The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Spring Cup 2007

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Spring Cup 2007

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

In terms of the future, probably a better race than the Winter Derby so worthy of it’s own thread I think. Once again a fascinating mix of classy turf form again proven all-weather effectiveness. Whereas the Derby has the potential to be muddling with few confirmed front runners, this looks sure to be well run. Even without the NR Cav Okay, Hinton Admiral, Stevie Gee, Aahayson, Evens And Odds, Fares and Si Foo have all made the running/raced up with the pace in their short careers to date.

That given I think the race is likely to be set up for a hold-up horse and the one I’m siding with is Mastership. He probably has ability and quirkiness in equal amounts but he looks potentially smart under the right conditions and I think he’ll get them today, held up off a fast pace and running on through beaten horses. He’s fully effective at 6f to 8.6f, as he showed when winning handicaps on the bridle either side of Christmas so this intermediate tripo should be fine. Draw unlikely to be a problem as he’ll be dropped out anyway and it’s just a question of whether he gets the gaps I think.

At a bigger price I think Evens and Odds will run well. Evidently highly regarded, he looked in need of further behind Danum Dancer and Redcar last time and the step up in trip will suit.

slipperytoadslipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

I came to the same conclusion in terms of pace and my pin suggested that the race will be run to suit. Hurricane Spirit.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

James Willoughby

<br>"Today at Lingfield, however, the Betdirect-sponsored card shows exactly what can be achieved when good races are framed"

<br>David Johnson

"probably a better race than the Winter Derby so worthy of it’s own thread I think. Once again a fascinating mix of classy turf form again proven all-weather effectiveness."

Spot on Willo and DJ and this is the race i’m most looking forward too

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

;) semple quoted in a scottish paper that big timer would not be beaten

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Ian Semple could be right, but im having an e/w tickle on a horse that imo did not show it’s ability on it’s last two races of 2006, due to the way they were run,  but today he should  have the race run more to his liking

My main concern is the jockey S Drowne, he’s ok, but there are jockeys who ride the AW better, however, the price compensates ;)

(Edited by empty wallet at 1:48 pm on Mar. 24, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

I usually give early season 3yo races a wide berth, but had a look at this as it is a really good race.<br>Hurricane Spirit has a poor draw, and I’m not convinced he wouldn’t be better at 6f.<br>Big Timer has the form in the book, and as a geldiing, has nothing to lose by dropping in class.His draw and his manner of racing suggest a very big run, with maybe Hinton Admiral to make a race of it.<br>No bet for me, but a cracking race to watch, and learn from.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

I think Big Timer will be well beaten but I’d be happy to be proved wrong as I’m not playing in the race and I like the horse and trainer.

Evens And Odds each-way for me, hypothetically.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Valdan looks an interesting horse for this year EW, I wasn’t sure to make of his run in the Washington Singer as he seemed to shape well but the race looked muddling. However next time he ran a cracker at Southwell and he went into my ‘notebook’ as one to look out for later in the year but sadly he went missing.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Valdan needs to improve to get to the likes of Big Timer (who i think is the most likely winner tbh) but I always thought " 3 year old" DJ and he’s worth a little nibble at price

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

JP has ridden a brilliant race on Hinton Admiral, but I notice Eddie Ahern was at his (pathetic) best aboard Mastership.

Fiver says it p*sses up next time.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

They didn’t go quick enough for Mastership. I wouldn’t be blaming Ahern there

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Don’t wanna take owt away from winner and agree with LGR, JP rode a gud one, but i thought race was a tad disappointing with not many getting into it at business end

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.