The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sea The Stars: "He has nothing left to prove"

Home Forums Horse Racing Sea The Stars: "He has nothing left to prove"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    RobinFromIreland
    • Total Posts 72

“It seems to me that that the attention Sea The Stars is receiving promotes what I see as two very bad ideas. The first is that a horse can establish itself as a Champion in a single season. The second is that an unbeaten string of victories is the true mark of a great horse.”

— Nick Mordin http://www.nickmordin.com/france.htm

A fair point, or do the unique exploits of Sea The Stars’ achievements make the above moot?

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7239

They should retire the horse but i am saying because as soon as he retired i win money for it.Because after the Coral Eclipse, Hills were offering 5/1 for him to stay unbeaten in 2009.So Mr Oxx retire him please so i can get paid out.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sea The Stars is racing in his classic season, bagged the two most prestigious, has taken on his own age group and his elders and hammered every one of them. What else can be used to define a ‘champion’?

And I don’t believe anyone has said that Sea The Stars is a great horse on the basis that he’s won six races on the spin, have they? They may have said that he’s a great horse having won six Group 1s on the spin, in six different months, on differing ground, over anything from eight to twelve furlongs and against older horses with top class form.

It’s just Mordin being Mordin – context means nothing to the man.

And someone needs to tell him that grey text on a black, patterned background is incredibly bad for the eyes.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Well, if I owned Sea The Stars, I’d want to keep him in training as a 4 Y O :D

Yes, he’s won six groups 1’s on the bounce. Beaten all that’s opposed him. Won over a variety of distances. Of course it is proof that he’s a champion … for this year! …

But then, for a horse to come back the following year and do it again against new opposition and potential new champions … it takes something extra special. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again … what if Zarkava had been kept in training thus resulting in a more-than-likey clash with Sea The Stars? What a mouth-watering showdown that would’ve been!

To me, retiring perfectly good champions or brilliant horses at the end of their 3 year old career (just for stud) is a bloody shame and relects a rotten greed for money. I want to see great horses from different generations clashing in top races and not greedy owners who’re only interested in lining their own pockets with money.

Grrrrrr!

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

….. not greedy owners who’re only interested in lining their own pockets with money.

Grrrrrr!

the Tsuis don’t deserve that comment – they had too many brushes with mortality with the dam:

– Urban Sea was raced into her fifth year before a (thankfully not-major) injury forced her retirement.

– they have been through seeing her original rider – son of their French trainer – tragically killed by a truck.

– they have been through her death earlier this year after foaling an Invincible Spirit.

in among all that:

Urban Sea to Sadler’s Wells gave Galileo.

Urban Sea to Cape Cross gave Sea The Stars.

Urban Sea is the special element to them both (apart from Mick Kinane on top), and i totally understand the concern not to risk losing her most successful bloodline.

if she was still around to go again to Cape Cross, maybe a different story.

best regards

wit

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

Does put another perspective on the decision to retire STS

In my case from sad-and-bad to sad-but-understandable

Thanks

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The horse has indeed nothing more to prove.

This idea that in order for a horse to attain true superstar status, it must run at four, is sheer poppycock.

Sea The Stars, like many of the great three year olds before him, proved beyond doubt that he is a supreme champion.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

I wish there were more people like the Tsuis involved in horse racing, and as for young Mr Tsui the joy that he gets from seeing his horse race is part of the pleasure of witnessing this great horse win. I normally would wish to see a horse continue racing but in this case I just want to see Sea the Stars retire unscathed. Everyone involved with him are beyond reproach. This does not smack of a money making venture to me, just a family who love horses and the sport itself; they so deserve the success they have achieved.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

….. not greedy owners who’re only interested in lining their own pockets with money.

Grrrrrr!

the Tsuis don’t deserve that comment – they had too many brushes with mortality with the dam:

– Urban Sea was raced into her fifth year before a (thankfully not-major) injury forced her retirement.

– they have been through seeing her original rider – son of their French trainer – tragically killed by a truck.

– they have been through her death earlier this year after foaling an Invincible Spirit.

I wasn’t specifically refering to the Tsuis. In general, it seems (or comes across) like some kind of rule that 3 Y O champions have to be whisked off to stud just because of.

What happened to Urban Sea and her original rider is just fate I’m afraid. Who knows, if Urban Sea retired at 3 instead of 5, perhaps STS may not have been born? :?

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

It was reported in today’s Sun that STS has run his last race and will NOT head to Santa Anita. Good call, he has proved himself and a trip to Anita would achieve nothing in the grand scheme of things. STS is a superstar already.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

I don’t believe anything written in the Sun so will wait for Mr Oxx to issue a statement

Also, agree that STS has already done MORE than enough this season to prove he’s one of the best, but, if the Oxx team think he’s ready for the BC then that is good enough for me. They’ve made the right decisions all year long and know they’ll make the right one this time

From a selfish angle, I’m hoping for a yes & will be straight on to United Airlines as cannot miss this

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.