The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Rishi Persad – what’s the point!

Home Forums Horse Racing Rishi Persad – what’s the point!

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

You’re giving yourself away by even mentioning positive discrimination, simply because no such policy actually exists either in the TV industry or any other….only in the minds of individuals who seem unable to discuss others merits without factoring in their ethnicity.

It is a lazy racist subconscious assumption that it’s impossible for non white people to attain anything without a leg up.

The irony is that IT IS difficult for non white people to achieve ,precisely because of institutionalised racist attitudes and bias ……yet when they do they face almost automatic accusations of being a ‘diversity hire’ or worse still a ‘beneficiary of positive discrimination’ .

God forbid that somebody may be of the opinion rightly or wrongly that a non white person is good .

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“It is a lazy racist assumption”

Is that aimed at me?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Bad shot if it was, Gladders, can’t see anything you’ve said that could be disputed.

Positive discrimination occurs in many walks of life and not just relating to race.

The Labour Party are actively increasing the number of female parliamentary candidates they have at the moment and make no secret of the fact.

I used to work at the BBC – time was when it was a public school educated male white dominated environment which lacked meritocracy and that was wrong.

Actively changing that in the last 30 years has clearly involved an element of positive discrimination.

This means that for every Clive Myrie (legend) there is a Rishi Persad.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“This means that for every Clive Myrie (legend) there is a Rishi Persad.”

Precisely. Just like you get outstanding female journalists and crap ones.

And you get outstanding white male journalists and crap ones.

What is lazy is automatically inferring that any criticism of a PoC is automatically racist.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Positive discrimination isn’t a policy. It’s a pejorative term that has been used or adopted by people that feel there are people who have been a beneficiary of unfairly positive treatment to gain an advantage in something they don’t deserve to based on talent alone.

Rishi Persad is a dreadful pundit/presenter when it comes to horse racing because he knows next to nothing about the subject matter.

I’m sure there are others who are the benefit of it. Female, white males, gays, overweight people. But to say it doesn’t exist is just stupid.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“Rishi Persad is a dreadful pundit/presenter when it comes to horse racing because he knows next to nothing about the subject matter.”

It’s not just that, though. He can barely string together a coherent sentence. He asks banal questions. He offers few different perspectives. He offers no original insight. And he has the gravitas of a gerbil.

All of the above applies equally to Oli Bell, in case anyone thinks I’m picking on Rishi because of his colour.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Tennis, Golf, Horse Racing to name but a few.
    Is he that stand out, is he really that good that he deserves to present in a variety of different sports programmes?

He is not any better than any other presenters, so why the favouritism, why the exposure, why the visibility if he does not add more than your average Joe, or Josephine presenter?

We know why!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Just like Clare Balding. She was crap, too, but was all over the BBC due to her gender, sexuality and nepotism.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Agree Gladiateur and she single handedly killed racing on BBC and C4.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Wouldn’t say that she was the only one responsible, GSP, but she was a terrible presenter.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Clare Balding was a truly shocking appointment that ruined not only BBC racing but BBC sport pretty much forever after.

Not because she was female, not because of her orientation, but because she was rubbish.

Anyone on this forum could go head to head with her in a quiz about her father’s own Mill Reef and wipe the floor with her – that’s how bad she is.

And didn’t she coin that nauseating “Mo Time” regarding Mo Farah?

Everything she touches turns to pure cringe.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2976

Personally I think Willie Carson was far worse, and the pairing was a total disaster. BBC Racing was already in terminal decline though due to decisions at production and executive levels. Harsh to blame presenters, irrespective of how awful they were.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

When Balding joined C4, was racing in decline there too Tonge?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2976

Personally I never had a problem with Balding (racing or tennis) and my point was that BBC racing decline wasn’t related to presenters (regardless of their quality) so not sure why my view on C4 presenters is relevant.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

I’m struggling to understand why there are 10 pages devoted to prattling on about a presenter and his ‘worth’ or otherwise.

Sad.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

It’s part of The Blob’s anti-Nazi agenda, Wilts.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

“It’s part of The Blob’s anti-Nazi agenda, Wilts.”

Right :whistle:

And there i was thinking the thread was just another RF echo chamber :wacko:

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.