The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Premier League 2013-14

Home Forums General Sports Premier League 2013-14

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1800

Unfortunately Chelsea outplayed and out-bullied them, it was another splash from the diver but no penalty and I wanted to see a penalty too for the draw.

Still, back on top with some soft games to keep them there till the first week in February then a difficult couple of months, if Arsenal are within 3 points of the top at the end of March I’ll be happy, though top team at the end of the year usually wins – if it was done on calendar years Arsenal are top for 2013.

Liverpool back outside the top four again and not even the best team in Liverpool again, with Spurs and Utd recovering they may not even make Europa, again, which is poor considering they don’t have the distraction of European football either.

Nearly a quarter of a century since Liverpool last won it and everybody involved then are collecting their pensions now and they’re on their ninth manager since last winning it – if it was down to stats, the computer is saying no again..

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

L’pool have already played Spurs, Arsenal, Everton, City, Chelsea and even Newcastle away with Man United being the only exception. All to play for as far as a Champions League spot goes although I’d favour Arsenal to take 4th with L’Pool 5th. City 1st, Chelsea 2nd, United 3rd.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 1800

Yes, they’ve all played each other as it’s the half way point.

At least you’ve accepted Liverpool won’t be troubling the top three and that United will likely finish above them, which means the best they are looking at is Europa.

But that will depend on the games against Tottenham, Newcastle and not forgetting the best team in Merseyside on recent season’s form, Everton. Bad results against these teams and no improvement on last year is on the cards and the odds on Rodgers being gone by Summer must look almost as good as those for Suarez to go to Madrid if not in January, in the summer.

Perhaps Everton for fourth with United fighting Spurs for Europa, with Newcastle/Liverpool arguing over 7th/8th?

Still, they are top of the fair play table so maybe EUFA might throw them a bone out of sympathy if they can keep the referees onside? Maybe a preliminary play-off with Young Boys for a spot in the Thursday night let down league..

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Suarez didn’t dive, if that was Crystal Palace v Sunderland I’m pretty certain Webb would give a penalty. Liverpool will finish in the top four if we keep playing the way we’re playing, no doubt about that. I am confident we can take at lest 40 points from the next 57, all Chelsea and Arsenal are missing is a world class striker upfront… and we have two. We’ve scored more goals this calendar year then any other side, just need more squad depth which will happen next month. This season has been unpredictable and inconsistent, so I wouldn’t write off Everton winning in the league at it stands. I’d be happy with 3/4 place and maybe another FA CUP, I’m guessing you’d just be happy with same old 4th place?

For January I’m sure Rodgers will be after a CB, a genuine winger, attacking midfielder and possibly a second striker or an out and out striker for cover… Because Aspas nearly as bad as Bendtner. I hear a winger is already sorted with Mohamed Salah a.k.a ‘The Egyptian Messi’.

• Total Posts 1800

We’ve scored more goals this calendar year then any other side, just need more squad depth which will happen next month.

Hmmm, but if it was done on a calendar year Arsenal would still be top and Liverpool would still be outside the top four. Mind you, looking at a calendar year is the only way you can finish ahead of Everton these days.

Another non-Europe sub-Everton finish and you’ll all be calling for Rafa again.

Maybe time to swap the arm-biting Tom Daley impersonator for the £60m Madrid will be waving shortly and get some midfielders and a decent defence sorted..

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

We’ve scored more goals this calendar year then any other side, just need more squad depth which will happen next month.

Hmmm, but if it was done on a calendar year Arsenal would still be top and Liverpool would still be outside the top four. Mind you, looking at a calendar year is the only way you can finish ahead of Everton these days.

Another non-Europe sub-Everton finish and you’ll all be calling for Rafa again.

Maybe time to swap the arm-biting Tom Daley impersonator for the £60m Madrid will be waving shortly and get some midfielders and a decent defence sorted..

£60m? What are you smoking?

His contract has minimum release clauses of £130,000,000 for English clubs and £100,000,000 for non-English clubs, so if he does go in the summer it’ll be for a world record fee. Which striker do you want at the Emirates? The only one I can find that will massively improve your team is Costa, but he’s happy at A. Madrid. Benzema has 10-15 goals a season in his locker but I couldn’t see him taking Arsenal to another level.

• Total Posts 1800

Yeah, Tottenham said the same about Bale but he went for less and now we’ll have the earliest St.Totteringham’s day for years :lol:

What are you smoking? Check out the latest reports, he’s got maybe 2-3 years left in him and is unpredictable and tends not to play full seasons, the business owners will make a business decision, it will be nothing to do with the fans or the ‘manager’ money will talk and he will walk.

If you read all of this thread and the Wenger one you’d gather that Arsenal have a manager that isn’t up to it, a leaky defence, no strength in midfield and are lacking a striker – if that’s the case why is everybody looking up at them and have done for all of 2013 – must be a proper rubbish league :D

Happy new year and good luck with finally maybe getting back the number one spot in Merseyside, looks like European clubs can cancel the extra security for another season..

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Yes, they’ve all played each other as it’s the half way point.

Yes, I do realise that. The point I was making was that Liverpool have played –

Everton – AWAY
    Newcastle – AWAY
    Arsenal – AWAY
    Spurs – AWAY
    Man City – AWAY
    Chelsea – AWAY

Never heard of home advantage, I suppose? :roll:
    It doesn’t guarantee you will win all home games BUT does give a better percentage chance.

• Total Posts 790

If they weren’t out of it before Man United surely are now, with the ironic thing being their latest defeat was partly influenced by Howard Webb :lol:

Despite Moyes’s complaints for me Young was on his way down before any contact Surprise Surprise!

Couldn’t even have United for the top 4 unless they splash the cash and bring in the likes of Baines, Mata, etc.

The result could give Spurs a boost and I can see them starting to put some pressure on both Merseyside clubs especially if Adebayor stays fit.

Evertons form seems to be going in the opposite direction with Lukakus goals drying up a bit and the draw at Stoke and in particular the loss to Sunderland could be costly come the end of the season. Despite this I still think they will see off United and secure 6th place.

Without wanting to be biased, my opinion is Liverpool will secure 4th as long as Suarez stays fit, one good signing in the window, coupled with Gerrard and Sturridge returning after a few weeks off could see us challenging Arsenal and possibly Chelsea for 3rd and 2nd.

Arsenal rumoured to be after Berbatov while he is a quality player he’s not the most reliable and I’d like them to have aimed a bit higher going for the likes of Costa, Benzema. Think theyll get 3rd maybe 2nd but can’t see them beating City to the title.

Same as Chelsea they look to lack a top class striker. So for me at half way I predict they’ll finish:

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    5. Spurs
    6. Everton
    7. United.

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Moyes is feeble compared to the big strong character of Ferguson, wouldn’t of had them top four at the start of the season… Definitely couldn’t have them above the current top four. Moyes needs to break up and rebuild his own squad over the coming transfer windows so this "transition period" he bangs on about when he loses may long continue. Embarrassing week for United, loosing is part of football but to cheat and loose is something else. Januzaj whose only been playing a few months is now the second most booked player for simulation behind Ashley Young… Now Welbeck is at it, epidemic in this United squad and makes Moyes look like a right t**t.

Suarez will play every league game that’s left if he doesn’t bite anyone or use the wrong words, he may get suspended but he’s made of steel and has never had more then a knock injury wise, in his whole career. Liverpool just need to keep doing what they’re doing and pick up two points a game over the remainder of the season. I’d be happy with Tello and Salah coming in this month, Tello being a short fix while Salah being a long-term prospect.

Arsenal absolutely need a worldie upfront, that team is crying out for a 20-25 goal a season striker; they have the money, ambition and a team to win trophies. I’m envious of their midfield and their defence has improved massively and are just as much in with a shout as City and Chelsea, they have a starting eleven to rival City and Chelsea but not the squad. If Benzema goes Emirates this month I’d expect him to show his true form next season, can’t see Costa moving with the position A. Madrid are in.

Chelsea need a goal scoring striker but they will not buy one in this window, they already have three extremely well paid strikers with Lukaku to return in the summer and have just posted a £50m loss in the financial fair play era. I can’t see them loosing at Stamford Bridge and will either get 1st or 2nd, they’ve just started dominated games like the old Mourinho teams.

Man City have looked like winning 19/19 home games but after two unconvincing home wins versus Liverpool and Palace I can see them drawing the odd game at the Etihad. City are a team making strides since beating Munich in the champions league are now the ones to beat in my opinion and have a squad to field two quality teams.

Can’t stand Tottenham. Never thought a spurs manager would be sacked when they were above United in the league… Sums up how crazy this season has been.

I like Martinez, someone who just loves football, always has a smile on his face and even know the Mersyside rivalry I’d want to see his Everton side finish 5th, ahead of Spurs and United.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

If you read all of this thread and the Wenger one you’d gather that Arsenal have a manager that isn’t up to it, a leaky defence, no strength in midfield and are lacking a striker – if that’s the case why is everybody looking up at them and have done for all of 2013 – must be a proper rubbish league :D

Yeah and we are at the half way point Arsenal in the lead being track by Man City travelling well and Chelsea in third on the bridle. Captain Cee Bee lead Hurricane Fly the other week didn’t win though did he. Arsenal have had their lead cut to nothing and are hanging on by a string. Wenger’s team is good but not a Premiership winning one. Roy Evans Liverpool of the mid 90’s springs to mind.

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Embarrassing week for United, loosing is part of football but to cheat and loose is something else. Januzaj whose only been playing a few months is now the second most booked player for simulation behind Ashley Young… Now Welbeck is at it, epidemic in this United squad and makes Moyes look like a right t**t.

Young injured his shoulder diving Vs Tottenham, karma.

• Total Posts 1800

Players need to watch Suarez for coaching tips on how to dive like an Olympian.

Wonder when the Utd fans will realise that it’s not a blip and now that they have lost the fergie factor this is it, this is their level – before or after Moyes goes?

Let’s hope the Glazers don’t encourage Moyes to spend huge, then take huge amounts of cash out of the club before leaving it a debt-ridden shell floating towards the championship…

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Well they won’t be taking coaching tips from this fella, easily the worst dive I’ve ever seen. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2535164/Weligton-double-dive-Ridiculous-play-acting-Malaga-man-against-Atletico-Madrid.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRZ_ASQ5Z0 no ads

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Liverpool are by far the most entertaining team to watch, Suarez the most exciting player. I’m disappointed we’re only 4th.

• Total Posts 1800

Shame you can’t stop the season now as 4th is the best you can hope for. Probably be 5th tomorrow evening and 6th within a week or so with United breathing hard down your neck for that place.

With Suarez buggering off to Madrid (£70M release clause) in the summer so he can play CL football and Everton being the best team in Merseyside, again, Rodgers should be joining Moyes down the job centre.

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

You’re going to win sweet FA again this season, Wenger will be given a mega new contract being rewarded for failure yet again. The only thing Arsenal are successful for is stitching up their own fans… Cash cow.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.