The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

St Leger 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion St Leger 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Despite Fame and Glory heading for the Arc AOB still looks to have a strong hand in this years race.

Golden Sword has been put in at 4/1 fav ahead of Henry Ceci’ls Ascot winner Father Time at 6/1.

Golden Sword ran a good race in both Derby bet his forceful style of running could set him up for a fall at Doncaster.

I thought everything suited him in the Irish but in the end he was beaten very easily. He tried to slip the field turning for home and it looked quite a decisive move for a bit until Fame and Glory came on the scene.

Don’t know whether it was the trip being a bit short or not but Golden Sword after his excertions looked like he just about had enough in the last 1/2 furlong.

Mourayn on the other hand was starting to run on like a real stayer again and made up about 3 lengths on him.

Of course the St Leger most likely wouldn’t be run in the same way and Golden Sword may not be asked to take it up so soon. He has got a bit of toe but if this is going to be down to pure staying power Mourayan 9/1 and 8/1 looks a knocking EW bet to me.

If by any chance the ground came up good that would surely bring Masterofthehorse into the reckoning. He certainly never enjoyed the ground in the Irish Derby and he may not have gotten over his race at Epsom quite as well as Golden Sword did.

He was certainly fancied more than Golden Sword was if the betting in the Irish Derby is any real indication of what AOB and co thought.

SMS has the patience of a saint with his horse. He pulled Harbinger out of the Derby to give him a bit more time and he now heads to Goodwood if he is fully fit in time after a set back. Failing that he goes for go for the Great Voltigeur before heading for the St Leger but there’s 2 big if about him. Will he get the trip and if he does is he as good as horses like Fame and Glory?

For me he’s a two tier bet…definitely back in his next race and if he wins well wait till SMS says he goes for sure before backing him in the St Leger. He showed loads of speed at Chester over 10 furlongs and that’s hardly a pointer to 1m6f round Donnie in the pissin rain.

Mourayan EW will do for me at very generous odds. I’d be amazed if John Oxx didn’t send him

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I won’t hear about anything other than a Black Bear Island win :). Has the absolutely perfect profile for the race and has followed pretty much the same race pattern as 3 other winners in the past 14 years, Milan included. The St Leger goes hand in hand with soft ground and that’ll suit him perfectly.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

AOB has lots of choices for this race.

There is Age of Aquarius, Grand Ducal, Aristocrat and last weeks runaway maiden winner Von Jawlensky.

There are others as well.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

I agree about Black Bear Island, but he has too run well in the Great Voltiger, not win it but run well, horses who win or place in that race have a good record.

Plus the tracks at York and Donny are very simlar bar have the incline at Donny called Rose Hill.

Trails are best run over courses that are simlar, look at the crap form that resulted form running the Voltiger at Goodwood ins twad of running at say Haydock or Doncaster…

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Holberg out for the season.

Think Golden Sword and Mourayan could be fighting this one out.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Golden Sword looks the obvious candidate. Has O’Brien confirmed that this is the target? There must be a fear that he might still be looking to win a Group 1 with him at 1m4f. For that reason I would leave the race alone. On Irish Derby running I suspect Masterofthehorse will be dropped back in trip.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Hasnt BBI been sold to a American?

I be suprised if he doesnt go for the Breeders Cup Turf to be honest after this move and then stay in America after the race.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Yes, his last race before leaving Ballydoyle, he should be actually racing the only horse to defeat Sea The Stars in Driving Snow after this race.

Won’t be running again in UK or Ireland after this.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Age Of Aquarius looks like a good bet to me. He never stopped galloping in that french race.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7239

I backed Masterofthehorse but i looked at Cashmans and they do not have him listed there for the race.So do you think he not be running in the ST Leger.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

No Idea about him but if the Irish Derby is a guide I wouldn’t think sending him to Donnie would be a good idea.

Harbinger and Father Time will go their separate ways at Goodwood. The Gordon Stakes and The Great Volitiguer.

Father Time may avoid Harbinger but he will more than likely come up against a horse who could in time be even better than Harbinger in Glass Harmonium.

There is a doubt about both of SMS’s actually getting the Leger trip so getting stuck in to Harbinger might be the wrong thing to do as there is no guarantee he will go to Doncaster. I backed him myslef but currently Mourayan remains my first choice but as he is 33 on the machine now I am still wondering if he will actually run.

After Goodwood Glass Harmonium could perhaps become SMS’s Leger horse. He went from 209 to 16 on the machine the other day drifted to 79 and dropped again to 54. Looks like someone is having a few quid on just in case.

I can’t wait to see him run again he was at the top of my list for horses to follow this year and I won’t hesitate to back him to beat Father Time.

Whatever happens at Goodwood the Leger market is very likely to be turned on it’s head. If Harbinger and Glass Harmonium had to win their races well: Harbinger’s price would drop like a stone for the Leger and my guess is GH would head to the USA for the Breeders. We live in hope :wink:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Alwaary ran a cracking Leger trial in the King George, and really should be favourite for this.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Agreed, DJ. He’s a late foal who’s still progressing hand over fist to boot.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

On seeing the Lingfield Derby trial I had Age Of Aquarius down as a likely St Leger winner and after his recent run in France my view was supported. Got 10/1 wouldn’t swap that bet at the moment. Mourayan I think is another to consider.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Dettori was talking about Kite Wood as a serious Leger horse after his victory last time out.

A bit surprised this classy sort is available at double figures. He looked a Leger horse after his victory at Newmarket.

Are Godolphin still aiming the horse at the final classic?

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I backed Masterofthehorse but i looked at Cashmans and they do not have him listed there for the race.So do you think he not be running in the ST Leger.

Well sadly Masterofthehorse is no longer at Ballydoyle and was bought, after Goodwood he will go to Qatar.

Black Bear Island too is no longer at Ballydoyle.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I thought the time was about right to take the 7s on age of Aquarius, on the strength of his run in the Grand prix de paris. I don’t envisage the extra distance being too much of a problem.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.