The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ryanair

Home Forums Archive Topics Ryanair

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    GDC
    • Total Posts 942

Although this race generally has a competitive look to it, this year i can see a new kid on the block winning. Having a famous half brother KAUTO STONE could be just the horse for this race.

He has looked good so far and will be upped in grade NTO.

:)

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Even as an 11yo i think

Albertas Run

will be placed,it takes a good one to get past him around 2m5f at Cheltenham if he can pull off the treble he will get the race named after him.I see my mate Victor makes him their 6/1fav,20’s on the machine is just too big.

Master Minded

at 10/1 would be my idea of a long range danger,he too likes Cheltenham and might just find the 21/2m more suitable than the 2m the older he gets.Getting 10lb the other day seemed like Xmas! At levels its a different story between the 2.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

No doubt Alberta’s could win this again he’s been here and done it.

I’d be very wary of Master Minded, IMO he’s the first horse you should put a line through.

When horses start to change trips because they simply aren’t as good as they once were then it’s most likely down to desperation.

PN saying he now needs a trip is pure poppycock. He should still be in his prime and be a 2mile legend by now the way he won at 6yo but something is sadly amiss with the horse.

He wasn’t just beaten in the QMCC he was trounced twice. The minute he’s put under pressure he becomes an empty vessel and that at Cheltenham makes him just about the worst bet you could ever have.

I do like Kauto Stone half brother or no half brother he’s a cracking horse going places. The Ryanair should be right upo his street and PN has said he will be aimed at the race.

10/1 isn’t great but 16/1 with Corals is fantabadozy plus they’ll lay you anything up to a whole 2 quid, if it’s win only :lol:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1794

Rubi Light at 25/1 is a big price. Good e/w shout

@TopWeightTom

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

He wasn’t just beaten in the QMCC he was trounced twice. The minute he’s put under pressure he becomes an empty vessel and that at Cheltenham makes him just about the worst bet you could ever have.

Wow, that’s really an excellent point. He’s never found anything off the bridle, great observation.

I thought the Ryanair last year was difficult to solve, but this year it looks like being an absolute nightmare. I really couldn’t even begin to put forward a selection with any kind of confidence, although I’d happily rule out;

Albertas Run (rising 11, winning distance from 2011 much smaller than 2010, injured)

Somersby (barring a Master Minded mistake at the Festival this season, Master Minded would be beating him 5-0)

Captain Chris (My Gold Cup selection, can’t envisage him running in anything else but that)

Noble Prince (Jewson was not a good race and Paul Nolan said AP said he was going flat out at points)

Realt Dubh (don’t think he’s that great)

Tranquil Sea, Kalahari King, Medermit, Wishfull Thinking, Poquelin, Master of the Hall, Golden Silver and Ghizao all for various reasons.

Which I suppose would leave Kauto Stone, Riverside Theatre, Master Minded, Great Endeavour and Rubi Light. Don’t know if Kauto Stone, Master Minded or Great Endeavour will be good enough though.

Completely agree with the post re. Rubi Light being superb value at 25/1. Getting on that right now, excellent price.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5783

I’d have thought Gauvain will come into it after today’s victory and 14s could be value about a horse who might finally be finding some consistency.

Am agreed on Master Minded – here’s a snip from my King George write-up on the thread:

Master Minded

I mentioned that he is not sure to stay 3m. After his first failure over 20f at Aintree when beaten by Voy Por Ustedes (VPU), connections were convinced he was a non-stayer and said he’d be kept to 2 miles. But they had a change of mind after MM met the first decent 2m chaser he’d faced in Big Zeb. Since losing his Champion Chase crown to Big Zeb, he has run just once at 2m.

I think Master Minded’s visually breathtaking Champion Chase win in 2008 was as much a curse as a blessing for him. His official rating shot up from 170 to 186 and he simply was not that good. In VPU he’d beaten a 20f horse. MM was also at the peak of his ascendancy then – everything fell right on that one day and he’s never been able to live up to the hype, or the rating. I think too that he’s possibly a bit quirky – odd to say that about such a consistent horse, but it’s just the impression I get in some of his races.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5783

P Power go 20s Gauvain for Ryanair – twice Coral’s price & too big unless they know something we don’t!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

I just think they know that Gauvain is a completely exposed, 2nd rate horse who’d be coming up against what could be a potentially very hot Ryanair. So what he won the Peterborough? He beat a horse who’s won one race in 2 years and a novice who was readily exposed in pattern hurdle races at the end of last season.

Beaten 28L in last season’s Ryanair which puts him 25L behind Rubi Light, 20.5L behind Poquelin and 6L behind even Tartak – and he’s older than them all. Throw Riverside Theatre, Master Minded and Great Endeavour into the mix and you’ll realise what a monumental task he has even running into a place. His next race is likely to be the Ascot Chase in February, when he’ll probably be running up against Master Minded and Riverside Theatre. He’s not going to be any shorter than 16/1 in March unless he runs a big race up against those 2. I’d fancy him going off longer than 20/1 on the day of the Ryanair to be honest.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5783

I just think they know that Gauvain is a completely exposed, 2nd rate horse who’d be coming up against what could be a potentially very hot Ryanair. So what he won the Peterborough? He beat a horse who’s won one race in 2 years and a novice who was readily exposed in pattern hurdle races at the end of last season.

Beaten 28L in last season’s Ryanair which puts him 25L behind Rubi Light, 20.5L behind Poquelin and 6L behind even Tartak – and he’s older than them all. Throw Riverside Theatre, Master Minded and Great Endeavour into the mix and you’ll realise what a monumental task he has even running into a place. His next race is likely to be the Ascot Chase in February, when he’ll probably be running up against Master Minded and Riverside Theatre. He’s not going to be any shorter than 16/1 in March unless he runs a big race up against those 2. I’d fancy him going off longer than 20/1 on the day of the Ryanair to be honest.

That all seems logical and well argued but I don’t think it’s quite that straightforward. I believe N Fehily makes quite a bit of difference to him and he is now riding him differently (it was Fehily who recommended the P’boro to the trainer after his Cheltenham November win)

I reckon he’ll go up to 162 after today: R Theatre is 165: Gt Endeavour is 157. Rubi Light is rated 164: I wouldn’t back M Minded: Gauvain thrashed Tartak today, Poquelin is far from consistent, Albertas Run is getting on and must have his ground . . . I’m not saying he will win, but I do think 20s is too big by some way.

But’s it’s all about opinions!

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Well a gentleman’s bet says he goes off bigger than 20/1 on the day.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5783

Zarkava, Am happy to give £25 to IJF if he does :D

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Yeah I’ll go along with that :)

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

16/1 available with Stan James for Medermit.

GDC
    • Total Posts 942

Having backed Kauto Stone and happy, i also added Medermit EW at 16s for this event. Ran superbly at the venue yet again Saturday and was unlucky to get mugged by Quantativeasing from a great BJG ride. :D

JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Alan King confirmed Medermit to be aimed at The Ryanair.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

This is the type of race I will leave well alone for the next two / three weeks.

Master Minded and Captain Chris both go to Kempton with a decent chance under one condition – they stay the trip.

In what has to be considered a fact-finding mission for connections regarding trip, their respective Cheltenham targets will rely greatly on how they perform in the King George.

Both Captain Chris and Master Minded are genuine top level performers and are almost certain to compete in the Ryanair if they disappoint over the festive period.

However, if they both run respectable races and conclusively prove they stay three miles, then there’s every chance connections will target the Gold Cup.

Should they not compete in the two mile-five contest, it blows the race wide open and there will certainly be plenty of horses in with a shout of reaching the frame that would otherwise, with the likes of Noble Prince, Albertas Run and Riverside Theatre also likely to run, have next to no chance of running anything but a respectable race.

We should also know more over the coming weeks regarding the respective chances of Albertas Run and Riverside Theatre making it to the track in time for Cheltenham. Connections have already stated how they would like to get a run into their charges prior to March and obviously much will depend on their recovery at this stage of the season.

Rubi Light, another likely major player in the Ryanair, is due to run in the Lexus Chase and should he, like Captain and Master Minded, prove his stamina over three miles, then he will no doubt line-up in the Gold Cup.

We could quite easily be looking at a Ryanair Chase without Captain Chris, Master Minded and Rubi Light, with question marks also over Albertas Run and Riverside Theatre.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Rubi Light at 25/1 is a big price. Good e/w shout

Would just like to thank you again for pointing that out! Very much hoping for a Joncol or QDLR win on Wednesday just to make sure he goes for the Ryanair.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.