The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Elizabeth II Stakes 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Queen Elizabeth II Stakes 2017

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7669

WINTER 8/1

Won race with Minding last year and think this be target race for her she going back to 1m in matron.With Churchill going up in trip doubt 1m be for him.And think drop back to 1m suit her much better.

Participant
    • Total Posts 566

I think Le Brivido could be the best miler in Europe. Would love to see him and Winter clash.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

I’ve nibbled at the 10/1 on offer about Al Wukair. I still believe we have yet to see the best of him and maybe this is the race we’ll finally see it. With many of the market principles potentially taking up other engagements he could be left with Ribchester to beat and he may struggle to give weight away to such a classy 3 year old as this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 566

I’ve nibbled at the 10/1 on offer about Al Wukair. I still believe we have yet to see the best of him and maybe this is the race we’ll finally see it. With many of the market principles potentially taking up other engagements he could be left with Ribchester to beat and he may struggle to give weight away to such a classy 3 year old as this.

I think I’d rather go for the 16/1 for the Champion Stakes, personally. I could be wrong, but I thought his trainer had mentioned stepping him up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

I heard the same comments but feel that they will see sense and keep the horse to a mile with an eye to stepping up in trip next year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

I did Ribchester at 4/1.
    The Sussex was a complete tactical balls up, won’t happen again.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2845

It’s not a race I’d play antepost on but I agree that we haven’t seen the best of Al Wukair yet.

I still think that I was correct in backing him for this years Guineas but the slow pace denied him. He ran brilliantly despite the slow pace in that race.

Clints
    Participant
    • Total Posts 245

I did Ribchester at 4/1.
    The Sussex was a complete tactical balls up, won’t happen again.

Im with you here. Took 4/1 before his French trip last weekend and now been trimmed into 3/1. Hard to tell what will turn up for this but am with you 100% that you can put a line through that Goodwood run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31926

Ribchester @ 3/1 still excellent value imo. Didn’t need to be at his very best at the weekend. Idles these days and rarely shows how much he’s got in hand. Proven on all but heavy ground, even then imo would’ve won the Sussex with a stronger ride. Has the best mile form around (by a fair margin) and by far the most likely to turn up. Yes, several three year olds could improve, but which ones are going to turn up?

Best of them – Winter – would be excellent value @ 8/1 if you could be certain this is her target; fact is punters are guessing. Has the Sun Chariot, Arc, Champion Filly & Mare and Champion Stakes as very valid alternatives. Expect Hydrangea to go for the l’Opera and so whether Winter runs in the Sun Chariot might depend on who else Ballydoyle have available for that race. Roly Poly disappointed at the weekend after a busy season, is Rhododendron fully fit? Or… where’s Alice Springs? But as I say, that’s guessing. Quick turn around if deciding to go for both Sun Chariot and QEII would be a negative for her chance in this. Best of luck to any punter willing to take a chance on her target.

Churchill has had a busy time recently – International and Irish Champion, though didn’t have a hard race in latter so should be fully fit. Still imo no better than 50-50, here or the Champion. Ditto Barney Roy, who surely will be kept apart from the Godolphin favourite? Churchill’s target may depend more on the going (stamina considerations). If good or firmer more likely to go Champion, good-soft or may be soft might come here, but will he run at all on soft/heavy after Goodwood? However, Champion looks a far more open race at this point in time. AOB wants easier Group 1 races so as to break the Group 1 annual world record.

French are interesting and have a good record at this meeting. Al Wukair most likely one to turn up, scrambled home in the Marois. May improve a bit further but seems a little temperamental and needs luck in running. Will compatriot Taareef come over? Had his chance of beating Ribchester at the weekend and didn’t. Le Brevido won the Jersey quite easily despite being in the wrong group, a Group 1 performance in a Group 3. But hasn’t run since and will Fabre run both him and Al Wukair?

Balding’s Beat The Bank is a horse I love, progressive, genuine and consistent; but needs to go to a different level here. Others shouldn’t be good enough.

Am sure one or two of the doubtful runners will turn up, but no knowing which ones will and that has to be taken in to account with prices am willing to take. imo At time of writing Ribchester must have better than a fair 25% (3/1) chance. Expect it to increase to around 33% or more by day of race and therefore start 15/8 or even shorter depending on who takes him on.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8249

I’ve been following Ribchester since his 2YO and did him ante-post for the 2000 Guineas at 33/1. I went in in again, each-way at the same odds in the Spring and he rewarded the support.

He seemed the obvious value at 4/1 and even though Al Wukair was my Guineas horse this season and Le Brivido was an ante-post success for me at 7/1 in the Jersey Stakes, I could not escape the notion that the consistent Richester was the horse to be with. Obviously I was disappointed when he met defeat but that was a funny old race and the jockey was a bit of a pussy on the day.

The French horses have been getting on my nerves this season, with so many of them getting helplessly left out the back with far too much to do. I consider myself lucky to have landed the French 2000 Guineas and Derby and then the French Oaks at ante-post odds this season. I reckon staying with them here would be pushing my luck, so I just stayed with Ribchester.

I would just about favour Le Brivido over Al Wukair because he is a short head away from being an unbeaten French Guineas winner. In retrospect the 7/1 for the Group 3 Jersey looks like a gift from the Gods. I think with Al Wukair it might always be a question of how far he may get behind early.

Ribchester is hopefully “The Kiddie” here.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

Richard Hannon Stan James Blog

Everything is going well with BARNEY ROY ahead of Champions Day on 21st October and I’d say we’re probably favouring towards the QE II (over a mile) rather than the Champions Stakes which is 2 furlongs further. Obviously, a lot depends on the ground but it’s likely to be on the soft side which makes the mile race the more logical target. He’s in great form at home and it’s just a case of keeping him healthy and happy until the race. There’s no need to take him away for a gallop so we’ll keep him on home soil and start to step up his work in the next couple of weeks.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Barney Roy v Ribchester?

As fun as it would be to see, I don’t see it happening. Maybe they’ll hold Ribchester back for the Breeders Cup?

Participant
    • Total Posts 566

Barney Roy v Ribchester?

As fun as it would be to see, I don’t see it happening. Maybe they’ll hold Ribchester back for the Breeders Cup?

Ribchester could end up being Barney Roy’s pacemaker! 😉

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

I’ve had a sly win bet on Sir John Lavery at 33/1. If he wins at Newmarket on Friday (for which he is a general 3/1 shot) then surely the QE2 must be next stop especially given his ability to act on a softer surface and you’d be whistling for these odds.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

As expect Barney more likely to go for the Champion Stakes, with Hannon citing Ribchester (same ownership) running in the QE11. Didn’t he know that when he said the complete opposite last time…?

As the season begins to head towards the latter stages and with the ground getting softer we have started to finish a few of ours and put them away until next year hence we’re pretty quiet tomorrow. Obviously, we’ve got BARNEY ROY to run at Ascot on Qipco British Champions day and after discussing it with the owners it is looking much more likely that he’ll take his chance in the G1 Champions Stakes (over 1m2f) rather than the QEII (over a mile). Godolphin also have Ribchester in the QEII so it makes sense to have a crack at the big one but that’s not to say he won’t drop back to a mile next year as we’ll be looking at races like the Lockinge for him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 566

So, Hannon clearly sees him as a miler but they don’t want to, or have been told not to, get in Ribchester’s way. I can understand why, but it’s seriously frustrating as a viewer.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

Ribchester is still too big a price on this
    What exactly has Beat the Bank actually beat…?
    Nothing near Ribchester’s standard 11/4 vs 5/1 really?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.