The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Systems

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems Systems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Is there an advantage using systems to using form as a guide to betting?<br>Or are all of the form students studying in a systematic way and are we all system users?

What do the Forum Members think?

snowman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 554

First of all can I say I love this forum I really enjoy reading all the variations that members put up. My favourite relaxing forum definitely. BUT – using a system, ANY system, means not having the flexibility to ignore a selection the’system’ throws up nor being able to back a selection that the ‘system’ says doesn’t qualify.

If you have this flexibility then I would say you are using a method rather than a system

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5866

I think Snowman has hit it on the head.

I think everybody uses some kind a "system" when it comes down to it.

Regards – Matron<br>:cool:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I tend to agree with both of you.

But I think if you identify yourself as using a system rather than not using a system you gain a psychological edge. This is because you are setting your betting pattern to a known series of results, which more likely than not will repeat themselves over a given period of time. I think that Snowman’s point about flexibility is a valid one, but could this not also work against you and create doubt?

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5866

Yes, you are right Dave.

I suppose a true "systemite" works to a rigid set of rules and never waivers from them.

snowman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 554

Yes I concede that point. I soppose all of us to one degree or another use a ‘system’ wether it is to narrow down selections or stakes, as Matron says.

As far as flexibility is concerned I don’t think it creates doubt – quite the contrary, I think it’s essentially there if you have inner doubts about a selection that your ‘system’ has thrown up and gives you that get out clause that a true system junkie doesn’t have.

You have to take responsibility for the bets you decide to strike and I think in a way that someone who blindly follows a system (i.e. no flexibility to not bet) is in some way trying to shirk that responsibility by crying "The system made me do it!"

JAR
    • Total Posts 188

I more or less taught myself how to bet by trial and error using systems. I have since stopped using systems to wager money on a regular basis. I now try to study form. However there is always a point of doubt about a horse when at the back of my mind I know that several systems would discard it.<br>I often seems to hit long losing runs when doing it myself with form study.<br>Then I am tempted to go back to using a system.<br>I’ve not yet done so, however I am still on the look out for a good system and I often paper trade with systems that I have seen on this forum.:) <br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

snowman, you make a valid point very well. I think you would be correct if someone bought a system with a staking plan and followed it in a slave like manner. This will probably be the way with most people.

Another aspect of systems that I don’t like is systems addiction, or serial system user syndrome. A friend of mine got caught up in this a few years ago. He ended up jumping from system to system, day to day and even race to race. He finished up at GA after losing everything, not just financially, a very sad story with an even sadder end.

Personnaly, I wouldn’t use a system I didn’t invent myself or hadn’t been recommended to me and assessed for over a year. Operating in this way you can’t dodge responsibility, not to contradict your point, but to agree with it completely.

Funny, I started this thread to talk about the psychology of systems, because I feel it can give you a positive edge, which it does for me. But when I think about it, there can be a serious down side with life ruining potential.

Therefore, it may be a little irresponsible to only talk of the up-side without mentioning the down-side of systems betting. I think my approach is unique to me and your approach must be unique to you, that alone is a lesson. So thank you for your input because I’ll go to bed a little wiser than when I got out of it this morning.

(Ammendment to DJ system ‘Posting in Threads’ Version 2.1 Rule 9.1.2(b) – amendment (b) – ‘always keep an open mind)

MrE
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2149

Haha, I nearly missed this one….  my opinion… mmmm…. taint much, but its how I feel. Systems ARE meant to be followed rigidly, whats the point of going through all that study to find a selection if your gonna discard it cos you dont like the name or perhaps Tony McCoy is riding the favourite and that aint your GG. You have to follow the system (thats if your using a system and not a method) because if you dont you may as well go on picking ’em with a pin. Why purchase or work on your own system that has taken years to build up and proof, only to discard it cos its ridden by a girl, doesn’t matter what the reason is, it should NOT be discarded. Any system that I use has to be used in conjunction (bugger, thats a big word) with a second system, that system is the staking plan, yes, that too is a system to be followed religiously. If the Staking System says that I must stick 5 points on a 20/1, then I will, because failure to do so would mean throwing away all the experience of the past years and probably the years profit is down the swanee. Failure to follow a simple set of rules could mean bankruptcy (in the betting bank sense), this would render the System absolutely useless to you cos your ignoring it, so why bother to follow it in the first place……. A system is like your housekeeping, you have £100 to pay your weeks bills, there are 10 bills and each one has to be paid in varying amounts. Just miss one and the repercussions and difficulties to catch up without dipping further into your personal bank is nigh on impossible….. once you’ve missed that winner, its lost for ever…..  aint I a cheerful sod……  :smiley: :smiley:

MrE

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5866

MrE is a man of experience – he is communicating directly from his own island in the West Indies, while his poor wife is back home in the UK having to pay the weekly bills with the £100.00 he left her 3 months ago.

Oh, by the way I agree with you MrE.:biggrin:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.