Sir Erec

Home Forums Memorials Sir Erec

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  greenasgrass 3 hours, 24 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1127

A catastrophic injury. Poor poor horse….. That’s it for today.

Just can’t believe it….. Nothing uglier than the swinging leg.

Rest in Peace Sir Erec

Was it the leg that was re-shoed???

chaos50
    chaos50
    Participant
    • Total Posts 165

That was awful to watch, so sad for all connections.

R.I.P Sir Erec :cry:

All comers, all ground, all beaten

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 886

Sickening to watch, especially after the coverage of him being so well behaved and relaxed while being re-shod. Cast a shadow over the whole Festival

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1127

Yeah, what a beautiful and professional horse he was. Just too tough to believe that they can’t be saved.

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 262

That was brutal.

I’m so sorry for anyone close to the beautiful Sir Erec. Ruined racing’s day as far as I’m concerned

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

I don’t think it really matters which leg it was. RIP Sir Erec, a great racehorse and potential stallion lost

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1082

He was such a saint when being re-shod before the race; clearly a horse of great intelligence as well as top class ability.

Rest in peace, Sir Erec.

Ghost of Rob V
    Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 713

It might be just me but while Sir Erec was being re-shod, there was a tender moment when the other horses walked away from him and he turned his head as if to say “Why are you leaving me alone?” At that instant, I had a bad feeling about the horse. It kinda felt like something was wrong and that he shouldn’t have ran.

When he broke down mid-race, I felt sick. Destroyed my day.

RIP Sir Erec … and what an angel!

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20339

Ruined the whole day for me, such a shame.. :-(

RIP Sir Erec you beautiful boy.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7737

I know what you mean Ghost. I think he endeared himself to everyone the way he just stood there patiently. Reminded me of other instances where tragic events unfolded.

lochinver
    lochinver
    Participant
    • Total Posts 181

I took a picture on my mobile of the TV screen – he was such a handsome horse and how he stood there so proud and unconcerned whilst he was re-plated will forever haunt me … minutes later I was distraught … poor lad … what a future he could have had …

Crepello1957
    Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 713

Yes he looked a lovely kind horse but this was an accident waiting to happen. Anyone looked at his closely inbred pedigree? A horse with his breeding was not suitable for stud he shouldn’t have even been jumping. Had he lived and been to stud to weakness of the breed would continue for other generations. Hope more people actually consider improving the gene pool and cut the amount of Northern Dancer line flat bred horses over jumps and at stud.

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 886

I did think this about his pedigree Crepello. The number of stallions inbred to Northern Dancer being promoted as NH sires is a concern.

Funny you should say that Ghost (& Moehat). As he was being shod, I had a flashback to Synchronised before the Grand National and hoped he might end up being withdrawn (even though I’d backed him). I wonder if they will be reviewing this. Mostly it’s fine of course but must be difficult for officials to make a snap decision that a horse should not run just before the off (especially a hot favourite) and the fall-out when something does go tragically wrong is far more damaging to the sport

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7799

I was away for Cheltenham and I taped it but hearing this news and reading all your posts I have deleted the whole lot including the Gold Cup with the tragic loss of Invitation Only
    :cry:
    I couldn’t bear to watch Sir Erec being such a darling boy being shod and knowing his fate. :-(

RIP Sir Erec :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    lochinver
    lochinver
    Participant
    • Total Posts 181

I can completely understand that … I know someone who is part of the syndicate for the winning horse and it was so hard to celebrate that win … what happened completely overshadowed it … the tv stayed so long on him whilst he was being re-plated and he won many admirers in those few minutes …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.