The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Suarez. Boot him out?

Home Forums General Sports Suarez. Boot him out?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Yes.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

I would like to say that I’m surprised by what happened yesterday, but the sport of football is sinking lower and lower.

When Manchester United and Liverpool met in the FA Cup at the end of January, there was no justification in booing Evra. What exactly had the guy done wrong? Don’t think I’m being naive, I understand that football fans generally aren’t the most philosophical, enlightened bunch on the planet and they tend to adopt a neanderthal, ‘monkey see monkey do’, sheep mentality, but that was just embarrassing.

"Oh, look, there’s that guy who was racially abused by one of our players. Let’s boo him because he got our player banned."

Pathetic.

Evra reported an incident that he believed was racially motivated. Even if this was a case of ‘lost in translation’ and the comment was taken out of context, Luis Suarez – in a confrontational dispute – saw fit to identify the colour of Evra’s skin. The Manchester United player was subsequently proven to be truthful in his claims.

Evra, the victim, yesterday extended to Suarez, the aggressor, an olive branch so they may draw a line under this sorry situation. Suarez rejected it.

The resulting win for United saw Evra celebrate in front of his own supporters. There was no malice involved and he did not antagonize the Liverpool supporters – even after their uncalled-for actions two weeks earlier. One could argue he went over the top, but after what happened at Anfield, the Suarez snub and subsequent victory in a must win game against their big rivals, who could blame him for being so emotional? He was celebrating with those who supported him throughout this ugly episode – the fans.

Whereas Evra can justify his ‘heat of the moment’ actions at the end of the game, Suarez does not have such an excuse. His snub was a premeditated, calculated act and he should be punished for it. The extent of which I will allow others to decide.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Booted out for what?

Bad manners when the majority of players spit and swear in every game. You would probably see better behaviour on the Jeremy Kyle Show, the host excepted.

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 686

Booted out for what?

Bad manners when the majority of players spit and swear in every game. You would probably see better behaviour on the Jeremy Kyle Show, the host excepted.

Booted out for kneeing his manager in the groin. Dalglish has gone out on a limb for him in a big way in the last few months, risking his own reputation and his relationship with the FA and Premier League by insisting that Suarez has done nothing wrong and should not have been banned for eight matches. Then on Wednesday of this week, among general comments about putting this problem into the past, Dalglish said: "I have spoken with Suarez about it, and I know he will shake the hand of Patrice Evra." Misunderstandings and misdemeanors can eventually be put to one side, but abusing your boss (and a Liverpool legend) is a definite no-no.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

It’s like politicians, they’ve apologised now so all is okay – presumably as long as JT has apologised before he gets to court the case will be dismissed.

The behaviour of suarez, the fans and the manager is not a surprise, the only unexpected thing has been the apology – that must have come from the US.

It’s what Sepp said wasn’t it – we don’t support racism but if you are racist, just say sorry and shake hands and it’s okay?

Seems the rules for them are not as tough as the forum rules, he’d have been booted for sure from here – how about apologies and e-handshakes instead of boots in future?

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28449

I know I must be the last to know, but what was actually allegedly said in the first place? I don’t buy newspapers other than an occasional Racing Post. TV news seems to skirt around the words.

I’ve heard one or two things, just don’t want to prejudge on heresay before giving an opinion.

Value Is Everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25482

Boot him out?

I knew Ferguson couldn’t just mind his own business, he said Suarez should never play again for L’Pool.

But what is worse?

Suarez non hand shake or Eric Cantona doing a kung-fu kick on a spectator? :roll:

Member since March 2008
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

It is not ‘hand shake’ vs ‘kung fu kick’, it is racist insults followed by denial, inappropriate support from manager and team-mates, continued denial and deliberate inflamation of a very delicate situation that could, as AF said, had caused a riot, considering the fans involved.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25482

I agree Suarez and L’Pool have handled the situation backwards but do find Fergusons comments on kicking LS out of the game laughable, he is just one big **** stirrer, bugger all to do with him.

The FA punished Suarez with an 8 game ban and it is up to them to decide if LS should be allowed to play in England not Fergie if L’Pool don’t punish him.

Any idiots that want an excuse to riot should be held accountable for their own individual actions, not LS, imo.

Member since March 2008
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

I agree Suarez and L’Pool have handled the situation backwards but do find Fergusons comments on kicking LS out of the game laughable, he is just one big [expletive] stirrer, bugger all to do with him.

The FA punished Suarez with an 8 game ban and it is up to them to decide if LS should be allowed to play in England not Fergie if L’Pool don’t punish him.

Any idiots that want an excuse to riot

, not LS, imo.

Key words, everything has a starting point, if you start something that leads to something else happening you cannot simply wash your hands, walk away and say "it was nothing to do with me guv"

The only reason Liverpool, LS and KD apologised is because they were told to, do the right thing, otherwise they would have continued sulking claiming it wasn’t them, etc.

They behaved like naughty children and like naughty children they were scolded by their parents and told to say sorry but like naughty children they don’t think they have done wrong or mean their apology.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25482

That’s fine but it’s up to Liverpool to boot him out or the FA. My Point is Fergie shouldn’t be playing judge, jury and executioner as he always does, trying to influence everyone like he does with referees. He thinks Suarez is a disgrace, fair enough he has the right to his opinion but saying he should not play for L’Pool again, whether it be justified or not is taking it a bit far in mine.

Member since March 2008
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

I agree and even he probably now in the cold light of day thinks his comment about never playing again was OTT but then again, like you correctly point out, he is not judge, jury or executioner and cannot stop anyone other than his own players playing and what he said in the heat of the moment was just his opinion, nothing more.

The whole sorry mess was caused by Suarez, then compounded by him and his manager creating something that snowballed into another big mess we could all do without.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.