The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pricewise

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ProfessortrubshaweProfessortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 506

I recently read a book called the thoughts and secrets of successful punters. It didn’t contain any secrets but Pricewise of the Racing Post admitted he never read form just analysed races he’d taped on the telly. I think this may explain why he can be so wide of the mark.

Any thoughts?

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Tom Segal, Pricewise’s most prominent tipster, has a fine record and I think it was Tom who made that comment.

There’s much to be said, imo, for using your eyes for race-watching rather than form-reading.

For example, last season many pundits – Lydia Hislop in particular – would have had you believe that Menorah is a fine jumper: he often does put in an excellent jump but I looked back through videos of all his races to find that he made some awful blunders at times. That made me confident about laying him in the CH and also prompted me to oppose him at odds on for his fencing debut.

There’s much to be said for interpreting your own form although it is hellishly time-consuming.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

ProfessortrubshaweProfessortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 506

Tom Segal, Pricewise’s most prominent tipster, has a fine record and I think it was Tom who made that comment.

There’s much to be said, imo, for using your eyes for race-watching rather than form-reading.

For example, last season many pundits – Lydia Hislop in particular – would have had you believe that Menorah is a fine jumper: he often does put in an excellent jump but I looked back through videos of all his races to find that he made some awful blunders at times. That made me confident about laying him in the CH and also prompted me to oppose him at odds on for his fencing debut.

There’s much to be said for interpreting your own form although it is hellishly time-consuming.

He did say it, yes. I noticed the other week he tipped up a horse – can’t remember which one – and I was surprised as it had a poor record on the day’s going. It’s the sort of thing you might overlook if you were doing it all visually.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

He did say it, yes. I noticed the other week he tipped up a horse – can’t remember which one – and I was surprised as it had a poor record on the day’s going. It’s the sort of thing you might overlook if you were doing it all visually.

It’s a price thing Prof. Sometimes it is worth backing a horse despite most evidence suggesting a horse doesn’t act on the going.

I backed Hunters Light at Goodwood. Managed to put a friend off backing it too, by saying "Probably won’t go on the ground". Yet despite all the evidence suggesting Hunters Light didn’t go on the ground, ended up backing it purely because of price. It won!

Pricewise is all about whether price is worth the risk.

value is everything
    RedRum77RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

I remember years ago seeing Carvill Hill jumping in the welsh national. Which he won by a country mile from Party Politics. Everyone was impressed but me, I saw those mistakes and wonder what would happen if he was pressured. In those days the was no exchanges or I’d be surely tempted to lay CH for the Gold Cup that season.

Just an example of seeing thing some might miss.

tony007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 36

I’ve been interested in horse racing since the age of 12 which was 44 years ago when I lived in South Africa in all that time I have taken notice of no tipster believing they are just there to mislead. Until I came across Pricewise he is the best tipster I have ever come across whilst I dont have a wager on all of his selections I make sure I know what they are I am surprised he does’ent read the form though. :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

I’ve no doubt Tom does "read form" Tony.

He just also likes to watch the racing too. I certainly find it is much easier to judge a horse’s temperament by doing so. eg Helped me back Golan Way at Sandown on Friday.

value is everything
    ZarkavaZarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

2 posts & 2 bits of after-timing. Impressive!

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

What aftertiming Zark?

It’s on my thread in DLAP. :?

value is everything
    chalk jockey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 252

If you are backing outsiders it is certain that most of your selections will be wide of the mark.
    I back mainly outsiders on a good day I will back a good priced winner.On a bad day I will wonder if a horse I backed to win a classic last year can win a novice hurdle at Fontwell.I can only hope there are enough good days.

If you go to back a certainty always buy a return ticket.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.