The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post Website – seriously NO!

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post Website – seriously NO!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Admiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 447

Just felt the need to comment on the new website format and the fact that I can no longer navigate the website properly. At my age I hought to have some technical know-how but I spent my childhood at the stables playing with ponies and that vital knowledge somehow passed me by!!! I am exceedingly frustrated…

Rant over…on a different note, I discovered today that my namesake Admiralofthefleet is actually standing at stud in India! Lovely looking (if untalented) horse :lol:

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

It’s a Web 2.0 monstrosity. I think they’re trying to get rid of the free content on the website entirely.

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1118

was coming on to say the same thing, absoultely hate it

vf

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

.. and there’s no way I’m paying to use their website..

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

The new format is absolutely appalling and a total dog’s breakfast (no offence intended to the dog or its breakfast) .
    All I wanted to look at was news on the latest abandoned meetings and I had to keep scrolling down and then clicking on the previous eight postings.
    No section for weather and going update reports that I could find.
    Very user unfriendly, shallow and Twitter-like in its brevity.
    People want a list of the headlines and the news index.
    There was a list of the greyhound racing news index, various adverts and then David Carr grinning out at us from his blog and that was about it.
    Occasionally, some of the news stories have a "more" link but it seems like we’re all expected to inhabit the Twitter-like, attention-span-of-a-gnat world of one-sentence news.
    Admittedly, there was a bigger range of so-called stories but still very messy.

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I personally find the Sporting Life website a lot better

Admiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 447

I do not know why they are trying to slowly remove the free content by stealth. Just make the inevitable decision, demand money for total access and then we can all have closure and move on to sporting life. We all know they pay for websites with advertising.

I was gutted when the Times started charging, but I’ve found the Scotsman a more than adequate replacement

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

I do not know why they are trying to slowly remove the free content by stealth. Just make the inevitable decision, demand money for total access and then we can all have closure and move on to sporting life.

When you compare the Racing Post’s travesty of a website with that of papers like the Daily Mail, with its Mail Online website, there is no comparison.
    The amount of free reading in news, sport, columnists, money matters and showbiz, all incorporated with large numbers of pictures, is amazing.
    They are not just one sentence or two paragraph stories. They are very full stories and it is very user friendly and easy to use.
    I sure as hell wouldn’t pay for any website on principal.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

I do not know why they are trying to slowly remove the free content by stealth. Just make the inevitable decision, demand money for total access and then we can all have closure and move on to sporting life.

When you compare the Racing Post’s travesty of a website with that of papers like the Daily Mail, with its Mail Online website, there is no comparison.
    The amount of free reading in news, sport, columnists, money matters and showbiz, all incorporated with large numbers of pictures, is amazing.
    They are not just one sentence or two paragraph stories. They are very full stories and it is very user friendly and easy to use.
    I sure as hell wouldn’t pay for any website on principle.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

I sure as hell wouldn’t pay for any website on principle.

The Daily Mail articles aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on, so it’s only fair that they’re free online.

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1118

i certainly wonlt be paying for access, used to be a member before they decided to charge for that, then never joined again

will have to stick with sportinglife, though i admit visited both siites regularly, so now just sportiinglife, are there any others recommended, i know bbc racing but with them losing the right to air racing now, surely that will go down soon

vf

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

If there are industry awards for the most buggered up and annoyingly frustrating websites of the year, it will be a dead heat between the RP and Betfair, both sites being completely changed from user-friendly to user-avoid.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1455

Same thoughts from me. Why do they have to keep mucking about with things? It invariably makes them worse. LEAVE THINGS ALONE!

To get the regular page you have to go to the News section and select the News Archive (which is probably a whole 30 seconds older than the Live stuff :roll: ) and you’ll find the news given in the old format. Thank God!

cliffo38
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

I personally find the Sporting Life website a lot better

totally agree phil sporting life site is excellent dont even mind atr web site

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

There is a drop down on the new news function that has top stories, guineas meeting, racing business, ground and weather watch etc. It’s only one button click, if you click on new archive it’s still the old style menu. Look harder?

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Thanks for this info about accessing info on the Racing Post site.
    With the help of this and also some advice from another forum member, I have discovered that there is actually a lot more available than at first seemed to be the case looking at the new design.
    There seems to be quite a bit of the old choices and options hidden behind various news links and not immediately obvious to the casual user.
    The news live feed actually seems to include a wider range of stories, albeit some of them very brief. Once you know where to look, it’s a lot better.

seepigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 136

There is a drop down on the new news function that has top stories, guineas meeting, racing business, ground and weather watch etc. It’s only one button click, if you click on new archive it’s still the old style menu. Look harder?

Why would you look for today’s news in a "news archive"

Like Crusty, I wanted an update about going/abandonments which are easy to see on rival websites and on RP it was well-hidden.

The site is poor, it takes ages to load and they have now priced themselves above my willingness to pay, similarly the paper. Cancelled my subscription to the "members club" and buy the paper less often.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.