The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Un Atout

ominously weak on Betfair :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Yep, is looking ominous for Un Atout. Hopefully it’s nothing

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Henderson ‘confirms’ MTOY goes for the Supreme…

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news … preme-test

And thank f*** for that.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Indeed & just pray he gets there in one piece now…

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Cheltenian nailed on come back after fluffing his lines at last two hurdles, ran a huge race there, horse has plenty to work on by looking at him before hand. Cut across the board.

jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

This is my favorite race at Cheltenham.
    A sizeable field of potential stars of the future and it gets the festival off to a start with that famous roar. I’ve also had a fair bit of success of finding the winner over the last 6 years or at least having a shout in it going over the last.

Reading Henderson’s piece in the Racing Post yesterday for his runners at Chelts theres no mention of Chatterbox who apart from not being in last years bumper has a lot going for him to win this.

Why’s do you think he ommiited this horse from a mention as he’s high profile and progressive and gets quotes of 14/1?

jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

Reference above and Chatterbox non runner in 2012 Bumper, I read somewhere that Henderson does not like entering his potential good horses in the Bumper as "it can bottom them out if winning it" I think he has a point given the poor return of bumper winners and them going on next year to the Supreme.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

my tent or yours looked such a monster last time that i’d have to stick with him.

you could make an argument that this race will be run under very different conditions and all he was doing in the betfair hurdle was beating a bunch of mediocre handicappers, but if he preforms to the level he showed there, my gut feeling is that he’ll pound this lot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I really don’t understand why Chatterbox is not in this. " Too soon " ? He’s 5 and has already beaten two horses fancied for Festival glory ( even if the MTOY race shouldn’t be taken at face value, it has some value !!! )

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

I really don’t understand why Chatterbox is not in this. " Too soon " ? He’s 5 and has already beaten two horses fancied for Festival glory ( even if the MTOY race shouldn’t be taken at face value, it has some value !!! )

He holds his entry still along with four other Henderson horses. However, i’m sure I heard Henderson quote he may go for the Neptune therefore he’s kept apart from MTOY and also he’s only got one other (Whisper) in the Neptune.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

good argument made out in the weekender that on trends my tent or yours has to be the pick- especially as he’s already shown he’s capable of winning in a big field.

jeski was a negative as he hadn’t had a recent run. I think fitness will be a big issue with many runners at cheltenham this year, with the particularly bad weather putting paid to many well-laid preparations.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

I’m starting to go off my tent or yours now- the price is too short, horribly short in fact (you only have to look at previous hot pots in this- sweet wake, cousin vinny and dubguib to sound the danger bells)

and his prep hasn’t been ideal really, a soft ground slog last time in a race which surely would have taken something out of him, doesn’t seem like an ideal prelude to a race run under completely different conditions. I still think he’s a potential superstar, who will go on to potentially win a champion hurdle, but the price is putting me off.

step forward un atout. his jock davy russell compared him favourably with sir des champs- "he’s what he is, only better" :shock:

but although he’s a chaser in the making, if he’s that good you’d have to think he’s a serious contender in this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

I’m starting to go off my tent or yours now- the price is too short, horribly short in fact (you only have to look at previous hot pots in this- sweet wake, cousin vinny and dubguib to sound the danger bells)

and his prep hasn’t been ideal really, a soft ground slog last time in a race which surely would have taken something out of him, doesn’t seem like an ideal prelude to a race run under completely different conditions. I still think he’s a potential superstar, who will go on to potentially win a champion hurdle, but the price is putting me off.

step forward un atout. his jock davy russell compared him favourably with sir des champs- "he’s what he is, only better" :shock:

but although he’s a chaser in the making, if he’s that good you’d have to think he’s a serious contender in this.

I watched MTOY Aintree bumper win yesterday. He tanked through the race, much as he did at Newbury, but when push came to shove he found very little and The New One won going away. I know he was said to "run green" etc, however he was never challenged at Newbury and the course at Cheltenham is not conducive to that style of running. Granted, he’s got all the attributes of a Top Class horse, however, the above mentioned is enough to put me off taking a short price.
    Jezki has the form in the book and a tremendous turn of foot. though the lay-off is a stat that needs busting! Jessie H knows the time of day when preparing Festival runners, so i’ll trust in her judgement and stick with Jezki, when it would have been easy to wobble in the shadow of MTOY !

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Jezki, 7/1 with Hills from 9.00am.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

I watched MTOY Aintree bumper win yesterday. He tanked through the race, much as he did at Newbury, but when push came to shove he found very little and The New One won going away. I know he was said to "run green" etc, however he was never challenged at Newbury and the course at Cheltenham is not conducive to that style of running. Granted, he’s got all the attributes of a Top Class horse, however, the above mentioned is enough to put me off taking a short price.
    Jezki has the form in the book and a tremendous turn of foot. though the lay-off is a stat that needs busting! Jessie H knows the time of day when preparing Festival runners, so i’ll trust in her judgement and stick with Jezki, when it would have been easy to wobble in the shadow of MTOY !

yes I am on un atout and my confidence is starting to grow all the time. not only is the jockey purring about him, but there are question marks about the others.

I don’t fancy jeski at all, in none of his races has he really displayed the wow factor, he bombed out at cheltenham last year, and he’s done all his winning in small fields. as if that wasn’t bad enough his long absence is a big negative. place lay for me i’m afraid shack.

although 2 days later i’ll be tipping it up as no doubt marktt will point out :D

my tent or yours definitely has the "wow" factor, he looked breathtaking at newbury, but how much of that was initial visual factor? hard to say. you either take the view that he’s the next jumping superstar, which was certainly my impression at the time, or you play the percentages and weigh up that this is certainly going to be run under very different conditions.

his prep hasn’t been ideal. as mordin has pointed out on his website, horses that have run in a non-novice hurdle race in their prep race immmediately prior to the supreme, have a terrible record.

I have a long memory of horses like sweet wake, cousin vinny, and dunguib all going into this race being hailed as unbeatable superstars, the banker of the meeting, and all getting beat. let’s face it, it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if my tent or yours went the same way.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I have a long memory of horses like sweet wake, cousin vinny, and dunguib all going into this race being hailed as unbeatable superstars, the banker of the meeting, and all getting beat. let’s face it, it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if my tent or yours went the same way.

Me too. Two of those were horses whose hype began in winning the Champion Bumper decisively. Add Cue Card as another, by the way. Recent history has taught us some harsh lessons about being mesmerised by performances in that race.

My Tent Or Yours is nailed-on for a first or second finish, in my opinion.

Get Me Out Of Here

won the Betfair Hurdle and would have won the Supreme if McCoy had been a little more alive to the shortened run-in after the final flight.

Darlan

was moving like a winner when falling in the Betfair Hurdle last year. He came back from that crunching fall to run second to Cinders And Ashes. Maybe without the recent pearler, he would have won too. My Tent Or Yours has equal and very arguably better form than both of those horses did on ratings prior to their Supremes.

As such, it will take something pretty special to beat him. If My Tent Or Yours

DOES

get beaten, that horse will be my Champion Hurdle fancy for 2014.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

but un atout is going chasing :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.