The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing in Singapore

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing in Singapore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

This is perhaps primarily for the attention of Kingston Town, but also possibly for others, such as Zorro and Adrian, who have been racing in Singapore or know what goes on there.

I hope to go racing in Singapore on 29th February (which is apparently Singapore Guineas Day!) on my way back from Bali but do not know the first thing about the set-up there.

Could anyone give me advice about where to go/what to expect etc, and, not least, how to pay for the trip by backing a few winners?!

Your help is much appreciated!

Pru

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Nice one Pru

I see the old Racing Post retainer is kicking in early :lol:

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Yeh, right. 8)

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

This is perhaps primarily for the attention of Kingston Town, but also possibly for others, such as Zorro and Adrian, who have been racing in Singapore or know what goes on there.

I hope to go racing in Singapore on 29th February (which is apparently Singapore Guineas Day!) on my way back from Bali but do not know the first thing about the set-up there.

Could anyone give me advice about where to go/what to expect etc, and, not least, how to pay for the trip by backing a few winners?!

Pru

Go to the Singapore Turf Club website that should tell you most of what you want to know………..if you clean up at the races, drop into Thailand on your way back and don’t bring the wife……….you can get some riding lessons here though it can be a bit expensive:lol: :lol:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Pru

Your timing is a bit out as I’ll be long gorn :?
    But if you send me a message with your email I’ll fix up tickets for the stupendous Hibiscus Room – well ok not stupendous but it’s nice enough. :lol:
    A/C, food, bar and you can watch from inside over the home straight and go down to the parade ring etc.
    The Guineas should be a good race this year as we have a load of quality 3YOs that will be in it. :D Onceuponatime immediately springs to mind as the one to beat 8)
    Backing winners……… hmmmmmm………. can’t help you there before the fields. But don’t take a massive move on the tote as a sign of a sure thing, if anyone knocks off anyone elses price anything could happen :shock:
    PS No bookies there only Tote. (Well no legal bookies 8) )
    Oh and if there’s any sand racing look for the front runners – making ground on that track is next to impossible.

Depending on where you are staying, you can get the MRT train to Kranji and walk up to the track (all undercover about 5 mins) or get a cab straight to the track.
    In the day time the cab won’t cost more then $25 (£8 ) if you are on the far side of the island. In peak hour it’ll be about $35 (£12) as the prices have just gone up and you pay an extra 50% in those times :shock:

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I won’t be in Singapore until the international day in May when I’m delighted that STC are reintroducing the Sprint (6f) as well as the Cup (10f).

I’m sure that Zorro and a few other journos will be there including a new visitor from the RP.

KT is definitely the person to deal with until she leaves but if she has gone and you need anything PM me and I can sort anything out for you as their European rep. Certainly a press credential, lunch, interviews with anybody you need to speak to.

I suggest getting to Kranji for morning track work at least once whilst you are there and hanging out at the canteen from where most of the local legends like Patrick Shaw and Laurie Laxon control their morning teams.

I normally drive out there so if, in the unlikely event you want to self drive, let me know and I’ll give you the best directions from town.

Have a great time – it is a super racecourse in a brilliant city.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I’m sure that Zorro and a few other journos will be there including a new visitor from the RP.

:shock: Moi? :lol:

Certainly a press credential

Good thinking Adrian press credential already approved, just need a proper name to go on it! 8)

Definitely trackwork – Mike Lee will be your contact to organise your special security pass – I’ll give you his details when I hear from you.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Thanks VERY much for the advice and offers of help. This sort of thing really does show the Forum in a good light!

I have dropped Kingston Town an e-mail – let me know if you don’t receive it – and will take it from there.

Is Zorro likely to be in Singapore for that meeting then?

Pru

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Zorro, together with Liz Price and quite a few other journos will make it over for the international meeting (Singapore Airlines International Cup and KrisFlyer International Sprint) on May 18th when they get a hotel package incentive.

I doubt if there will be any other Euro journos over on 29th February but you’ll still have a great time and be well looked after.

Craig Brennan (who used to supply Aussie results for the RP through IRB) has taken over KT’s job there and Mike Lee (her assistant) will be able to look after you as well.

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I may go, just for the free lunch :D

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I have dropped Kingston Town an e-mail – let me know if you don’t receive it – and will take it from there.

Pru

Just replied Pru :D

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Just had one thought though Prufrock. Will you have kids with you? Singapore, like Hong Kong, doesn’t allow under 18s to go racing – although they could go with you to track work.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

No. Me and the g/f remain defiantly unencumbered.

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

Or your pencil remains defiantly unleaded, Pru?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Careful. Be very careful.

:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.