The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics Queen Mother Champion Chase 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

They’ll stray because he has won a Champion Chase and HDB has a difficult owner to deal with in Alan Potts. He is the one dreaming of Gold Cups. I doubt they’re going to be scared off by just one horse, it’ll be a simple matter of if he doesn’t show the potential to stay three miles + at Championship pace this season, they’ll revert to the Champion Chase.

The Ryanair is viewed as the race for horses not good enough to contest in either side, and Sizing definitely doesn’t belong in that category.

SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Sizing was actually brought over here for the 2010 King George for the scheduled race on boxing day but didn’t return after Xmas as he’d been affected by the travel. That just reaffirms the fact that they’re not running from anything. Straight after he won the CC in 2011, Alan Potts on TV actually mentioned the Gold Cup and further trips for last year. I’m sure he’ll target them this year.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I don’t know you might be right, but in a sense what you just said just reaffirms what I think. If the trainer is fascinated by the ultimate glory, why end up in a race he’s destined to finish at best second in come the festival?

SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Common sense, I guess.

I mean at a push, you could argue that his races close to, or at, three miles have proven a little inconclusive. His seasonal debut in 2010 saw him finish 7l behind China Rock, however I think the trainer and jockey made clear the horse wasn’t near peak fitness and gave a good blow during the race. On his next start he then finished second to Kauto Star on testing ground.

He would have finished second to Rubi Light on his seasonal debut last year but for that one capsizing at the last – again he wasn’t at peak fitness and Rubi Light is a monster on heavy ground. He was then clearly outstayed by Quito De La Roque in testing conditions over three miles.

So really, you could argue that Sizing Europe is best on a sound surface and hasn’t had the chance to show his best over three miles as yet. The King George would be the acid test and should he pass that with flying colours, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go for the Gold Cup. I just feel the Ryanair is an insult to such a great horse.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

But there again lies the old point – theres a HUGE difference between 3 miles around Kempton and 3 miles 2 1/2 furlongs around Cheltenham.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

With Sizing Europe reaching the twilight of his career, I think perhaps it’s too late for him to be experimenting with 3m2f. Especially with the three promising stayers in Bobs Worth, Sir Des Champs and Flemenstar waiting to pounce. If Sizing Europe was ever going to win a Gold Cup, it would have been last year. Besides, he’s still the top 2 mile chaser behind Sprinter Sacre so if anything were to happen to Henderson’s phenom, Sizing Europe would be right in line to pick up the pieces.

I know Alan Potts makes no secret of his desire to win a Gold Cup but hopefully, he will have given up on the Sizing Europe fantasy and perhaps switched to dreaming those dreams with Buckers Bridge (or Go All The Way)…

• Total Posts 1533

Old old story Boz…the falacy that Kempton is an easy 3 miles which it is if your racing against mules.

However you just need to look at Somersby and how well he was going turning for home before hitting the brick wall known as stamina limitations.

When yo race against the best no 3 miles is easy and you have to stay ever yard of it.

I’d be very surprised if Sizing Europe sees it out well enough to win if he goes for the King George. Long Run isn’t exactly slow and he stays for sure and with Finians Rainbow looking likely to be taking him on the pace is hardly going to be slow. Then of course if Kauto retains any ability at all you can expect him to be attempting to turn the screw anywhere between the 5th and 3rd last.

If Sizing Europe flops at Kempton then it depends on what Finians Rainbow does from there on in’ If he gets 3 miles you can forget the QMCC. He’ll go Ryanair or Gold Cup depending on how he does at Kempton.

Well before that I expect Sanctuaire to be kicked into touch and be totally out of the QMCC picture then enter Sizing Europe.

If the owner has dreams about him winning the Gold Cup and the bubble gets burst yet again the next best thing would be to try and beat Sprinter Sacre which of course is impossible :wink:

More money for finishing second in the QMCC than there is for finishing 2nd in the Ryanair is what they may have to consider.

If Nicky Henderson ends up sending both Riverside Theatre and Finian’s Rainbow in the Ryanair that would surely add to the likelihood that Sizing Europe will have another crack at the QMCC with an easy 70k for second there for the taking.

Lot of if’s and buts but I recon as I pointed out before he ran Sizing Europe looked a very good back to lay for the QMCC……price has gone but he’s still big enough to take a punt.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I think you misunderstood me HGM. I at no point said Sizing Europe would get the King George trip. In fact if you read back you could actually quote me as saying that he is ‘a 2 mile horse, end of’.

Billymag
    • Total Posts 32

Totally agree about the misconception about Kempton being an easy 3 miles just look at the horses that have won it, I never gave Masterminded or Captain Chris a chance of seeing out the trip and I wouldnt give Sizing Europe one either, that however doesnt mean they wont try it.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Woah woah woah I totally agree, never claimed it was an ‘easy’ 3 miles. I’m the same, I didn’t give Master Minded a chance last year, only potentially touted Captain Chris as I thought he’d get further, not because I thought it was easy. All I said was that there’s a big difference between the King George and Gold Cup trip!

Billymag
    • Total Posts 32

Bozlike, I wasnt having a go, just stating an opinion on the King George mate, Id read your previous post and understood what you were meaning.

I think that Finians will go to the King George as well and will also not have enough stamina and as a result will be diverted to the Ryanair at the festival and for that reason im keen to back him for the Ryanair if I can get a decent enough price, around 18/1 would be what I would consider taking.

• Total Posts 1533

I was agreeing with you Boz not saying you were saying what you were not saying so I won’t say it again in case you think I was saying what I was not saying about what you were saying……..what was it you said again? :lol:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I was agreeing with you Boz not saying you were saying what you were not saying so I won’t say it again in case you think I was saying what I was not saying about what you were saying……..what was it you said again? :lol:

Happy days….I think :lol:

Anyway, how about this Sprinter Sacre chap for the Champion Chase? :wink:

• Total Posts 1533

Nicky Dropped him back in trip after the Neptune because he was far too excitable and was burning himself out. Apparently no one could go any where near him when he was a young horse or he’d have kicked you into the middle of next week but now he’s nice and relaxed and settles really well and won at Aintree over 2m4f running away.

tbh I felt a bit silly when I put him up as future King George horse before the Arkle and then they kept him at 2 miles but it seems Nicky has always thought he’ll get 3 miles so we’ll see.

• Total Posts 1533

He’s got a chance!!

Of being the first horse to have been awarded a walkover at the Cheltenham Festival :mrgreen:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

He’s got a chance!!

Of being the first horse to have been awarded a walkover at the Cheltenham Festival :mrgreen:

:lol:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Double post

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.