give you my reasons.

1) I think he used to go racing a lot (maybe he still does but i certainly havent seen him for a while). Years ago whenever i went to one of the West country courses I would often see him. Also if i recall he used to stand behind big mac quite often at weekday televised meetings as well as Saturday ones. You need a few quid to go racing regularly (and you would obviously have a few quid if you are/were a guitarist with the Stones)

2)  I forgot to tell you in my original post that i once heard him say to a young lad at Newton Abbot Racecourse  " I’m telling you its true !"  I remember the child had a look of disbelief on his face. I reckon he must have said to the child " I am ( or used to be !) a guitarist with the Rolling Stones "

3) He’s the spitting image of the guy on the centre bottom of the above album cover.

Thanks for your contribution Happy Jack. Much appreciated.

(Edited by CHETNOLE at 12:30 am on Feb. 17, 2006)

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

CHETNOLE, I met this guy a few years ago at Taunton races,i would say that he was about 50 then, so still mid to late 50s,certainly not in his 70s.

His name is John and he lives in Minehead.He was very polite and said that he always set his video to record all those times that he stood behind big mac-God love him :)

I don’t know what he’s doing now but i’m sure he would be thrilled that this thread has been started in his honour!

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Don’t mention it,SHETHOLE :angry:

<br>;)

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

:wave: I can see you,CHETNOLE!:biggrin:

(Edited by jilly at 2:03 am on Jan. 20, 2007)

CHETNOLE
    • Total Posts 87

Jilly, is your middle name Silly and your surname Billy ? :biggrin:

If anyone has seen John recently please let us know.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Feck Off Muppet :biggrin:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.