The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

When I watched the race the first thing I thought is that there is no way he will be running in the Ballymore. Cousin Vinny ran over 2m2f for his win as well; Willie dipping his toe with his stamina? I think he could end up running in the Ballymore. Possibly with Mikael D’Haugunet who I thought was very impressive. IP is correct that Mullins said he thought the hill may be a bit much for him given how green he still is.

• Total Posts 14

Isn’t one of the biggest stats for this race that the winner has usually only run twice or maximum 3 times and must have won last time out?

I do think Walkon looked good, it was his first run when being beaten up ths hill by Simarian and he has gone on to beat him now. I like the fact that he shows he stays on up the hill and will be on my short list….. in fact probably at the top of it.

I am a big Simarian fan as he reminds me of Katchit and could be a great e/w pick – loves the hill and will the thereabouts but somehow can’t quite see him winning now!

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Walkon will be aimed at the Triumph as he’s still only three I should imagine. Nice horse though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Just watched the re-run of "Hurricane fly" winning the other day and being
    the King of Ante-post, i wouldn"t hesitate in advising anyone interested
    in backing him for the "Supreme" nov hrdle at Cheltenham at 6/1. A faultless performance from as smart a novice i have seen since "Forest Sun"! I think this fellow has Speed and bags of it! not a "Ballymore"type
    in my opinion!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Just to say, GWILSON77, you don’t need to put the name of every horse, jockey, trainer, owner, course or race in quotation marks. You’ll find your typing time decreasing dramatically :D

Top heavy or not, how likely is that Pandorama and Mikael D’Haguenet will be sent to the Festival to be demolished by the monster that is Diamond Harry? Is Mad Max also likely to swerve Cheltenham given his size?

The Racing Post seem to think that Karabak of Alan King’s will be aimed at the Ballymore, but after his destruction of Mahonia last time I can’t help but think that a strongly run two miles is going to suit him perfectly. Would the Supreme not be a better option for him (he’s not the biggest horse you’ll ever see)?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Top heavy or not, how likely is that Pandorama and Mikael D’Haguenet will be sent to the Festival to be demolished by the monster that is Diamond Harry? Is Mad Max also likely to swerve Cheltenham given his size?

Would have thought that Mikael is a doubtful for Cheltenham due to the ground, his size and the trainers other contenders for the race. Hope he does go as ground permitting the only thing that Harry will see is Mikael´s backside. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Just to say, GWILSON77, you don’t need to put the name of every horse, jockey, trainer, owner, course or race in quotation marks. You’ll find your typing time decreasing dramatically
    Just to say, EQUITRACK, thanks for the English lesson, was it you who
    questioned my use of "Exclamation marks" as well? I wasn"t taught
    English very well in Scotland, but "i do ken aboot Black puddin, Stovies,
    irn bru, jublees, Derek Parlane, Billy McNeill, Sweetheart stoute wi Neeps
    n Tawties" I will try harder or you may gimme 6 ah the best or even a stot af the pus! Just aswell i dont listen to your advice concerning "Albertas run" having looked back through the Gold Cup thread, look no quotation
    marks!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

No I didn’t question your use of exclamation marks, GWILSON77, and my previous comment was meant to offend; smilies obviously aren’t all that useful for portraying sentiment :D

As for Alberta’s Run, he’s still got no chance.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

How can you say Albertas has no chance? Ran the race of his life inthe King George which is not his best distance and won the RSA.

He stays he jumps and is a young horse with huge potential…..better him than those behind himinthe betting most of which have no chance orwon’t run…….Tidal Bay and Imperail Commander for instance.

He has a helluva chance of gettting a place which is all your man needs to show a nice profit.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Fists – behave yourself. This is the Supreme Novices thread, so take yer Alberta’s Run flannel over to the Gold Cup thread. 8)

Cousin Vinny gets an entry this weekend over 2m4f at Punchestown. Willie Mullins is surely now planning to aim this one at the Ballydoyle, and allow Hurricane Fly to claim his rightful place as the King of the 2m novices in the Supreme! :mrgreen:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

With you bro it’s like some times I don’t know which thread is which/.

Good news thanks

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Would he be Montjeu’s first cheltenham winner? Montjeu’s first champion hurdler perhaps?

There is still room for improvement with his jumping.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Would he be Montjeu’s first cheltenham winner? Montjeu’s first champion hurdler perhaps?

There is still room for improvement with his jumping.

That’s the only thing I would be worried about is that his sire is Montjeu. WM was quoted in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago saying the only thing that would worry him about Hurricane Fly is him boiling over or going over the top before Cheltenham. I do like Mad Max, his Ascot win would suggest he is a well balanced individual despite the size of him.

JohnJ

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Montjeu as a sire is not really a disadvantage IMO with this one, they can boil over a bit preracing, but usually throw in good races, despite this.

I think the main reason for the lack of success of Montjeu over jumps is the high cruising speed/ low finishing speed of his offspring, and the lack of that in jumps racing, however Hurricane Fly has a lot of finishing speed (quite unusual for a montjeu) and so doesnt look to be in any danger in that department. Montjeus are also usually very consistent IMO.

To say it is a penalty kick would be a tad excessive, but I expect it will take a good one to beat him come march if he turns up in the form he has been showing of late.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

There has got to be severe doubts about Mad Max turning up a Cheltenham JJ unless Nicky Henderson has a change of heart. He stated early on that he thought he was still too much of a baby and wouldn’t want to risk him.

Despite backing Hurricane Fly for this I wouldn’t be confident he will turn up either. I based my decision on Cousin Vinny who I don’t rate as highly as the bookes seem to but if I am wrong and he is good enough to go here then it would seem logical to send HF for the Ballmore.

I am not at all concerned about his sire though..he looks special and has done everything asked of him with ease and you can’t ask for more than that

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Montjeu as a sire is not really a disadvantage IMO with this one, they can boil over a bit preracing, but usually throw in good races, despite this.

I think the main reason for the lack of success of Montjeu over jumps is the high cruising speed/ low finishing speed of his offspring, and the lack of that in jumps racing, however Hurricane Fly has a lot of finishing speed (quite unusual for a montjeu) and so doesnt look to be in any danger in that department. Montjeus are also usually very consistent IMO.

To say it is a penalty kick would be a tad excessive, but I expect it will take a good one to beat him come march if he turns up in the form he has been showing of late.

Bulwark,

IMO Montjeu has not been a prolific sire over jumps because I think his progeny are extremely difficult to keep sound.

JohnJ.

• Total Posts 2440

If there is one horse that i would like to see go for the race, it would be Mad Max.

However, Nicky Henderson doesn’t seem to want to run the horse much this season, and wants to get him ready for a chasing campaign, next season.

I think he would go very well in the Supreme Novices, but it does look increasingly unlikely, that the horse will be run in the race, come March.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.