The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Punchestown Festival 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Punchestown Festival 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 296 total)
  • Author
    ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3411

Below par is an understatement dbr hopefully hes back on form

Allaho is very interesting back at 2m, tough race sat out CPS at chelt pretty much, but ill be piling in tomorrow

One of the best days racing youll see tomorrow in regards to the main races, really top stuff, cheltenham 2.0 minus the ryanair and jlt, doesnt get any better IMO

• Total Posts 14920

Good luck Ham with Chacun, think he owes you. Completely agree as well, superb card today.

DBR, I’m trying hard not to bet in that race, but I agree about Dewcup. Very nice price, and I’m tempted.

Participant
    • Total Posts 891

Im siding with JOB in the two big handicaps. Sky go 7 places in the 3.40 and 4.50.

Scholastic in the 3.40 – may have disappointed at Cheltenham LTO but she’s ahead of these off a mark of 123 IMO. She has been running in much more competitive races than this, has C&D winning form and with 7 places @ 9/1 I cannot see her out of the frame. Cheltenham may not have suited her and back here I think she has a massive chance. Took 12 on the exchange.

Midnight Run in the 4.50 is a really interesting one that feels like a plot to me. Was 2nd to Envoi Allen on the flat, then beat Column Of Fire and Easywork, which is pretty good going. Beat Colreevy in his maiden hurdle 10L on soft ground, and she was backed that day like defeat was out of the question. That was a good enough performance to book his place in the Royal Bond and Lawlors at Naas where he disappointed, and they subsequently went chasing. Ran a fine 6th on debut after 314 days off, but then ran Captain Guinness to 4L. That was a serious performance IMO and CG is a 150’s animal, and the 3rd that day finishing 30L back has subsequently won since, as have a number of others who were beaten out of sight. He comes back to hurdles and JOB has booked arguably the best claimer in Ireland in Jordon Gainford to take 7lbs off his back. I could be way off, but this stinks of a plot to me. 14/1 EW 7 places seems fair and also took 19 on the Exchange. Doubled EW with Scholastic too.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

Scholastic hit the front way too soon at Cheltenham and virtually pulled herself up in front

She travelled like a well handicapped horse and in this big field, delivered late must have a good chance charlie

Going to join you

9/1 e/w

Kendicate
    Participant
    • Total Posts 369

As y’all say a real treat to end the season on a high.

3.40 – great bear
    4.15 – echos of rain
    4.50 – ruaille buaille (can’t see this out the places)
    5.25 – Allaho
    6.30 – sticking with monkfish

Must have been a tough call for ITV4 to stick with reruns of the chase rather than this top class action live.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Backed:

3.40 Great Bear, back down in class, ground will suit and he’ll run his race. Doesn’t win often but this is a poor contest in theory and hopefully at the price he’ll go close.
    4.50 Polished Steel, in theory shouldn’t have a hope here in a race with proper unexposed sorts but he has saved his best runs for the track and the ground. 10pd lower hurdle mark. Jessie has quietened down with her NH winners/runners but she’s always targeted here. Also done Exit Poll for that reason, and his maiden hurdle form is strong. Fancied him to go well when falling over fences at Fairyhouse, so off a lower mark i think he can here too.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

• Total Posts 14920

The opener is a cracker, and I’ve split stakes with a pair who ran well in defeat last time, Fighting Fit, and Great Bear.

Great Bear is the bigger fancy of the two. I took a wee bit at 14’s yesterday, but most of is it at 11’s, while I took the 10’s Fighting Fit.

I buckled in the next and took Dewcup EW. It’s unlikely, but it looked the wrong price.

Don’t know where to start with the 1650. What a strong race, and could have changed my mind every two minutes. Magic Tricks and Call Me Lyreen are real notebook horses, while Champagne Gold looks a huge danger. Landed on Midnight Run and The Mouse Doctor. Midnight Run looked destined for the top, but after some shockers last year, his last run over fences was highly encouraging. He’s clearly been held back, thrown in on his best, and Jordan Gainfords claim is very handy. Big chance. The Mouse Doctor is an old favourite, and he’s got a solid EW chance.

In the 1755, I like the look of both Nonbinding, and Springwell Bay on jockey bookings, but it’s complete guesswork. I might take the 12’s on Springwell, but I’ll see later. Very guessy race.

I can’t believe they’re still running Enniskillen, and I’m uncomfortable betting a 16yo, but he’s been a great horse to follow over the years. Feel as if I’ve been betting him here forever. Loves it here, currently 22’s, and he’s the perfect horse for laying in running when he’s a price. I’ll hopefully get a nice price before the off.

1540 – Fighting Fit 10’s
    1540 – Great Bear 14’s
    1615 – Dewcup 40’s EW
    1650 – Midnight Run 18’s
    1650 – The Mouse Doctor EW 7pls
    1900 – Enniskillen

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I think the clashes today between Monkfish and Envoi Allen, and CPS, Allaho, and Nubre Negra, are more exciting than the entire Cheltenham Festival. Proof of the current format has too many races.

BUY THE SUN

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 593

I’ve backed Hallowed Star in the opener. Hailed as the next Hidden Cyclone no less when winning his bumper on good ground last summer, he will enjoy being back on a sound surface being by Sea The Stars. Very keen on his chances.

Also backed Wonder Laish in the handicap hurdle. Bit of a patchy record but if on a going day, 16/1 is a very juicy price.

I also think/hope Envoi Allen puts his disappointment at Cheltenham behind him. I just think he’s better than Monkfish, as good as Monkfish is.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 429

I’ve picked a few out, but bigger bets will probably be as the week progresses.

I like Scholastic in the opener, took 10-1.

Master McShee and Whiskey Sour in the 1650, both of these at 22-1.

Allaho couldn’t have been more impressive at Cheltenham, and I’m happy even though 13-8 is skinny.

The 1755 is hard to be confident on, but I went with Huntingtown at 14-1.

FiftyP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 142

3.40 Hallowed Star 13/2
    4.50 Jazzaway 9/1 ew
    6.30 Colreevy 15/2
    7.00 Precious Bounty 66/1 ew

I have a triple with Hallowed Star, Jazzaway and Precious Bounty, ew for 25p.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Interesting to note that the OR has Colreevy as the best horse at the weights. Surprised me somewhat, and the bookmakers clearly disagree with this assessment.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 12797

It’s a wide open start to the Festival with a 24 runner handicap, but I’ll
    give a shout to Swelltime who had some decent form last year
    and should come on for his 1st run earlier this month after a long break

Swelltime 33/1 7 places Skybet

Participant
    • Total Posts 12797

Grateful for Totesport’s extra places in the 1st, Swelltime coming in 6th. I think
    he’s one to watch for next time, made up a lot of ground coming from well back
    towards the finish.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 573

I can’t have a bet at the price, but I’m really hopeful that Echoes In Rain could turn out to be a good one here.

• Total Posts 14920

I think she will Autumnal. Not really the type that I follow, but she should have a good time of it next year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 12797

I’ve gone for Midnight Run 16/1 7 places Skybet 4.50 Punchestown. He’s run in
    better races than this after a win at Cork last year, albeit without
    any success. Ran a more encouraging race last time out, runner up here,
    and has a shout at decent odds.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 296 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.