The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Punchestown Festival 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Punchestown Festival 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 296 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Did he under perform or did he just not like Cheltenham …that’s the question , if he gets there fit then CPS vs Shiskin could be the race of chelt 2022

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Id say a few of Willie’s underperformed at Cheltenham

Monkfish and Concertista didnt look themselves either

Hed have won on the snaff if he travelled like that at Cheltenham

It cant have just been the track surely

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Connections were saying that they wished they made more use of CPS at Cheltenham.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Indeed – and Townend was definitely not in danger of making that error again today. I wasn’t expecting him to take on his stablemate for the lead.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Thing is he was in front after the last so I don’t understand why they think that , I just don’t think he quite got up the hill

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I think they believe CPS breaks other horses 4-6f out when ridden appropriately. I tend to agree actually.

BUY THE SUN

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

just don’t think he quite got up the hill

Punchestown has a hill and so does Leopardstown. Despite how well Mullins did at the DRF and Cheltenham, some of his did underperform and I wonder if a few had a mild dose of what the Elliott and Cromwell horses had around the start of the year (Nicky Henderson and probably Olly Murphy others to have the lurgy on the other side of the ditch).

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Have we seen our first 180+ horse in a long time?

It was too much of a coincidence that 10-12 years ago we had 4/5 horses reach 180+ around the same time but haven’t had any in last 6/7 years.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

GG that’s true but beef and salmon won all over Ireland but hated Cheltenham

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Good point. Could dislike the course, or maybe just likes curling up in his own stable at night.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3887

Doesn’t mean the hill beat him.

Leopardstown has a testing hill, and he ran 2m 1 1/2f there stayed the incline ok.

As Mike says, i think they didn’t have the rright tactics at the festival. He jumps them silly.

Would Allaho have won being held up in the Ryanair? Probably not. Some horses suit going out and putting pressure on the others jumping. He didn’t get to do that at Cheltenham.

PS, wd GAG!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

OK roll on the next big clash. I’ve gone for Envoi Allen on grounds of daisy freshness. But wouldn’t mind if Colreevy won, she is so tough. Monkfish’s jumping when not under pressure bothered me a bit.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Thanks Jack she is a good pilot and plopped him in front at the right time.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Monkfish will probably try and do a ‘Chacun’ on Envoi Allen to see if he cracks.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Will be keeping a close eye on Franco de Port as well. I know it doesn’t look like it from the trips he has been campaigned over so far, and he’ll have to improve his jumping but…could he be a future National horse?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16516

I hope Monkfish can continue winning. Interestingly about Colreevy Mullins says “The trip will suit but the drying ground won’t. She is in foal to Walk In The Park and hopefully she will give a good account on what will be her last run.” He also says it will be a fascinating contest….

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Two bubbles well and truly burst there.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 296 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.