The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Swinley Handicap Chase 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Swinley Handicap Chase 2024

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 973

17 runners on the five day stage. My interest goes to Victtorino. He won twice over course and distance earlier this season and I think he had still something in hand. Last time over a shorter distance at Cheltenham he wasn’t really travelling, but back at Ascot he should go fine.

Victtorino 8/1

• Total Posts 14896

Shan Blue looks a fair price at this 12’s, and last run shows he’s coming back to himself. Main worry is his entry at Kempton a week on Saturday. I’ll reluctantly swerve him Antepost.

Torn and Frayed looked average last time, but if his price holds, he’ll be backup, though possibly one I should maybe be giving up on

Usually like an Antepost in this, but just feels a bit risky. I’ll bet the pair of them if they go

Edit Missed the big prices, but that was always gonna happen

Shan Blue 7’s
    Torn and Frayed 18’s

Participant
    • Total Posts 1649

I’m still convinced Victtorino is the real deal. Track and trip holds no fears, and I’m likely to have a go before Thursday. I think he’ll start favourite.

Cap Du Nord is clearly being prepared for a pot, and this could well be it.

They’ll be my two.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 415

Larry is my call here at 14-1, and I’m just hoping that he’s not done his winning for the season

Participant
    • Total Posts 619

There are three of these in the Grand National at this early stage.

Does Nicholls want Threeunderthrufive to win with a mark of 152 already – that would get him up to 156 or so, which would give him even less chance at Aintree. Same comment for the Ultima.

Iron Bridge. Is at 140, down two for being beaten in the Chepstow Welsh Nash slop. Another that needs a few mre pounds to justify the GN entry. But is this running at Haydock instead?

Revels Hill. Third in this off 137 last season, ran good race in Whitbread last April. Currently rated 137 so needs a decent hike up the weights to get in – and only a win would get him that. But this is a first run of season.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5331

Skelton looks to bring Shah blue back to boil going by the last run however it’s Ballygriffin cottage that catches my eye , he has horrible recent form but was a useful novice , I’m hoping at a huge price e.w he can show more in this

Participant
    • Total Posts 30935

“Does Nicholls want Threeunderthrufive to win with a mark of 152 already – that would get him up to 156 or so, which would give him even less chance at Aintree. Same comment for the Ultima”.

——————–

Fair point QF, but imo Nicholls is – perhaps more than any other – a “bird in the hand” trainer… And if he does win it’ll just mean the horse is improving so has a better chance of defying the handicapper at Aintree. However, although he ran really well at Cheltenham last time, there’s a possibility there will be even better to come back on a right-handed track today. That said, in his last two efforts has looked to be going best and not found as much as might have done.

Shan Blue has looked more temperamental since unlucky at Wetherby.
    Victtorino still has improvement and is better than he showed last time. Ascot may suit him better but the stable form worries me.
    Revels Hill would have a good chance if fit and market support would suggest he is. 2nd on reappearance last year. Not run since chasing home Kitty’s Light in the “whitbread”. If RL wins I hope KL isn’t put up in the handicap for the National.

I’ve backed Revels Hill for the win outright and Threeunderthufive each way, with a bit place only too.

Value Is Everything
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6904

Victtorino insurebet 3 places

Participant
    • Total Posts 1267

I was at Haydock last season and I marked down Ballygriffincottage as a very promising type for these races but that has not been the case at all. He’s a very hard one to be too enthusiastic about, but I’ve bet him at 50-1 ew. He is my main bet in this race

I’ve also bet Rapper to win at 22-1 as I think that he’s a more feasible one to run better than his big odds suggest that he will.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1260

Hoping Revels Hill is fit and ready to go.

"Mum and dad cursed the day you were born"

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6904

Jumping went to pot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1260

Well done Ginger.

"Mum and dad cursed the day you were born"

Participant
    • Total Posts 30935

Yyyess.
    Still better than he showed there.
    Idled badly final strides.

Value Is Everything
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6904

wd Ginger

Participant
    • Total Posts 1267

Well done ginger

Participant
    • Total Posts 30935

Thanks RTB. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 973

Wd Ginger!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.