The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

running …. please have a look

Home Forums Horse Racing running …. please have a look

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 60

I have just been watching the london marathon, and a thought came to mind..i am going to do it next year, i have never done a marathon before but when i was younger i was quite good at the long distance races, running for my county..and placing 4th over 5 miles.. anyway.. i thought i would run it next year to raise some money for retired and injured racehorses.. <br>what do you think to the idea and would i be able to raise sponsorship?

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Go for it. Rather you than me though, climb the stairs here at home is about all I can manage.<br>There we’re a few people on T.V yesterday morning who were running in it. From what I can gather there’s  a website dedicated to participants running for  sponsorship.<br>4th over 5 miles in a cross country.Did many winners come out of the race? Do you think you’ll handle the step up in trip and class?How will you handle the ground?( I predict it could be quite firm on the roads of London).We’ll give you a prep run a month or so before hand.As long as we insure not to get caught schooling in public. We could land a monster gamble.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 60

lol.. thanks. <br>No, i havent done any running in a long time, but i think if i train well, and try to go a little further everyday, then i may do ok.. which is why i have posted this now. I dont think the ground will be a problem, so long as i can get some good shoes. <br>4th over for miles with a field of 50 runners.. (it did involve very muddy ground and a few styles to climb over)<br>i will look into the site. <br>and keep you posted. <br>i hope to gain some support, though i dont want to come in at a short price ;)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’d do it but I’m very frisky and I’m afraid I’d end up having to be gelded plus I’d be off top weight (with a couple of lbs overweight for good measure)

Now if Hayley Turner was on top with a whip I could be persuaded though!

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921

Great idea zara! good luck! I’m sure you won’t be short of sponsors from this forum with all the expert punters and wealthy bookmakers on here.<br>Maybe you could be sponsored for say a pound for every minute you’re under 3 hours, how does that sound? And if you need a quick rub down with the Racing Post afterwards let me know :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 60

LOL under 3 hours, now thats pushing it. maybe under 4hrs 15mins can be the goal..we’ll see how i do when i try to run..

Lion In Winter
    • Total Posts 3

If you’re up for it that’s great.  Rather you than me though!  Perhaps you could do a regional one or a half marathon as part of your training.  You can still raise sponsorship.  Good Luck!!  

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

zara – if you want to go for it and want to raise sponsorship for the charities you mention then, nearer the time, I’d be quite happy for you tio start a ‘sponsorship’  thread where people could pledge to the charities.<br>Bit early to start now though but if you’re still serious in, say, 9 months time then we can do it then.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

I’m not entirely sure on the whys and wherefores of it all yet, but I think it’s imperative to start getting the pledges of money promised up front asap – for every non-elite athlete that gets into the race nowadays, there’s three or four that don’t, such is the over-subscription for places.

Whether it’s all lucky dip to get in, or whether you need to have got X thousand pledged already by date Y, I don’t know as yet, but will do at some point, as Mrs Column is also thinking of running in the race next year.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Mrs Column…….lol

podpod
    • Total Posts 41

Zara:

As someone who is connected with another who runs the London Marathon on an annual basis. I’m sorry to have to tell you that if you’ve never run in the London Marathon before, and do not have a checkable record for running the distance, the odds are stacked against you gaining an independent charity place for 2008.

There are basically three levels of entry. Runners with previous verifiable times are graded by gender and age to start from either Blue or Green starts. This year 33,250 runners fell into these two categories. The remaining so-called Charity Runners, who in effect are running for the first time, are all lumped together at the Red start. This being the likely classification that you will fall into.

So, as you can see from a ceiling of some 50,000 runners in total there are only a limited amount of places being annually allotted to Red categorised Charity runners. For many years now large charities, of the likes of Cancer Research, British Heart Foundation and MacMillan Nurses, have been allowed to block reserve a majority of these charity places for runners raising funds exclusively for them. What places remain after the demands of these large charities have been meet are the entry slots up for grabs by those that are literally at the back of the queue. Rather than a first come, first serve acceptance procedure, first-time entrants looking for such places are forced into a ballot process before being informed if their application has been successful or not. And, believe me, due to the popularity of the London Marathon and the resulting demand for such places – it will be a lottery to be accepted under such circumstances.

By all means, don’t let such obstacles stand in your way if you are determined to proceed. Just prepare yourself to be possibly disappointed if your chosen charity has not pre-booked a charity slot for you in advance.

To see if your intended charity is on the preference entry list for the 2008 London Marathon go to:

London Marathon Charity Place Link

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

RoR are the people you need to contact for this…

also check out the London Marathon website, cause from what I can remember entries are done nearly a year before…(ex’s father was a pro maraton runner)

(Edited by racinggirluk at 6:25 pm on May 5, 2007)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.