The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Race Scheduling

Home Forums Horse Racing Race Scheduling

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8145

Well done to the genius who has decided to start the Silver Trophy at Chepstow at 3.30 and the Cesarewich at 3.35.

I suppose it takes them a long time to get to the start and then put them in the stalls at Newmarket but it is crazy to have these gwo big betting races scheduled so close together. :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 946

If you think that is bad scheduling who decided to have next year’s Scottish National the week BEFORE Aintree?!?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4419

Patriot, I don’t know what you’re moaning about. The Scottish National can be used as the perfect prep race for the big one. Just make sure you make a note of any horse that is pulled up at Ayr and turns out at Aintree the following week.

Just being sarcastic, in case anyone can’t tell. It’s a stupid decision and takes a lot of the sheen off Scotland’s biggest race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 946

You had me worried for a minute there Glad 🙂

This decision has to seriously dilute the quality of the race.

Every year you have horses who were unable to run at Aintree(balloted out, unsuitable ground, illness etc) plus horses who didn’t make it far in the National. None of those horses will line up at Ayr as they will be kept for the following Saturday.

Also the Scottish is regularly in the top 10 races for betting turnover for the whole year so why move it?

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 591

Happens all the time now. Racecourses desperate for money have no interest in clashes with other fixtures. Odd really as it clearly will affect attendances

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2900

Newmarket’s last race today is an intriguing G3 contest featuring the return of Barney Roy against Mostahdaf and others and yet no place for it on terrestial TV.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3365

The sport is run by buffoons.
    Since they changed to these “funny” times eg 2.02, 3.17, 4.44, 5.39 etc there have been more race clashes than before.

Participant
    • Total Posts 709

I find having the 1m Autumn Stakes the same day as the 7f Dewhurst equally baffling. I remember it being run on the Saturday of the Ascot October meeting…..which was 6 days before the Dewhurst.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8145

And of course Newmarket was late off. At least it avoided being on the heels of Chepstow but it did mean RTV had to show the Ces on a split screen with Fairyhouse.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1552

Would love to know the reason for the Scottish National being moved to the week before Aintree. On face value it seems completely bananas. I presume the Midlands National will also be just two weeks before the new date on Saturday 19 March.

Surprised this has not had more attention in the racing press.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 193

Happens all the time now. Racecourses desperate for money have no interest in clashes with other fixtures. Odd really as it clearly will affect attendances

If by attendances you mean people turning up on course, I suspect many of them couldn’t care less what races are going on even at the track they are at never mind elsewhere, so long as they can dress up , get drunk and listen to some music afterwards they are happy (as are the bean counters)

Participant
    • Total Posts 946

I’m not entirely sure Marlingford. The 16th is Easter weekend but can’t see why that should affect Ayr.

It also means the Scottish is just a fortnight after Cheltenham so it will be hard for horses to come from the big 3 mile handicap(what’s it called these days) or the novice handicaps at the festival.

I’m not sure who will be left to run at Ayr.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2112

The Scottish national before Aintree is just crazy, it’s always been after. And also been a benefit for some horses who ran in grand national at Aintree that say may have come down at first fence or early fence at Aintree, so they then got to run in the Scottish national, horse like say vintage clouds the other year fell first Aintree so went to run at Ayr after and ran really well to

VF x

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.