The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Anne Stakes 2021

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2021 Queen Anne Stakes 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Palace Pier 5/1

Big fan of this horse and am hopeful he will show himself to be the premier miler in Europe this season

Got stuck in the mud at ascot but before that looked a serious horse

On better ground he will take some beating if he’s as good as I think he could be.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3888

FF91, quite funny, i’ve literally just been looking at RA and come to the same conclusion. I reckon he might be a weekly top up sort of horse..

Has shown he handles a straight mile at Newcastle + Deauville.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Yes I think its a very weak division and he could be comfortably the best in it

Iv had quite a big bet on him for me, pretty much a max stake

And will be having him as a key player in a good few royal ascot multis too

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

Yeah I’ve been mulling this one over for weeks now! He’s been cut, because they opened at 6s. No word from JG anywhere is there?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3888

I’ve heard nothing Frenchy.

Mind you, i’m full scale NH at the moment.

Have you any idea if any of the decent 3yo milers were retired?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

Agree with Palace Pier
    Smashing horse

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

AOB is keeping a load of horses in, few older milers there,

PP will likely go lockinge first as well, I think I’m going to hold off. I was disappointed at Ascot, excuses obviously but still disappointed

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

I’ve found myself questioning Palace Piers form lately when looking more at this race. I was a big fan of his last year but let’s look back at the races. Did he just outstay 2 horses that were better over 7F in the SJP? Quite possibly.

At least 3 horses ran stinkers in the JLM, well below form so all he beat there was Alpine Star and only 3/4 length. He looked in trouble at one point too.

Then he was well beaten in the QEII, there’s apparent excuses there but it wasn’t a very strong field and usually horses of 125 ratings get past needing to make excuses.

Is he that good? It’s a fair question to ask I think.

He doesn’t appear to be a really speedy sort, he’s strong and athletic and that would suit an Ascot straight mile horse usually but I just have a little doubt in my mind now

Lope Y Fernandez looked unbelievable mid part of some races last year, I wonder does he have a big one in him as a 4 year old.

Very interested to see how they’ve both progressed 3 to 4.

I think this older mile division is a bit more intriguing than it looks at first glance

Participant
    • Total Posts 3888

It is quite possible, i suppose the mile division has been that bad everyones looking at the next horse as a potential star.

Whether he outstayed horses better over 7f or not, Pinatubo was still capable running Kameko 122 rated to 1l over 1mile and 125 rated Persian King. So the form lines are there considering the horse was having what? his 4th start.
    Does that crown him as a mile superstar? Not quite.
    While i agree alot ran stinkers in the JLM, beating Alpine Star a strong stayer over a mile on heavy was backed up with her run next time vs Tarnawa no? Also backs up that he can handle a straight mile.

I’m always willing to forgive a horse 1 bad run, especially on that sort of ground. They often say you can get away with running on bad ground once, but not twice.

I agree on Lope Y Fernandez, was never a fan of the idea of dropping him in trip for me he looked a miler all along.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I see mogul has a Lockinge entry :wacko:

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

Yeah it’s not a bad form line with Alpine Star by any means and you’re right about Pinatubo. I think PP is very good, don’t get me wrong, but is he 125 good? Not that convinced he’s not beatable anymore.

Haha Mogul, surely they won’t run him over a mile?!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

The Revenant is out tomorrow in France. Unusual as last two seasons only raced twice in the same races each year.

Interesting that he is out on the track early wouldn’t be surprised with this race in mind having won a QEII here.

The elder mile division is pretty poor at present and he would be a player.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

He’s a mudlark on current evidence though. Haven’t seen the ground tomorrow but if he wins well on decent ground then we’d need to take a closer note I think yeah tb

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Granted a lot of his form has come on softer ground, but has won twice on good ground and is now 1,1,3 on good. Think he will have just needed that yesterday, should come on a lot for it.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

Yeah but look at when he’s run. They’ve never raced him in summer even when he’s been out in March. They probably have the Queen Anne lined up in case they get rain for it but otherwise I’d stay well clear of him as I’d say it’s 50/50 at best he’d even turn up

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Would be canny dissapointing if The Revenant was the best the older milers could offer this season, admirable though he is. Palace Pier grinding it out for Daddy & Thaddy would be bad enough – he doesn’t particularly do it for me either.

I was impressed with Top Rank at Donny, lovely close up of his head too thanks to whichever plum was doing the camerawork! Still unexposed, cracking strike rate, and If Jacket Tatie had left anything to work on after Donny, he could be a player at the top level over a mile this season.

I shall be viewing the Lockinge and then having a think.

BUY THE SUN

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1427

Daddy and thaddy, haha!

Yeah I was very impressed with Top Rank the other day considering how well he did on soft in the superior mile, depends how much he has left to work on though as you say and we’d have to be worried about fast summer ground you’d think although he has won on GF

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.