The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ridiyka

Home Forums Memorials Ridiyka

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jane of Herts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 110

The 3-year-old filly fell at the first flight in the Juvenile Hurdle at Fontwell today; fatally injured – was being held at the far end of the racecourse as must have got up and initially tried to canter away – appeared to have sustained a broken cannon bone.

RIP young one

linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

I noticed that too… screens should have been up to lessen the stress when the field raced past her, she was obviously very hurt. RIP poor girl

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

You have to be joking. A horse with a flapping leg being held and awaiting its death. Just before the bullet is shot in her head she gets to have another look at her "friends". Does it get more barbaric? She wasn’t even a proper racehorse and had one start on the flat where she finished last. Not only that 3-year olds shouldn’t be jumping hurdles if they aren’t supposed to do so (bred by the Aga Khan), but they should be allowed to die in a more pleasant way.

• Total Posts 433

RIP little girl :(

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

I also witnessed Ridiyka’s race and it was very distressing to say the least. The horse was described as an ‘Aga Khan cast off showing nothing but greenness’. Should she have been in this race in the first place? The favourite had already refused to line up. Seeing Ridiyka trying to stand at the side of the track was heart breaking. RIP little girl.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

A disgrace that they could not get screens to her. Fontwell is pretty small in area, no excuses for not getting to her. :(

RIP little girl who should not have been there :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

It’s sickening and for this inexperienced baby to be made to jump hurdles at speed is a disgrace just a baby and she had little training for what was expected of her.
    Three years old is too young to be entered up into Juvenile hurdles, most of them wander around the track and usually end up hurting themselves or worse…awful that she had to stand with her poor leg shattered too waiting for her end…sick of the way that horses are treated, no dignity for this poor girl..RIP darling :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    • Total Posts 433

I agree with the thought that three years old is too young to be hurdling, the horses are not much more than babies, just the same as I think 4 is too young to steeplechase. IMHO.

I have spoken to Fontwell racecourse to ask why there were no screens put up. The manager says that Ridiyka got up and ran on, following the other runners. She took a little while to catch, and in fact had only just been caught before the runners came round on the next circuit. She was then seen by the vet and pts quickly.
    There is a report on FB from someone who was there, and this confirms Fontwell’s statement.

A very sad and unfortunate incident for all concerned. RIP little girl :(

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Great to see all of you sharing the same thoughts as I do. It still didn’t help poor Ridiyka, but at least there are a lot of people who seem to care.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

This 3-y-olds hurdling thing has had its own thread on the main Horse Racing board and almost everyone agreed it’s too young.

If you watched the race it was quite obvious that quite a few of the runners should not have been there. They were all over the place. :( . But there again, some of them seemed to cope quite well and gave a good run, though what it was doing to their baby legs I dread to think :shock:

It’s such a difficult and emotive subject, especially when a little girl who had absolutely no chance ends up dead. :cry:

I know it’s a horrible thing to say, but does anyone else ever think that maybe, when someone realises they have a complete "no-hoper" on their hands, they throw it into a race like this and hope to get the insurance money? Just a thought. :roll:

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

@ nighthorse: What is the insurance money? I mean how high is it? And how does this work?
    I’m just curious, because this is what sometimes comes to my mind as well. However I never dare to think that badly about horse owners and trainers. We are told that they care so much about their horses…

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

Ridiyka was part owned by a Group according to the trainers website and prior to the race, shares were still available to buy. Later on Sunday, I went on the website to see if there had been any announcement about Ridiyka’s death. I couldnt find anything but the advert in ‘horses for sale’ had been removed. Perhaps a few words wouldn’t have gone a miss.

• Total Posts 433

Perhaps it’s just as hard for a trainer to cope with a death. They must have their favourites too. The manager at Fontwell said she had spoken to Seamus on Monday morning and he had been devastated.

Not sure about insurance NH, I always thought it was difficult to insure a jumping horse, maybe someone else might know? :?

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

Have just read some comments on FB (in memory of our racehorses) from people who were actually there at the track. Its devastating to hear how she must have suffered. At peace now but a waste of such a beautiful horse. :(

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.