The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Soldier of Fortune

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cheddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29

I see O’Brien has Soldier of Fortune entered and jocked up for Sunday’s German Derby at Hamburg.  I’ve pretty much sorted the German runners but don’t know too much about his one other than what I’ve found on the RP site and a few other places on the net.  A bit out of touch with what’s happening in the UK so was wondering if anyone had any views.  The going looks like being soft.  At moment it’s really heavy but forecast is no more rain before Sunday.<br>It’s not a very good year for 3 year olds in Germany and this could certainly go to a raider.  SOF’s sire is Monsun so should be fine in soft.<br>There’s also Song of Hiawatha and Anton Chekhov in there but these appear to be far less of a danger than SOF.<br>

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

He looks just short of top class but 5th in the Derby means I’d imagine he’ll go off fairly short in Hamburg (without Authorized he would have only been beaten 3 lengths). I don’t know what the German colts are like but I can’t see him out of the frame if you think they’re not up to much.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Soldier of Fortune’s sire is Galileo not Monsun.

cheddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29

er… yes thanks for that spot – I clicked on Persian Storm which is the runner above.   Incidentally Persian Storm is one of the few I rate with a chance.

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

It was my impression that SoF was an intended runner at the Curragh this weekend or have I missed something?

cheddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29

Last year we had Schiaparelli, Lauro, Aspectus and the hugely talented but incredibly pig-headed Oriental Tiger as top 3 year olds.  This year nothing’s as good as these so far.  According to my ratings Shrek and Persian Storm are the best so far but still have a bit to find on anything the above 4 did last year.

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

Soldier of Fortune looks an ideal type having won a Gr2in france at Longchamp, a Group 3 at Chester and being 2nd behind Passage of Time in a further Group 1 all on ground with cut in it, before running 5th in the Derby on fast ground.

O’brien has today , however, said he was a likely runner in the irish Derby on sunday!! so maybe he is relying on Anton Chekov for the German derby?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I believe the Anton Chekhov runs in Germany with Colm O’Donoghue riding.<br>

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Adrian is correct. Anton Chekhov runs in the Deutsches Derby.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.