The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing UK

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing UK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>I very recently learnt that Sky Sports has disappointingly lost the rights to the US PGA Golf Tour to the new Setanta Golf channel that starts up next week.

As I love watching the golf I therefore think that it is time to give in and finally subscribe to Racing UK in order to get the Setanta package that goes with it enabling me to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Before I do though, I was wondering if any sort of offers are running at the moment (has one been advertised in the RP?) to get say, 12 months for the price of 11 or first month half-price- anything to save a bit of dosh as in my world £15 a month for a few extra channels is a lot when it’s only £40 for the other 250 or so…..  

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Not sure Paul but with the overall subs now £5 less a month than they used to be for just RUK I suppose they may think what u get for your money is enough now.<br>And don’t forget the Racing UK club days which has increased to 38 free admissions this year which include the Lanzarote in a fortnight.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>Thanks GD, to be honest I don’t even know whether Setanta Golf will come as part of the Racing UK package as I don’t think that Lydia mentions it in the Racing UK adverts…

sandpiper
    • Total Posts 16

I am not sure I will be renewing my subscripton in February….it really bugs me that they make it "Free to Air" on certain days.  Today between 4 – 7 you can see highlights of the racing.  

Also I paid £200 and then the subscription was reduced and nothing was offered regarding a refund, or reduction on the next year’s payment.

If I am perfectly honest over Christmas I watched ATR and enjoyed all the Irish racing.

Sorry for going on

Sandpiper

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Setanta taking over the PGA and some of the pay per view Premiership games smacks to me of a well orchestrated cartel at work.

Sky Sports, the main player, is losing one of its main attractions, the PGA and customers already paying for the Sports service will now have to pay £15 a month to Setanta for the privilege of watching it.

When any supplier has a virtual monopoly of a product, they can increase total revenue by increasing the price provided demand is inelastic. If they are not too confident about demand falling with the price increase, they might try a different strategy.  This involves differentiating the product slightly, rebranding it and selling it in the same market for a higher price. This fools the customers into paying extra for something they have already contracted to buy at an agreed price.

Obviously, it’s more complicated than this because of the extras(such as RUK) that Setanta offers, but it makes you wonder who is gaining from this move.  

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

The coverage of the US PGA Golf Tour on Sky was not very good anyway with too many adverts, interviews etc and not enough golf. I assume that Sky were just broadcasting pictures shown by the US tv network and had no control over what was shown. Sky still have the rights to show 2 majors (the US Open & US PGA ) as well as the Championship golf tournaments in the USA.

The Sky coverage of the European tour will continue on their channel and their coverage is good imo.  <br>I’m not sure that Setanta will do any better with their coverage of the US tour but time will tell.

(Edited by SwallowCottage at 8:31 pm on Dec. 30, 2006)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I cannot believe anyone that like racing enough to contribute to a board like this or who bets cannot afford/chooses not to pay £15 a month for Racing UK.

sandpiper
    • Total Posts 16

My point in objecting to renewing my membership of Racing UK, is that I paid £200 and within 2 months the subscription had dropped.  

I was offered nothing in compensation.  

If I had paid monthly, I would have had my monthly subscription reduced.

Any fool who paid the full year upfront got nothing.  I believe that the Management of RUK are not at all bothered about their subscribers.  I wrote to them and received no reply at all.

Today another ‘free to air ‘ programme.  It just makes my blood boil – that I paid for the service and it is then put out "free"  for anyone to view.  Breeders Cup night was exactly the same…"free to air".

Sandpiper

(Edited by sandpiper at 11:07 pm on Dec. 30, 2006)

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

I pay for RUK through NTL and they are still charging £20  a month but its due to come down to £15 in Jan.<br>Well worth the subs.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2938

The customer service of RUK was bad, Setanta’s is appalling, wouldn’t have anything to with them if I didn’t need to see the racing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from davidjohnson on 8:31 pm on Dec. 30, 2006[br]I cannot believe anyone that like racing enough to contribute to a board like this or who bets cannot afford/chooses not to pay £15 a month for Racing UK.<br>

Having spent months/years watching uninteresting<br>races, analysed by uninformed presenters, in an endless cycle of dirge and dross, I ditched both channels some time ago. <br> Apart from freeing up almost every afternoon to do as I wish, this also allows me to concentrate on the type of races I am interested in, most of which are on terrestrial TV, the rest which can either be watched online or at my local bookies.<br> The cash saving is incidental, the 1/3rd of my life that I have reclaimed isnt!:cool:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3118

Quote: from Artemis on 6:22 pm on Dec. 30, 2006[br]Setanta taking over the PGA and some of the pay per view Premiership games smacks to me of a well orchestrated cartel at work.

<br>Artemis,

Blame the EU – this is their idea of competition!

AP

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I’m already paying £53 a month(2 Sky + boxes) to keep everyone in the house happy.

I don’t watch as much football as I used to – I don’t take Premiership + any more, and I can’t keep awake to watch the PGA golf.

However, if I did watch the football and the golf with Sky, I might feel that they were letting me down. I find it hard to believe that they are prepared to lose some of their star attractions to Setanta in a freely competitive market.

Does anyone know who actually owns Setanta?

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

As a jumps fan, ATR have the Irish racing and a big chunk of the average tracks.  For the rest, if you know how you can watch it live on the net.<br>

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>If I subscribe to Setanta (only £10 for the first 3 months)via their website rather than direct to Racing UK, do I still get free membership to the ‘Racing UK Club’?

At this stage, I think I’ll subscribe to Setanta and save the £15 as I’m attending quality race meetings now rather than quantity – based in North Yorks so Ebor meeting, John Smith’s day & the Dante and I’ll be at Cheltenham for a couple of days so I don’t think that I’ll get much out of the club days anyway.

I’ve read/heard a few dodgy things about Setanta’s customer service though(or lack of it) so has anyone else done this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.