The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ryanair Chase

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Ryanair Chase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Does anyone know the conditions of the Ryanair Chase? What are the penalty clauses? Thanks in anticipation.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Weights – 11st,  5-y-olds  10st 8lbs,  mares get 7lbs

Penalties  –  Grade 2 winner 3lbs, Grade 1 winner 7lbs.

No time limits on those penalties and no concessions for novices either.

AP

<br>

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Thanks, Alan.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Just spent 20 minutes looking for them and Pottsy beats be to it!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!;)

Colin

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

why isnt this race a grade one?

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

It is a grade 1 isn’t it? I fancy Monkerhostin at 20-1 only it has multiple enteries at cheltenham as do alot of horses in the race Kauto Star has a entry if he runs surely he only has to get round

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>It’s Grade 2 – Grade 1 races don’t have penalties in their conditions.

It isn’t Grade 1 presumably because we already have Grade 1 races over two and half miles at Ascot in February and Aintree in April.

AP

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

THE RYANAIR CHASE

Class 1, Grade 2, £175,000 Total Prize Fund. 2.35pm, Thursday, March 15, 2007. For five year olds and upwards, two miles & five furlongs. Weights: 5yo 10st 8lb; 6yo+ 11st. Allowances: mares 7lb. Penalties: after September 30, 2005, a winner of a Grade 2 chase 3lb; of a Grade 1 Chase 5lb. Entries closed February 7, entries revealed February 12 (46 entries). Forfeit stage February 20, six-day confirmation stage March 9,

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Perhaps it is time to downgrade the Scilly Isles and Ascot Chases to Grade 2, upgrade the Ryanair to Group 1 and give novices an arbitrary allowance, say 3 or 5lb to encourage their participation.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Rory,

Is that from the Program Book?

Because I looked at the Weatherbys website equivalent when I provided the info this morning and the ‘after September 30,2005’ clause isn’t shown on there.

That surprised me, which was why I mentioned the lack of any time limits.

There also seems to be a difference on the Grade 1 penalty – is it 5lbs or 7lbs?

AP

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Apologies all round – the info supplied by Rory is spot on.

I’ve no idea how I got it so wrong this morning, but checking the Weatherbys website again this evening, I clearly did.

AP

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from davidjohnson on 6:34 pm on Feb. 20, 2007[br]Perhaps it is time to downgrade the Scilly Isles and Ascot Chases to Grade 2, upgrade the Ryanair to Group 1 and give novices an arbitrary allowance, say 3 or 5lb to encourage their participation. <br>

I think they would be afraid of what it would do to the Gold cup.  Lots of speedy 3 milers  would find it easier not to chance the gold cup and the its reputation could suffer over time.

SHL

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I disagree, although in theory if both races were Grade 1 they would be of equal merit, but prize money and prestige would reflect differently.

Every owner and breeder would still aim to have a Gold Cup winner rather than a Ryanair winner.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5108

I rather think that making the Ryanair a Grade 2 was a diplomatic move designed to keep Aintree happy who no doubt covet the Melling Chase it’s position of premier late season event at the trip.

Being somewhat anal when it comes to tidiness I would like to see it upgraded simply because it would then form an orderly set of Grade 1 chases at the Festival.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

If it was made a Gr1 then the Stayers would be again relegated to the #2 race on the card after only 2 years in the limelight on its own. I can’t see it happening for a couple of years yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.