The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racecourse Advice

Home Forums Horse Racing Racecourse Advice

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    denmaniac
    • Total Posts 9

I was wondering what people ideas of the best racecourses to visit in the uk/ireland? I have only been following the sport for a few years and absolutely love it as a day out.

Living in Bristol Ive visited Cheltenham and Bath several times. Other than that I have only visited newbury and haydock so far. Me and my mate are looking to get round some others and would welcome any recommendations (most picturesque, unique etc).

We’ve tried researching online but unsurprisingly most tracks claim to be the most beautiful etc so im after an unbiased opinion.

Any help appreciated!

• Total Posts 318

goodwood cant touch it !!

conundrum
    • Total Posts 416

Edit

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

Yep, Goodwood for me too. Beautiful…Pricey, but most courses are. I have a soft spot for Fontwell and Plumpton, being quite near too.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Hi Denmaniac
    I can heartily recommend Cartmel which is absolutely unique and set in a picturesque Lake District village.
    The racing may not be of the highest quality but the atmosphere is great with a relatively high attendance.
    The local pubs are terrific, as is the local sticky toffee pudding.
    Definitely worth making a short break of it

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Sod the UK and Ireland and take a trip to Auteuil if you’re really keen on seeing proper and unique racecourses, something different from the usual British courses.

£56 return out of Birmingham leaving 6th November and coming back 7th November taking in the two day International Weekend with 4 or 5 Grade 1 races – brilliant weekend and would go every year if possible.

Failing that then Plumpton would get my vote as a gorgeous little track and a family-esque atmosphere, also relatively easy to get to and Aintree for Becher Chase day.

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 125

One almost on your doorstep is Chepstow. The flat racing is moderate at best, but hold some tidy NH racing. It also has a picturesque backdrop.

However, if you are of a nervous disposition do not go to the Ladies Night. Alternatively, if you are a male deviant you may be pleased by what you see.

Lastly, the big minus on the latest evening meeting at Chepstow was the incessant drone of Matt Chapman over the PA system. But what the heck give it a go.

akaali
    • Total Posts 39

If you’re north of the Border my recommended courses from worst to best would be: Ayr – Musselburgh – Hamilton – Kelso – Perth, unless you are a huge fan of the bigger fixtures in which case reverse that. I look for character in a course and Perth and Kelso have bags of it.

denmaniac
    • Total Posts 9

Many thanks for the advice. Will definately be giving some of these a look in the near future. Forgot to list Chepstow, I have beeen there for the boxing day meet and it was a top day despite arctic temperatures.

One less to tick off the list!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Cartmel (NAP). Deranged, moderate, but with a charm and beauty like nowhere on Earth.

Hexham (NB). Spartan, arctic, but with a charm and beauty like nearly nowhere on Earth.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Didmarton can’t be very far from you and a lovely meeting for the Duke of Beaufort’s point to point.

Try Newmarket. Despite it’s detractors you can have a great time. Go for one of the packed out Friday night meetings with a band – great atmosphere. Stay the night and venture out to watch the horses exercising on the heath after your breakfast then pop into the National Racing Museum. Follow that up by going to Saturday afternoon racing which is much quieter and usually has a touch of class about the card.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Seconded – Didmarton is as well-run and competitive a point-to-point as you’ll find. First Saturday in March, should you wish to diarize (sic) it already.

An alternative on the same day is a point-to-point meeting in South Wales, namely the Brecon at Llanfrynach. This really is the Charlie Chuck of pointing courses – twisty, gully-laden and deranged, all the fences are as high as bullfinches and just as easy to crash right through.

I’ve never yet managed to get there, but it’s as popular as Welsh points get with both paying customers and trainers – if you do get there, expect nine or 10 races, few finishers, big crowds, mud everywhere, and all in all a singular day out. Very much on my own "to do" list for 2011.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

Many thanks for the advice. Will definately be giving some of these a look in the near future. Forgot to list Chepstow, I have beeen there for the boxing day meet and it was a top day despite arctic temperatures.

One less to tick off the list!

Hmmm, never known Chepstow to have a boxing day meeting. Don’t think it would be a good idea for the Welsh National to clash with the King George. Anyway,any racing fan who lives in Bristol should surely have visited Wincanton and Taunton.

If not, you should.

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

Hexham (NB). Spartan, arctic, but with a charm and beauty like nearly nowhere on Earth.

Fully agreed, Mr Grayson. If it’s picturesque you’re after, Hexham beats anywhere else in Britain. Only Goodwood comes close…

• Total Posts 469

Newmarket July course – very pretty, good viewing, generally good racing. You’ll have to wait until next year for that though.

Warwick in Winter – reasonable price, good viewing, friendly. Go for the first weekend meeting in December, or the mid-January feature meeting, if it ever survives the weather :( Nice places in the area if you want to make a long weekend of it.

Probably nearest to you – Curragh or Leaopardstown – way cheaper than english courses (e.g. 20 euro for most days at Curragh, often free entry is available if you look around), really friendly, relatively quiet, good viewing, good racing. Also rarely afflicted by the drunks and tossers that are spoiling english racing (imo)

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Try Ludlow. It’s a small friendly course in a lovely rural setting with the Clee Hill as a back drop. Relatively easy to get to from Bristol too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.