The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

They reckon Jean-Rene Auvray has an even bigger horse he brought from France he’s 18.22 hh……should be easy to spot when he runs if you know what a giraffe looks like :lol:

• Total Posts 2440

Yeh just been reading about him.

Jeez, 18.2hh, that is some size.

Dont know about a leg up in the parade ring, a step ladder would be more apt.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Do you have a link to the story Fists?

Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

The horse is called ‘Original’ I believe. Some info on the Lambourn Racing website about him (in the news section).

http://www.lambournracing.com/news.html

P.S. I hope it is ok to post an external link… if not, I’ll edit my post as required. :wink:

• Total Posts 2440

Thanks for posting the link.

He is massive.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Does anyone know if Karabak is a likely Supreme candidate, or is he to be aimed at the Ballymore despite the presence of Diamond Harry?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

The horse is called ‘Original’ I believe. Some info on the Lambourn Racing website about him (in the news section).

http://www.lambournracing.com/news.html

P.S. I hope it is ok to post an external link… if not, I’ll edit my post as required. :wink:

Thanks Magistretti – thought there was another one but yeah Original is absolutely massive. Wasted over hurdles that’s for sure.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Does anyone know if Karabak is a likely Supreme candidate, or is he to be aimed at the Ballymore despite the presence of Diamond Harry?

"Equitrack"
    Karabak has got more chance of putting it down to "Harry" in the Ballymore than any chance of getting near the "Hurricane" in the Supreme,
    he is not short of speed, but does have plenty of stamina, so the Ballymore would be fav in my opinion.Bookmakers however have him priced at about 20/1 for both which does not help Ante-post punters, and
    interestingly your fav"Betfair" have him at 65 and 60 respectively! I wonder
    if "Gaz"s way de Solzen" can help?

• Total Posts 2440

I think at the start of the season, The Supreme would have been the target for Karabak as Mr King wanted to run him over 2 miles for the season ahead.

However, Medermit will be going for the Supreme, and I’m unsure if Karabak will be entered into the same race, he may well be.

I personally would put them both in the Supreme Novices.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I personally would put them both in the Supreme Novices.

Thanks Gaz for your response, but do you not think they are all running
    for 2nd place? The "Hurricane" would be such a cert that i"m getting worried that he will end up running in this years Champion hurdle!

• Total Posts 2440

No problem :)

I personally think Hurricane Fly will take the world of beating, he looks a very classy individual.

Medermit has surprised us to be honest, but I think he will run a good race at Cheltenham.

Mad Max would give Hurricane Fly something to think about, however, as I previously stated, it seems Nicky Henderson doesn’t want to run him at the festival this year and wishes to save him for next year.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Wasn’t it Original that won the wayward lad at 66/1?

atriffic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

I’ve a feeling Hurricane Fly is going to be the biggest over-hyped horse of the festival and I will certainly be taking him on in whichever race he runs. Dont honestly think he’s achieved a great deal. The race he won at Punchestown was run in a slower time than the Maiden hurdle on the same card.

I think the winner will be an English trained horse.

Theres very little form to go on to compare the respective contenders from either side of the irish sea and that may remain the case until Cheltenham.

One tenuous bit of form is through Baron De’L… beaten 14 lengths by Dee Ee Williams at Ascot getting 5lbs from the winner, and beaten 11 lengths by Hurricane Fly in that Punchestown race when giving him 3lbs. If you put any faith in that form then DEW (as well as the rest of the first four home in the Kennel Gate) would have the beating of Hurricane Fly.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yes it was, Aragorn, and I don’t think ‘beast’ is in any way an inaccurate description of him.

I tend to agree with you as regard Hurricane Fly, atriffic. There is always a talking horse in Ireland for the novice hurdles and, whilst I can admit to being guilty of buying into the hype (a la Sweet Wake) on occasioj, it can be a dangerous game.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’ve a feeling Hurricane Fly is going to be the biggest over-hyped horse of the festival and I will certainly be taking him on in whichever race he runs. Dont honestly think he’s achieved a great deal. The race he won at Punchestown was run in a slower time than the Maiden hurdle on the same card.

I think the winner will be an English trained horse.

Theres very little form to go on to compare the respective contenders from either side of the irish sea and that may remain the case until Cheltenham.

One tenuous bit of form is through Baron De’L… beaten 14 lengths by Dee Ee Williams at Ascot getting 5lbs from the winner, and beaten 11 lengths by Hurricane Fly in that Punchestown race when giving him 3lbs. If you put any faith in that form then DEW (as well as the rest of the first four home in the Kennel Gate) would have the beating of Hurricane Fly.

In my humble opinion he is there based on form. The race at fairyhouse was run at a crawl. The fact that Hurricane Fly, having previously won a G3 and finished second in a G1 over 20f could drop down in trip to 2 miles and win a sprint finish speaks volumes.

He has a high cruising speed, a change of foot and stays. He has also won 2 grade 1 hurdles. He deserves to be favourite for me.My two concerns would be breeding (temperament and constitution) and his jumping, which I think could be better (He seems to twist slightly over the hurdle at times).

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

He’s certainly not a talking horse – the form is there in the book and rock solid, you’ve seen what he does to his rivals. The Hurricane is an absolute machine and they won’t see which way he goes at Cheltenham whichever race they go for.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Martin, you must try and cure yourself of this obsession with everything French. :D :D

Colin

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.