The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sunbow.8.05 Thirsk

Home Forums Horse Racing Sunbow.8.05 Thirsk

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7622

This horse was miles back but somehow made up tons of ground and won the race. but there was a objection in the weighing room and it got chucked anyone see this race

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Was stood at the finishing line and was a little surprised to see that he had got up.
    The Dods horse was very reluctant to go out onto the track but perseverance most definitely paid off with the horse running so well.
    Had to leave straight afterwards to catch the train so although aware of the objection didn’t know the result.
    But you know once there is an objection by the clerk of the scales that the result is going to be changed.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

How many times is it that a jockey has weighed in light in the last 12 months in Britain?
    Seems to happen more here than anywhere and this sort of thing is leaving an open goal in the sport for skulduggery by the unscrupulous.

Mention should also be made of total lack of information given out at the track to both racegoers there and viewers at home, it was appalling.
    Not the slightest mention as how light he weighed in or why.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

How many times is it that a jockey has weighed in light in the last 12 months in Britain?
    Seems to happen more here than anywhere and this sort of thing is leaving an open goal in the sport for skulduggery by the unscrupulous.

Mention should also be made of total lack of information given out at the track to both racegoers there and viewers at home, it was appalling.
    Not the slightest mention as how light he weighed in or why.

Was it not that the weights fell out of the saddlecloth at the gate?

RUK actually said this on air. Were you listening?

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Was it not that the weights fell out of the saddlecloth at the gate?

RUK actually said this on air. Were you listening?

No, I never heard that said, was it announced over the PA at the track? If so, why was the RUK presenter quite rightly in my view continually complaining about the lack of information being given out and the time elapsed and also asking for Rod Street and Racing for Change to get involved?

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

I was at Thirsk last night and it was frustrating that the demotion was announced five minutes before the final race but no Stewards’ Report read out over the PA. Hence some confusion for those racegoers (myself included) who left straight after the last to avoid the queues but didn’t know

how

the jockey weighed in light. Only those in earshot of the Weighing Room would have been able to pick up this information immediately, I guess.
    On this occasion, I felt there was enough time to read out the Stewards’ Report before the final race. I wonder if Silvoir could let us know what time lapse there is, if any, between the result of the enquiry, the production of the Stewards’ Report and the announcement of the Stewards’ Report over the PA?
    I’ve just looked at the BHA site but the Stewards’ reports for yesterday are not up yet!

Participant
    • Total Posts 7235

I’ve just looked at the BHA site but the Stewards’ reports for yesterday are not up yet!

I suspect reports on the BHA site are entered during ‘office time’ on week days. I’ve noticed there’s always a delay with weekend reports being entered.

In answer to

eddie case

‘s query regarding the number of riders weighing in light. A search through the Stewards’ Enquiry databse suggests it’s very few. I searched on ‘Clerk of the scales’ and found 21 instances since the start of 2009, not all directly regarding weighing in at hte wrong weight. The majority were weighing in overweight, I suspect because the rider omitted a peice of equipment when weighing out. I suspect all the weighing in light instances were due to something falling out or off during the race. Whatever precautions are taken it does happen occasionally, as do slipping saddles, broken reins and other peices of equipment.
    I can’t see that the statement "Seems to happen more here than anywhere" can be justified without, a) checking the BHA database first or b) checking other databases. There is a search facility on the Irish Turf club site but I haven’t quite mastered ti sufficiently to get comparison figures. an initial search on ‘Clerk of the scales’ throws up more mentions that the UK, but I’m not sure I’m searching like for like.

Rob

• Total Posts 276

Just to clear up any misconception … the comment by the Racing UK commentary team about the weight cloth falling off during the race was a light hearted throw away line by, I think, Peter Naughton to try and explain how the horse had managed to finish so fast :) … they had no visual evidence at the time that this was the case

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

I can’t see that the statement "Seems to happen more here than anywhere" can be justified without, a) checking the BHA database first or b) checking other databases. There is a search facility on the Irish Turf club site but I haven’t quite mastered ti sufficiently to get comparison figures. an initial search on ‘Clerk of the scales’ throws up more mentions that the UK, but I’m not sure I’m searching like for like.

Rob

Rob, I think it’s an entirely reasonable assumption for me to make based on my knowledge of the issue, note I say "seems" and not that I have irrefutable proof. For this issue I would include Ireland with us as in running betting is available for both countries and would be interested how the figures in Britain & Ireland compare to the likes of America & France where I can hardly ever remember this issue occurring.
    Do they get disqualified there if they weigh in a 4oz bag of sweets too light and how often does it happen?

21 in this country alone since 2009 "seems" a lot to me and I would be interested how that figure compares to say 10 years ago.
    Don’t believe the BHA take this issue as seriously as they should and the possible integrity issues that may ensue from it happening.

• Total Posts 276

By the way, would love to know what he traded at in running …… as Peter Naughton said just after he’d crossed the line … "someone’s just lost their house on that one" … don’t know much about "in running" but am I right in thinking there’s a 999/1 limit on the odds ??? … of course, beyond that, what people are willing to stake or lay against those odds is up to them presumably ???

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Small fry on this occasion BHL, only £2 at 1000 on Sunbow and £5000 at 1.01 on the eventual "winner".

• Total Posts 276

Always remember Francome telling stories about changing his boots between the weighing room and the parade ring … here’s a nice little article I found which doesn’t add much to the argument here but is amusing nevertheless ….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horser … right.html

• Total Posts 276

Small fry on this occasion BHL, only £2 at 1000 on Sunbow and £5000 at 1.01 on the eventual "winner".

Thanks Eddie … quite surprising really … although the 8.05 at Thirsk on a Saturday night is not exactly "prime time" audience I guess.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7235

Rob, I think it’s an entirely reasonable assumption for me to make based on my knowledge of the issue, note I say "seems" and not that I have irrefutable proof. For this issue I would include Ireland with us as in running betting is available for both countries and would be interested how the figures in Britain & Ireland compare to the likes of America & France where I can hardly ever remember this issue occurring.
    Do they get disqualified there if they weigh in a 4oz bag of sweets too light and how often does it happen?

21 in this country alone since 2009 "seems" a lot to me and I would be interested how that figure compares to say 10 years ago.
    Don’t believe the BHA take this issue as seriously as they should and the possible integrity issues that may ensue from it happening.

eddie

The threshold for weighing in is one pound below the weighted out level, so it’s hardly a 4oz bag of sweets. You have to allow enough for sweating off a bit in hot weather.

If your point is that one instance is ‘too many’ then I agree just as one instance of careless riding is too many, but that doesn’t mean to say it isn’t going to happen occasinally. Given that Clerks of The Scales are doing their job then the evidence available suggest that failnig to weigh-in at the correct weight is happening on a significant basis.

Given time I could probably find out how often it happends in US and French racing, and being a tenacious b***er then I probably would in time! However, you do seem to be using a supposition that ‘their performance is better than ours’ based on what you are aware of, rather than an in-depth knowledge of the US and French racing authorities country/state wide. I just looked at the Kentucky Racing Authority page and though the stats may be hidden away somewhere it’s not easy to find them. In comparison I find the BHA site a good deeal easier to search, but that’s a ‘by the way’.

Rob

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.