The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

SAM THOMAS

Home Forums Horse Racing SAM THOMAS

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 213 total)
  • Author
    johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Just watched a rerun of the Bigs Buck race, I have to say that Big Bucks is a difficult ride. Down the straight he is fighting with Sam Thomas jumping every fence, he is looking at the crowd, and Thomas is trying to straighten him up all the time. Not sure what he could have done as Big Bucks didn’t want to play ball at all.

JohnJ.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Do you think Ruby Walsh or AP McCoy would have ended up on the floor though if they had ridden Big Bucks? This is the sort of question owners and trainers considering putting Thomas up will be asking themselves.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Yes. Quite possibly. He was one very difficult ride last year and frankly it was an accident waiting to happen. If anyone can make head or tail of the shambles that is the new RP site, would suggest they have a look at some of his past races

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Don’t forget Sam also fell off Master Minded last season when the horse didn’t fall which can’t help.

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

I understand what you’re saying, OTS, but I don’t think for one second that Jimmy Fortune had a choice in that particular matter.
    quote]

No he didn’t and I think he made it very plain what he thought about it subsequently.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

at the end of the day there is only one McCoy and only one Ruby Walsh..it’s like sayng that every footballer should pack up because they’re not George Best..when someones riding is scrutinized to the extent that Sam’s is at the moment people are going to pick faults..maybe he has just got a lot more to learn about race riding and perhaps he should be learning at a less high profile stable..has he actually stated that he has lost his confidence or is this merely speculation on the part of the news media who love a juicy story and are very quick to knock people down once they’ve built them up.. I rather hoped that racing was slightly above this sort of thing….a lot of trainers send their horses to be schooled by others [Henrietta Knight, I believe does a lot of this, as does Ben de Haan]..maybe, as I’ve said before Nicholls buys these precocious French breds that have to be put in non novice races when perhaps they have a lot more to learn..don’t shoot me; I’m only thinking out loud!]

• Total Posts 811

End of speculation – AP on MM ….

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

Well that’s not a surprise given that Thomas didn’t complete on his only ride of the horse and came off Clive Smith’s Kauto Star last time, add to that the fact McCoy rode Smith’s Royal Auclair to festival victory and it makes sense.
    While he hasn’t given everything a great ride recently, Thomas has been incredibly unlucky on a fair few times. Kauto slipped on landing at Haydock and not sure you can blame the jockey for that, Big Buck’s is a dodgy jumper though Nicholls says Thomas didn’t follow instruction and yesterday was just the kind of falls that happen when your luck is out. While he was never the greatest jockey ever last year, just a guy who got to ride loads of good horses, he’s not now become the worst ever either. Racing is just a very fickle game and your last ride is what most people talk about, especially in big races.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

When did Nicholls say Thomas didn’t follow instructions on Big Bucks?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Nicholls told him not to fall off either Kauto or Big Bucks.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

i read somewhere this morning or yesterday that Nicholls had said he and Ruby had told Thomas to keep the horse up the inside and that thhey were surpised to see Thomas coming wide at the last.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

No wonder Clive Smiths colours are Yellow, and as for P.Nicholls his should have a yellow streak down them!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

had told Thomas to keep the horse up the inside and that thhey were surpised to see Thomas coming wide .

Apparently his bird complained that he ignored the same instructions

:shock:

• Total Posts 1063

Can anyone answer this please? When trainers consider the opposition in a race, apart from the opposing horses do they analyze the strengths and weaknesses of individual jockeys. For example, if Sir Alex Ferguson was a trainer with a horse in the same race as Mastermind, knowing Sam Thomas’s current situation, I could well imagine him instructing his rider to put Sam under pressure at every jump. Is that allowed within the Rules of Racing or classed as ungentlemanly conduct?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Ref;- Carvills Hill v Toby Tobias if my memory serves me!

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I’m too young to remember that but did read a book by Brough Scott which mentioned it. Didn’t they just run a horse to not give him an uncontested lead and put pressure on his jumping rather than anything to do with the jockey? I think 1st and formost you have to concentrate on your own horse and race, though you have to have an idea how it will pan out, but can’t believe you can start trying to play games with other jocks in particular or not target them anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

MCFC, iwould imagine its hard enough to get your own horse to jump without playing "Dodgems" with the competition.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 213 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.