The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

St Leger 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion St Leger 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    patriot1patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

For me Pyledriver stayed but being stuck on the edge of the pack wasn’t ideal and then the ground he forfeited hanging over to the far side may have made the difference, not to mention the fact he had nothing to race against.

Oh, and it may have helped had he been played later.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2846

Looks a very average year to me. In a normal year a horse like Santiago would not be Coolmore’s only main middle distance horse as he’s no star himself…

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1091

Martin Dywer has just said it was “too far for Pyledriver.”
    Yet he looked like he’d have benefited from some cover. Interesting to hear what the trainer thinks.
    Delighted for Tom Marquand to have got that ride and an English classic in the bag.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

He’s some horse to get that close in a classic despite not staying, probably the best 3 year old colt in training just beaten by stronger stayers on the day.

Edit – obviously I mean over middle distances

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 344

Im unsure. Seemed to finish as well as anything once he ran straight.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2195

Tinman i think Serpentine might be.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1304

Well done those that got on at good prices. Think that confirms it’s a average bunch of 3 year old stayers this year

patriot1patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Pyledriver was only beaten a length. Not bad for a non stayer. Still think he lost more than a length by hanging and was disadvantaged by having nothing to race against in the last two furlongs.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 535

Thank you Venture.

Well done to Silver Spoon + Final Furlong, although I wish you lads had been second.

isinglassisinglass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 372

What the hell is it with jockeys now and this desire to all head off to the centre of the course in the home straight – especially when the going is apparently good so should be no disadvantage against the rail.

Pyledriver wandered at a critical time last time so should have been kept to the rail , stick in right hand and crack on , literally.

Doesn’t matter what the rest do.

Clueless – didn’t have a bet so not affected but good grief.

I.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2195

Which rail you talking about? If its far rail then no, he wouldve been thrashed. Winners have been coming middle or near side.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1091

Pyledriver wandered about and lost plenty of ground. I’m certainly no expert but it looked for all the world that he needed to be in the pack. Certainly got the trip even though he was getting to the end of his range. Best horse won on the day. Another rider, maybe another route. With cover, he gets within a head of the leading two.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 536

Four horses separated by fewer than two lengths. Doubt we have seen a good one.

It could be that we saw a much better 3yo middle distance colt about an hour later when Tiger Moth bolted up at Leopardstown. Even Ryan Moore sounded quite enthusiastic about him when interviewed on RTV!

Maybe Coolmore should have run him here instead of Santiago. I expect he will prove himself the better horse in the long run.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2195

Four horses separated by fewer than two lengths. Doubt we have seen a good one.

That may not be necessarily true. The time was one of the quickest in recent years, and horses that didn’t win can come out of it blossoming in later racing life. Like Stradivarius.

Maybe Coolmore should have run him here instead of Santiago. I expect he will prove himself the better horse in the long run.

AOB said he didn’t think Tiger Moth would stay at this time, and was gonna keep him over shorter trips.

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2747

I think Pyledriver might win a weak Group race over that trip but there’s always the chance of a more genuine stayer beating him, particularly if conceding weight
    He’s a top class horse and should be kept to 1m4f

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.