The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2007

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2007

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Soldier of Fortune, the only horse to give his running on bad ground and grossly flattered by the bare margin of victory or a machine on soft ground that was heavily backed by connections once they knew he’d got his conditions. Discuss.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Best horse in the conditions on the day by a mile and the connections probably knew. The Curragh is also a fair track.

If Fallon had ridden the winner he would have been the only thing the media would have gone on about. Best horse on the day won.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Both surely

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

You can’t deny that Soldier Of Fortune was impressive.

That said he did handle the ground easily better than anything else, Eagle Mountain didn’t seem to get home on the ground and there’s absolutely no doubt that The Soldier was flattered by the winning distance in relation to how good he is over the others.

Soldier Of Fortune is clearly a good horse given very soft ground but I can’t see him beating Authorized whatever the conditions.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Neither.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

More the latter than the former. I suspect that Alexander of Hales, Mores Wells and Prince Erik ran their races as well as the winner.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

Does anyone think if the epsom winner had turned up he would of beaten solider of fortune??? not so sure myself

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Does anyone think if the epsom winner had turned up he would of beaten solider of fortune??? not so sure myself

Yes.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Well the betting told the story before the race with Eagle Mountain unwanted in the market (I don’t think the late move inwards had cash behind it) and Soldier Of Fortune very well supported.

If connections knew that Soldier Of Fortune would be suited by the conditions, which he certainly was, why did Fallon opt (or get put on) Eagle Mountain? I would guess that Soldier Of Fortune ran upto expectations but Eagle Mountain ran below expectations. I’d also guess it was very testing ground and I’m not sure if I’ll take much notice of the race’s form when I look at the horses that were in it running next time.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Well the betting told the story before the race with Eagle Mountain unwanted in the market (I don’t think the late move inwards had cash behind it) and Soldier Of Fortune very well supported.

If connections knew that Soldier Of Fortune would be suited by the conditions, which he certainly was, why did Fallon opt (or get put on) Eagle Mountain? I would guess that Soldier Of Fortune ran upto expectations but Eagle Mountain ran below expectations. I’d also guess it was very testing ground and I’m not sure if I’ll take much notice of the race’s form when I look at the horses that were in it running next time.[/quote[/i:237h8h9s]]

I would very much doubt that connections were at all surprised by today’s result.
    Call it a gift to JAH for services rendered if you like; it’s happened with others and will happen again, but no way was it an accident.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Great Arc trial- get on!

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Does O Brien know at all what he has got ??,overrated trainer with the best of bloodlines provided by the Coolmore syndicate ?? agree wallace, were we lucky the whip abuser Fallon didn’t win, we would struggle to remember the horses name with all the Fallon flatterers, great for Seamie goes to show the best horse will usually win, but tell that to the Fallon flatterers.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

SOF made the most of conditions today and will , obviously, take some beating when the ground is very soft. But this is flat racing, and I just can’t enthuse over heavy ground performances , no matter how visually impressive .

naps
    • Total Posts 159

Marz, your Fallon bashing obsession is quite frightening. I think we all know you dislike him a great deal, but are we going to have to suffer your rants every time he doesn’t win a race?

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I see the RP has awarded Soldier Of Fortune a Topspeed rating of 124 and a RPR of 129 which suggests they believe the race was well up to the usual standard despite the absence of Authorized. So, a big improvement on Epsom form for the winner which can only be put down to the ground because he was beaten fair and square in that race. The conclusion is that purely on race times for the day(presuming they are correct), this was a top class performance regardless of how many opponents ran to form on the soft ground, and the winner is a force to be reckoned with, provided he gets these same conditions again. Paris in October can be quite soggy, but you have to wait for the day; if it’s not very soft, he won’t even line up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.