The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

sam thomas

Home Forums Horse Racing sam thomas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    calcotroyal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

Sam Thomas to be paul nicholls number 2 jockey why not  Joe Tizzard he been with Nicholls a long time?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Presumably because Thomas is a far better rider.

quixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

I just wonder what will happen about Christian Williams when he comes back from injury now Sam Thomas is second jockey

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

The RP reports that Christian Williams will not be riding at all this season. Sadly, the shoulder injuries he received appear to be career-threatening.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Assuming Christian Williams makes a full recovery I don’t think he’ll be too concerned if the rides from Nicholls dry up as he’s struck up a good relationship with namesake Evan: a trainer going places.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>I suspect the fact that Sam Thomas can ride at 10st, whereas Joe Tizzard rarely takes anything at less than 10st 10lbs these days, would be the main reason why Joe didn’t get the vote.  

AP

roland
    • Total Posts 302

With regard to Christian williams, my understanding was that he’d suffered from a brachial plexus which involves damage to the nerves down to the hand. If he’s anything like the norm he can expect anything upto full paralysis of the arm which is often amputated later on in life due to phantom pains and complete muscle wastage. though i’m sure a nerve transplant was attempted in his case, i’m not sure how successful regarding full movement recovery they are.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

That sounds similar to the injury Fallon had. In his case it was touch and go for a while whether he’d lose the use of his arm.

Torn/damaged brachial plexus nerves are a serious but all too typical ‘shear’ injury resulting from landing on a shoulder at speed; a frequent complication of motorcycle accidents.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Quote: from quixallcrossett on 3:48 pm on Oct. 23, 2006[br]I just wonder what will happen about Christian Williams when he comes back from injury now Sam Thomas is second jockey<br>

Presumably the letter U will be replaced with the letter F in the horse’s form.

(Edited by Alderbrook at 1:08 am on Oct. 24, 2006)

Ardross
    • Total Posts 98

Quote: from Drone on 5:06 pm on Oct. 23, 2006[br]That sounds similar to the injury Fallon had. In his case it was touch and go for a while whether he’d lose the use of his arm.

Torn/damaged brachial plexus nerves are a serious but all too typical ‘shear’ injury resulting from landing on a shoulder at speed; a frequent complication of motorcycle accidents.<br>

Dunwoody’s career was ended by a similar injury was it not ? It is very sad for a young man like Christian Williams but I have to admit I never rated him and thought his style very agricultural.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Ardross, I would agree with the comment about his agricultural style and I have never quite understood what Nicholls sees in him, but we have to accept that Paul knows a bit more about race-riding than we do.

Colin

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>My suggestion that Joe Tizzard’s minimum riding weight was a factor is rather undermined by the fact that he has one ride at Cheltenham today at 10st 5lbs – Kercabellec in the second race.  

AP

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Tha’s very honest of you to point that out, Alan!:cool:

Colin

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from calcotroyal on 3:09 pm on Oct. 23, 2006[br]Sam Thomas to be paul nicholls number 2 jockey why not  Joe Tizzard he been with Nicholls a long time?<br>

And indeed was sacked as stable jockey.<br>TJ Murphy was of course sacked twice!<br>Never rated Tizzard and agree about Williams being agricultural.<br>Nicholls has a host of riders and conditionals. Remember P Merrigan touted as the next big thing?<br>Thomas is OK rider for Venetia Williams and also rides a few for Hen knight when Murphy not available.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Quote: from apracing on 5:21 pm on Oct. 23, 2006[br]<br>I suspect the fact that Sam Thomas can ride at 10st, whereas Joe Tizzard rarely takes anything at less than 10st 10lbs these days, would be the main reason why Joe didn’t get the vote.  

AP<br>

Erm,and the fact that Tizzard is sodding useless?!  To this day I fail to see what Nicholls has ever seen in Tizzard although to be fair, it was probably his appointment of him to stable jockey at such a tender age that was his undoing.  Although, he had the ability even as a conditional to **** up big style – how the hell he got my horse beaten in a conditional jockeys hurdle at Cheltenham one year I’ll never be able to fathom…  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.