The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sanctuaire

Home Forums Memorials Sanctuaire

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Unfortunately killed in a schooling fall after racing at Punchestown today. A great day for Ruby Walsh and Willie Mullins marred by this sad accident after racing.
    R.I.P. Sanctuaire

Participant
    • Total Posts 67

Awful news! RIP Sanctuaire

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

What a shock! How sad for connections. He’ll be missed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16289

Sanctuaire :cry: :cry: I can’t believe the news.
    RIP to one of the best, you were amazing, miss you :(

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

so very sad :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2095

so tragic, broken shoulder and leg, hope he didn’t suffer for to long

rip

vf

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

@ vikingflagship
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    However bear in mind that it was just a schooling accident and he surely wasn’t running at full speed. So it happened probably at a moderate pace and I’m sure he must have had some pain. The atmosphere of a race gets the adrenalin flowing and horses often don’t realise how bad the injury was. During a schooling session they are just popped over a few fences and are not having a hard race. So the pain surely is a lot bigger andtherefore the sufferance.
    It really isn’t normal if a animal breaks its shoulder and a leg. Probably the light conditions were very poor since it happened after racing. The concluding race is being run in almost half-dark conditions during the winter months and this took place even after that. I really have to ask myself whether tis is fair to the animals or not. My conclusion: not at all during the winter period.
    I also wonder why horses HAVE to break their shoulder. This can ONLY occur when the horses misses out the fence completely and it runs against it. Or at least against the core of the fence which is rather unforgiving, especially in IRELAND.
    But these are just my thoughts and no matter how often we will discuss these matters, NOTHING will change. Unless someone could prove me wrong.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

He did say that the horse just dived at the fence. Maybe they were trying to get him to settle more in his races, and definately a horse that needed his mind sorting out. Such a tragedy, though, given the potential of the horse [the only one mentioned in the same breath as Sprinter Sacre last year].When you think about it, we nearly lost Kauto in a schooling accident didn’t.

• Total Posts 433

This is so sad, not just for the horse but for his new owners. Condolences to his stable staff too. RIP boy :(

• Total Posts 811

Hard to comprehend such horrible injuries schooling … RIP Sanctuaire – you were an extemely good racehorse and deserved a much longer life on earth.
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5576

The concluding race is being run in almost half-dark conditions during the winter months and this took place even after that. I really have to ask myself whether tis is fair to the animals or not. My conclusion: not at all during the winter period.

It was plenty bright after the last on Sunday imo.

RIP Sanctuaire, loved his ‘heart on sleeve’ running style.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.