The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racetracks you’ve visited

Home Forums Lounge Racetracks you’ve visited

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

As a diversion from some antagonistic threads, I’d be interested to hear where you’ve all been in the world.    Any amusing pecularities you’d like to tell us about.   Apologies for getting this from Betfair and for my feminine comments.

Not that many in England, mostly these I think:<br>Ascot, Bath, Brighton, Carlisle, Cartmel,  Cheltenham, Lingfield,  Newbury,  Ripon,  Sandown Park,  Sedgefield,   although I’ve set foot on a lot more, plus a couple of point to points in the south east where I recall seeing old Real Value, who later became a useful hunter/handicapper, first run. Great pleasure in that actually.  

I enjoy Brighton the most, they’ve improved it a lot and I like the situation and quirky character.

I’ve never been racing at Warwick but walked part of the track where my boyfriend  insisted on taking a photo of me jumping one of the fences along the side [opposite the car park].  This was mid summer so only the base rail was in position.  He took a head on shot and me being in highish heels I clipped the bar and I went arse over tit and sprained my ankle!!   things I do for men, and I married him :shrug: :laugh:

Overseas :<br>Bundamba – sw of Brisbane, quaint country track as  I remember it some time ago, where all the young men wore Cowboy hats – mmm….quite fetching. <br>Eagle Farm -Brisbane’s best known – a most pleasant day out, usually great weather, and near the airport if you like to see the jumbo’s taking off.  However I did get a stern rebuke when I wandered into  the annual members….lol!   Good restaurants just down the road opposite.<br>Rosehill, Sydney – it was so wonderful I’ve completely forgotten.

Hollywood Park – great food, all the seats have little dining tables and again usually terrific weather with good turf races.    Near the airport so  you’ll have to put up with aircraft so close you can wave to the pilots [yeah I do that too – sad].   Beautifully tended gardens all round as you might expect.

Where you been :)   ??<br>

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I’ve done all the current UK National Hunt courses apart from Ascot, Ayr, Chepstow, Folkestone, Fontwell, Huntingdon (no excuses anymore now I live a 20 minute train ride away!), Kelso, Musselburgh, Newcastle and Sandown. I’ll strike Ascot off the list next weekend, all being well.

Got to Windsor when they briefly reintroduced the winter code there, and my first ever racing experience was of a jumps meeting at Wolverhampton in March 1983, but Nottingham and I sadly never had the pleasure.

I’ve visited numerous PtP tracks, some of these from memory being Chaddesley Corbett, Charm Park, Clifton-upon-Dunsmore, Dalton Park, Dingley, Easingwold, Eaton Hall, Thorpe Lodge and Upper Sapey. There are more besides these. I have never touched the west country or southern circuits, but hope to put that right this winter.

I’ve walked around quite a few foreign tracks, but never got to them on raceday – these would include Bremen, Hamburg and Hoppegarten in Germany, Vienna in Austria and Budapest (veeeeeeeery basic course!) in Budapest. France and Ireland remain unconquered to any extent.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

All 59 uk tracks plus Longchamp and Punchestown.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Laurel Park<br>Pimlico; both Maryland

Four great days out in these ancient and traditionalist tracks – lovely people and an enthusiastic crowd. £1.50 to get in and dead cheap beer. No bookies. Win over $500 and you have to pay tax.

(Where DOES this hegemonistic myth come from that bookies add to the atmosphere on a racetrack? People create atmosphere and to be honest, you could replace bookies tomorrow on the racecourse and the day out would not be affected one iota).

Delaware Park (Delaware)<br>Charlestown (West Virginia)

Both free to get in due to slot machines. The former is magnificent, (a huge place), the latter great fun but not really to be taken too seriously. 4 furlong races in an oval smaller than Wolver.

Sam Houston Raceway – Houston, Texas<br>Will Rogers Downs – Claremont, Oklahoma<br>Fair Meadows, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Real cowboy tracks. Anyone who enjoys the Old West will love the atmosphere here. Simulcasting from all over America and a hard core, enthusiastic crowd in each. A couple of dollars to get in, cheap food, cheap beer.

Also: Truro Raceway, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Chariot racing where the crowd was so sparse, a $5 winning bet led to a Deep Impact style compressed dividend of 1-3. Beautiful part of the world though.

Loads of UK flat and d*g tracks – a regular at Southwell and Nottingham.

A cheerful thread at last!:biggrin:

threenaps
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

The Curragh, <br>had  a great few days there when Vintage Tipple won the Oaks, Kildare doesn’t look much of a town but I had good meals there. Went to the Irish National Stud and stayed 6 hours.

Longchamp, <br>last year when Hurricane Run won the Arc, the Landlord of our pub tried to hurdle the fence around a champagne bar and fell !, I liked the marquee across the road afterwards, very cheap food and drink.

Garrison Savannah in Barbados, went on Diamond Day see september archive at http://www.threenaps.blogspot.com

(Edited by threenaps at 11:20 pm on Oct. 21, 2006)<br>

(Edited by threenaps at 11:22 pm on Oct. 21, 2006)

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Dingle in County Kerry not a recognised track under rules but in an idyllic setting with the Atlantic as a back-drop and GREAT fun!!:cool:

Colin

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I have been to a few in this country but the only one abroad that I’ve visited is Del Mar Race Track in California which holds racing during the summer months. A very pleasant and friendly racecourse but I was surprised how quiet the americans were. It wasn’t until I started cheering for my selection ( shock – yes, I backed a winner – maybe I should go abroad more often;) ) that everyone around me joined in and some races were run in a quiet atmosphere even when the favorite won.<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Ayr race course is my course at the minute, due to it only being about 5 minutes drive from our house .. I used to go the Beverley a lot when I was a kid.

(Edited by dave jay at 12:04 pm on Oct. 22, 2006)

absolution
    • Total Posts 214

Been to many tracks in the uk over the years – my favourites are haydock in the north huntingdon in midlands and plumpton on the south coast – also been to couple of trotting meetings in spain – great fun!!

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Been to 34 UK tracks. All enjoyable – Vive la Difference, though have no real inclination to visit the Rowley Mile again. Intend to get around all 59…60? eventually. Fontwell tops the ‘really must visit soon’ list.

Abroad it’s been Punchestown, Curragh, Leopardstown, Longchamp and Chantilly. Fancy Tralee and Deauville sometime.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Only 8 for me.

If it’s not in Scotland (all 5 tracks) or in Paris (Longchamp, Auteuil, Saint Cloud), I’ve not been there.

Steve  

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 123

Musselburgh and Kelso are my local tracks but also enjoy a jaunt to York for the Ebor meeting. Have not managed further South than that yet, well excpet for the Southern Hemisphere and the Gold Coast track in Australia. Absolutely brilliant !

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

All bar 11 of the British racecourses. My favourite is the one I went to first: Kempton.

Leopardstown and Punchestown in Ireland.

Longchamp and Autueil (non-racing day) in France.

Les Landes (very good) in Jersey.

Bangalore, Mysore and Ooty (non-racing day) in India. Bangalore was good, for all that I backed 8 losers out of 8!

Sha Tin In Hong Kong.

Hope to get to Mumbai in a few weeks.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

For some totally random reasons I have been to quite a few courses on non-racing days, Moscow probably being the most exotic.

Racing, I’ve done 30ish UK tracks, plus a couple of Irish, Taby in Sweden and Belmont Park.  

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Good thread and has certainly got me thinking/reminiscing:

Britain:  Aintree, Ascot, Bangor-On-Dee, Brighton, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Chepstow, Doncaster, Epsom, Fakenham, Folkestone, Goodwood, Haydock, Hereford, Hexham, Huntingdon, Kempton, Leicester, Lingfield, Ludlow, Market Rasen, Newbury, Newmarket x2, Nottingham, Perth, Pontefract, Ripon, Sandown, Southwell, Stratford on Avon, Thirsk, Towcester, Uttoxeter, Warwick, Windsor, Wolverhampton, Worcester, Yarmouth, York.  Also went to Teeside Park (Stockton) when it was still open.  

Have been to too many Point to Point tracks to name – but many have these have been my favourite experiences on a course – particularly at Ampton, Chaddesley Corbett and Cottenham.

Ireland:  Curragh, Fairyhouse (for the first time last Saturday), Leopardstown, Punchestown.  Also went to Phoenix Park when it was still open.  Also went to my first Irish Point to Point on Sunday – Tattersalls Farm for the Ward Union and absolutely loved it!

France:  Auteuil, Cagnes Sur Mer, Chantilly, Deauville, Longchamp, Maison-Laffitte, Saint Cloud, Toulouse.  Also went to Evry when it was still open

Germany:  Baden-Baden, Koln

Canada:  Woodbine

USA:   Aqueduct, Arlington Park, Atlantic City, Belmont Park, Churchill Downs, Gulfstream Park, Hollywood Park, Keeneland, Laurel, Lone Star Park, Santa Anita

Russia:  Pyatigorsk.  I’ve only been to trotting at Moscow<br>so this doesn’t count.

Asia:  Happy Valley and Sha Tin (Hong Kong),  Kranji (Singapore), Nad al Sheba and Jebel Ali (Dubai)

Australia:  Canterbury, Rosehill, Warwick Farm  

Brazil:  Gavea (Rio de Janeiro)

My favourite track is Arlington Park – a triumph of design and luxury for all classes of racegoer.  

My favourite day’s racing is the Breeders’ Cup because of it’s intensity but I also enjoy Hong Kong International Day and Royal Ascot is my favourite meeting.

Tracks I most want to visit:

In Britain:  Cartmel and Chester

In Ireland – any of the other jumps course

In France – any of the provincial jumps courses and Enghien

In USA – Del Mar and Saratoga

In rest of the world – St. Moritz (looks magnificent), Garrison Savannah, Flemington and Randwick (although I’ve been there for lunch when no racing on).   I’d also like to go bush racing in Australia – anywhere where you can feel involved.

(Edited by Adrian at 12:53 pm on Oct. 24, 2006)<br>

(Edited by Adrian at 12:58 pm on Oct. 24, 2006)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.