The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing is bent but tennis is benter ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing is bent but tennis is benter ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t ever recall a racing result being voided and all transactions cancelled .. is this the shape of things to come and is it right ?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I don’t ever recall a racing result being voided and all transactions cancelled .. is this the shape of things to come and is it right ?

I heard briefly about this story, but not enough to comment specifically on it. But if an event is voided then all transactions are cancelled and that has always been the case is exactly right in my opinion. A perfect example is a greyhound race, if the race is declared void, all bets are returned.

Therefore without me knowing much about this tennis event, I would ask, why was it voided and was it the correct decision to be voided. But I certainly have no problems with all transactions being cancelled on a voided event as that has always been the case hasn’t it?

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Unusual betting patterns………….on Betfair, the price of the player who won the first set went out after he had won that set…………I theeeeeeeeeenk!

Colin

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5858

I was involved in this match.

The price drift on Davydenko started before the match even started; I really couldn’t believe my eyes.Once the match was "In Play" it, was a sight to behold!

Betfair have refunded all monies, thank goodness.

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

By all accounts around £3.4m was traded on the Davydenko match which, according to Betfair, is around ten times more than any other match of this kind.

With the shift in price as alarming as described above, I think Betfair have done the right thing.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Betfair have set a dangerous precedent

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Is this the match where the favoured player retired with no obvious injury?

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5858

Here is the story:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6928635.stm

Regards – Matron

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

There was a race recently in India where an Aussie jockey Troy Jackman was on the favourite ( a non winner on form if ever you saw one ) Anyway he got beaten, ran 3rd and the crowds went beserk and tried to burn down the grandstand (as they do).
    Stewards immediately called an inquiry and the race was declared null and void and all bets refunded.
    A subsequent inquiry saw the rider rubbed out for 2 years.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I guess there’s a question about whether his injury was obvious and obviously severe.

If, as the match progressed, it was becoming increasingly obvious that he wasn’t going to be able to continue, then it would make sense for people to lay him.

If this argument can be made sensibly, then betfair are in a difficult position.

On the other hand, if the betting patterns don’t reflect what was being seen on court, it’s hard to argue with bf’s decision.

Steve

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5858

Davydenko’s price started alarmingly drifting out about 30 minutes before the match even started.

There was no way an "odds-on" favourite would drift this way unless, parties knew he was injured and could possibly not finish the match. The money movement was staggering for this stage of a tennis tournament.

I am pleased Betfair "nulled" the match.

Regards – Matron

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Is knowing that he’s injured not the same as knowing that a horse won’t be trying? If that got out and the favourite drifted from say 6/4 to 5/1 on the exchanges would they refund all bets on the race in that case too?

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Do you think it is right that BF are playing God? Null some markets and not others. It is a minefield.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5858

I think it was the amount of money involved – 3.4m before that match had even started; the "big boys" were out to play.

Regards- Matron

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I think it was the amount of money involved – 3.4m before that match had even started; the "big boys" were out to play.

Regards- Matron

If all the "big boys" were out to play, surely any extenuating circumstances surrounding the match were close to public knowledge? I think it’s dangerous to void all bets on the match, a prolonged suspension of all payouts would surely have been the safer and less headline-inducing way to behave.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.