The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Start of the Jumps Season Proper

Home Forums Horse Racing Start of the Jumps Season Proper

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

By ‘eck, they’re making us wait for it!

Even despite 3 good-ish meets Sunday, it all boils down to Chepstow a week Saturday.

TBH, don’t mind; the Free Handicap/Timeform meeting was always the starting gun for me.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5629

Even despite 3 good-ish meets Sunday, .

These three domestic NH meetings of long standing on Arc Sunday are my – wholly unnecessary – definition of the start to the ‘proper’ NH season.

Re-subscribed to RUK…

…Exeter, Wincanton and Carlisle kick off next week…

…the sun is in the descendant, but this isle is a brighter place :)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

Bangor next Saturday; thats the start of our NH season. Tried Chepstow last year, but glad to be back at Bangor this year.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I will be at Bangor next week as indeed will a lot of Haydock members as it is our reciprocal.

Arc Saturday always used to be Chepstow on Grandstand and should be put back in its place due to the BBC shafting of the sport.

Free Hurdle and Mercedes Benz Chase kicked off the proper start to the jumps.

That said the Friday card at Carlisle usually has one or two decent races and is worth keeping an eye on.

AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 506

I will be at Bangor next week as indeed will a lot of Haydock members as it is our reciprocal.

Arc Saturday always used to be Chepstow on Grandstand and should be put back in its place due to the BBC shafting of the sport.

Free Hurdle and Mercedes Benz Chase kicked off the proper start to the jumps.

That said the Friday card at Carlisle usually has one or two decent races and is worth keeping an eye on.

Yeah, Chepstow, same weekend as the Arc and the Cambridgeshire.
    The Timeform Free Handicap 4yo Hurdle, plus the MercedesBenz Chase – wasn’t it Midnight Madness who won it a couple of times?

I find it sad just how bad the sport is covered now, as regards Terrestrial TV. I can remember rushing home from school just to watch the final 1-2 races on a midweek/ Friday card. What has happened? :(

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Yep, Chepstow was always where the tapes went up on the NH season for me.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

April 26th at Ludlow and Wetherby was the start as far as I’m concerned, chums. 8)

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’m not sure whether the meeting still exists, but I always regarded a Saturday meeting at Kempton, featuring a 3m H’cap Chase (sponsored by Chrysalis??) as the start of the jumps proper.

On the subject of the loss of midweek racing on TV, the weird thing is that they come from the premier tracks of N’ket, Ascot and Cheltenham. (Sorry, forgot about the Fridays before the Whitbread and Eclipse, so we’ve also lost a couple from Sandown as well.)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’m not sure whether the meeting still exists, but I always regarded a Saturday meeting at Kempton, featuring a 3m H’cap Chase (sponsored by Chrysalis??) as the start of the jumps proper.

On the subject of the loss of midweek racing on TV, the weird thing is that they come from the premier tracks of N’ket, Ascot and Cheltenham. (Sorry, forgot about the Fridays before the Whitbread and Eclipse, so we’ve also lost a couple from Sandown as well.)

The Charisma (Records) Gold Cup. Everett wins for the Walwyn/Shilston partnership. Nap.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Well, I knew it was a record company.

I’m dreading the quiz tomorrow evening – it seems I spent the ’80s in a drunken haze.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Still exists, albeit on the middle Sunday of October nowadays.

It was the meeting that last year featured Snap Tie’s eclipsing of Katchit, and also Oumeyade’s catch-as-catch-can display. As for the "Charisma" itself? What passes as that contest these days is now a very, very ordinary 3m handicap tagged onto the end of the afternoon’s procedings and much the poor relation to the other contests mentioned.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

……if you were an Irish trainer, where would you go?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Looking forward to it personally, hope we can all make it a profitable winter – come on TRF!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Ffos Las on the Sunday [11th]……if you were an Irish trainer, where would you go?

Would suspect the Ffos Las card has the lower-banded races of the two meetings on this occasion, so I guess it depends what class of animal you were sending over.

From a costs perspective, Ffos Las is about 90 miles closer to home, though!

gc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.