The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Is he definately going for the Supreme not the Ballymore? I’m getting a bit confused about who is going where at the moment!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Judging by Betfair, looks a done deal that Hurricane runs in the Supreme and Cousin Vinny in the Ballymore- looks the right call.

That would look to make sense distancewise, however last season in the run up to cheltenham, Fiveforthree saw a serious amount of money in the supreme novice market before a late decision to send him for the ballymore instead. IMO it is highly doubtful that HF will go for the Ballymore, but Cousin Vinny may yet still be undecided.

Being a Montjeu I’d be inclined to say I’d like to see HF go for this year’s champ hurdle, as 9 times out of 10 montjeus are amazing travellers on good-soft, and this years champ looks like a travellers race but he doesnt look like the average montjeu and has a lot of speed. If HF can travel well he could just be one of these special horses who should be very hard to beat at 2 miles, even by his elders, but I’m still inclined to think he’s quite speedy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Does anybody know anything about Shalone? Can’t find a price for him but looked just the type for this.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 158

well well what a dramtic week end, first we have hurricane fly with a splint injury which could set him back at least a week maybe longer depending on how bad it is, vital time to be losing work so close to the supreme novices.

then today we have cousin vinny blundering at the last unseating his rider today.

Mullins said: "The horse half knuckled and slipped on landing. Patrick set him alight going to the last to get some experience of jumping fast before going to Cheltenham. He’d never jumped a hurdle that fast in his life."

well news for you mullins he will be jumping them alot faster at cheltenham so for any punter that has antepost bet on him i would be worried.

i will stick with my antepost bet

micheal flips

advised at 25/1 currently 14/1 with ladbrokes although paddy power are still offering 20/1. i am 80% sure champion jockey A P McCoy is set to ride him.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Is he definately going for the Supreme not the Ballymore? I’m getting a bit confused about who is going where at the moment!

Unless the lameness he suffered is long term I agree it would make more sense to run Hurrican Fly solo in the Supreme. He a good thing in a lot of people views and Jonjo O’Neill (Sunnyhillboy) and Nicky Henderson (Mad Max) are probably waiting until they know where he runs before making final plans. I suspect wherever HF goes they will probably run theirs in the other one.

The other two Mullins horses are somewhat less obvious and it would increase the yards chances of picking up the Balmore as well, if they ran both IMO.

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

I’ve had a little bit each way on Michael Flips at the 20’s with Paddy Power in the hope that McCoy gets the ride. Can’t see McManus having anything worth while in the race, so fingers crossed.

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

"A decision on Hurricane Fly’s participation at the Cheltenham Festival is likely to be made in the next few days.

Willie Mullins’ star novice hurdler had his form boosted by the victory of Go Native at Naas, who finished 10 lengths behind him over Christmas. However, he was denied a run in the rescheduled Deloitte Novice Hurdle last week after being found slightly lame.

"The horse will be seen by the vet and we’ll decide in the next three days whether he goes to Cheltenham or not,"said Mullins.

As well as his overall participation being in doubt, the actual race in which he will run in is still the subject of much conjecture, but the victory of Go Native saw Coral trim Hurricane Fly into 7-2 for the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle.

Good be a few tight bottoms on here!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m still wary of what Hurricane Fly has achieved, in spite of Go Native’s victory at the weekend, and thought that Red Moloney looked like a real racehorse at Musselburgh on Friday.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Zaarito won’t be winning it anyway. In fact, I’d be amazed if he even travels over. :(

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I’m still wary of what Hurricane Fly has achieved, in spite of Go Native’s victory at the weekend, and thought that Red Moloney looked like a real racehorse at Musselburgh on Friday.

Aye Equitrack, these dual-G1 winners with their form being franked should always be viewed with utmost suspicion. Musselburgh novice winners are the ones to have faith in.

:shock:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

G1 form right down the field in that Auteuil race Grassy – down to 7th I think there’s G1 placings. Grivette’s won her last 4 now too I think it is :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

May the Lord forgive me for having an opinion, Grass.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

The only reason HF is too short now is the doubts surrounding his injury/setback. There’s not many horses can win at the Festival without a near-perfect preparation.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

:mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I FORGIVE YOU, on this occasion, but dont disrespect Albertas again!

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

You are guessing he will handle the track but on form you cannot look beyond Hurricane Fly. I would be quite happy if Townend kept the ride.

Michael Flips has shown plenty of promise for a winning pointer, albeit one who cost £200,000gns. Having said that at current odds he represents poor value as I don’t think he jumps well enough and his form is light years behind the favourite. It would have told us plenty more had he taken up his early season entry at Cheltenham rather than go to Kempton. As a potential stayer quite puzzling that he has been kept to tracks that have placed an emphasis on speed.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Although he isn’t

guaranteed

to act round Cheltenham (assuming he makes it…..please Jebus), Hurricane Fly had no problem with Punchestown’s undulations last summer, stilvi.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.