The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RP Xmas quiz

Home Forums Archive Topics RP Xmas quiz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

anyone doing it this year…….. me and a friend have got most of the answers, just stuck on a few…… dont suppose anyone knows answers to 2, 7, 21 and 37?

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

37 is Gay Trip

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

thank you……. couldnt wait for my father to get home from work, he may have got it.

need any help with any Q’s?

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Not doing it stormont but good luck, the guy on Gay Trip was Arkles jockey. No 2’s a funny one, I presume they mean finished first and placed second. Something in my memory tells me Creag -an- Sgor was disqualified from a race but not sure.<br>Sure you’ll have all the answers before long with all the experts on here :)

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Thats the one we have guessed at for 2 but we werent sure whether it was a mis print or whether the stewards diqualified it from second and made the mistake of placing second again……. you know what stewards are like!

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

21 is Shergar

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Yeats is right on question 2 and, having attended the Richmond Stakes at Goodwood in 1983 I remember the incident well.  

Vacarme beat Creag-an-Sgor with Godstone back in third.  However C-A-S had interferred with Godstone who was subsequently placed above him at the stewards’s enquiry following the objection by Godstone’s jockey.  

During the enquiry the stewards saw that Lester Piggott on Vacarme had interferred with the long time leader Pacific King, when he couldn’t wait any longer for a gap to occur.  Under the rules, as they were then, there was no option but to put Vacarme behind 5th placed Pacific King.

Therefore C-A-S was originally 2nd, was then placed below Godstone and then, when Godstone was elevated to first place, he was re-instated to second.  That ruling was one of the main talking points of the season.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

No doubt you’ve spent all day doing what I did to get what I hope is all 50 answers correct Stormont,<br>google and the RP cuttings library (although the cuttings library didn’t say that Vacarme was placed 5th,lol).<br>I should have known Adrian would know though;)

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Bobby Beasley is the other missing answer.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I also remember the infamous Richmond Stakes (was off school sick with stomach pains, honest). Creag An Sgor (who raced in the same colours as the equally unpronounceable Lean Ar Aghaidh) was involved in an equally controversial race the following season when promoted to a place behind Chief Singer in the Sussex Stakes after moral winner Rousillon was disqualified for interfering with Charlie Nelson’s runner.

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

I too have been googling, wikipedia-ing and RP cutting library searching. The answers are all out there so if you’re stuck get searching!!

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Many thanks for all the help…….. searching for most of today and it was just a couple that got me stumped.

Im not even allowed to enter (a says on the post website all those that cannot enter)

So been aiding a friend to answer the questions.

only being 21 does limit me with some of the older questions……. but google helps (a bit)

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

I was struggling too with Q37 so decided to search google images by the name of each horse. Looking at the possible answers you’ll see why this wasn’t a good idea!

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from Jane on 9:48 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]I was struggling too with Q37 so decided to search google images by the name of each horse. Looking at the possible answers you’ll see why this wasn’t a good idea!

I quite imagine………..

I searched google images for the Lester Piggott pic question and that was very helpful…… as you probably found out

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4563

Quote: from Jane on 9:48 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]I was struggling too with Q37 so decided to search google images by the name of each horse. Looking at the possible answers you’ll see why this wasn’t a good idea!<br>

Clue with that one was that the horse had number 2  on it, thus near the top of the weights. Hence look for winners who carried near top weight.

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.