The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Richard Hills – Opinions

Home Forums Horse Racing Richard Hills – Opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Leeknowles1Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

I have always been a fan on old Hillsy ever since seeing photos of him with my uncle riding, I have always held him in high regard for his brilliant racing brain, and he can read a horse very very well, however i feel his riding style has gone a bit shall we say, Backwards? in recent years, and after paying close attention to his riding last year, and watching him get alot of favorites beat all season (Including a 1/6 steering job at newmarket) I just dont feel he is strong enough anymore, and im not entirely sure why the maktoum has kept him on board, Im open to opinions but after seeing him ride a horse in handicaps, getting well beat, only for another jockey like Oshea to ride a week later and get a place or get home, i just dont understand it!

Any opinions welcome!

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

In the past (up until Glorious Goodwood last season) I’ve thought criticism of Richard to be misplaced. If anything under-rated and has been very good on front runners in particular. However, recently (like you believe Lee) hasn’t impressed. Too often leaving it too late. Style also a worry, does not seem to have the strength in the saddle as some and relies on the whip a bit too much. Older jockeys have found it harder to adapt to the new whip rules.

value is everything
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Once most jockeys hit 45 they begin to lose some of their strength. Richard was never a blood and guts jockey and as I have stated before, he always rides to orders for Hamdan and gets on very well with him. If a jockey does as he is told and shows unswerving loyalty to an owner, perhaps what is surprising to Western culture that the owner shows the same loyalty back. It helps that Richard is articulate and can communicate with owners and trainers far better than most of his contemporaries. I’m sure he realizes his career is nearing its end and will have made his future plans accordingly.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Loyalty is certainly important to the Sheikhs and unlike some over here, it does work both ways.

value is everything
    Leeknowles1Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

Very good points and i agree with both, i was told by a fellow jockey of his the tactics some jocks use when in a finish, just to squueze him up, hes not strong enough, however his mental ability to judge a race and a horse is class, but he still leaves it too long!

Training perhaps?

Id back them..

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Would not back a horse with him in the saddle, very weak in a finish and is a very lucky boy to be in the position he is still in.

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

His strike rate at over 15% last year was similar to the other top jockeys, his strike rate across the various types of races is similar to other top jockeys and his strike rate on the AW or in maidens is high.

Last year was not a good year for group races for him but you can only play with the ammo you’re given, maybe it’s because he didn’t win the high profile races, that you are looking at him in this light – if not, the stats don’t support the arguments.

Leeknowles1Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

His strike rate at over 15% last year was similar to the other top jockeys, his strike rate across the various types of races is similar to other top jockeys and his strike rate on the AW or in maidens is high.

Last year was not a good year for group races for him but you can only play with the ammo you’re given, maybe it’s because he didn’t win the high profile races, that you are looking at him in this light – if not, the stats don’t support the arguments.

I know what your saying Sberry and i agree the SR is good, but he gets alot of rides in maidens like you say, and i think its a fair comment to state that their maidens are generally above average/very good

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

True, they have good maidens but they have bad ones as well, that don’t win even after a few attempts and which are then generally gelded and sold on but he has to ride them every time too, because of his loyalty, which could then be considered a two-edge sword in that his agent might be able to find him better rides but is not allowed to.

Don’t the other top jockeys get the same in the way of better maidens to ride?

Stats just look similar to me, we mostly notice the high profile stuff and he is on my list of jockeys I like to see on a horse I’m betting on, unlike many others I won’t name because I either think they are not as good or potentially wronguns.

Leeknowles1Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

Yes again, good points and your pointing out what i used to state to all my good friends when backing him, i like him on a horse that needs a tactical ride, but for pure strength, if you had 2 horses of equal ability, and i had to choose out of the 2, with hillsy on one, and Moore on the other… i know who i would choose, Purely down to opinion, and i respect yours! (even if its wrong :lol: )

Lee

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Last 12 months:

475 rides – 70 winners – 125 places

14.74% strike rate, -143.33 to a £1 stake.

Prize money won £330,061.

Suggests not too many winners at the top end.

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Cornelius Lysaght has just Tweeted…

"Being reported that Richard Hills, 49, to retire; prominent jockey, riding principally for top owner Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum, for 20 years"

Job for Kieren Fallon IMO.

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Sorry double post.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Glenn will have the old black tie on today.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Given Kieran’s age and questionable loyalty, I doubt Hamdan would touch him with a barge pole. I think he will go for a much younger candidate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.