The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Power Shared

Home Forums Horse Racing Power Shared

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Well done with your horse today AP. He looked a bit outpaced when the winner quickened off the slowish pace but he finished really well. Hopefully go one better soon.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

Thanks – he took a hefty bump at the middle hurdle on the far side when the leader jumped across him and that cost him his position – jockey said he had to sit and suffer round the home turn and the winner was gone by the time he got clear.

He’s got a good attitude for sure and his jumping is getting better with experience – a step up in trip beckons.

AP

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

AP- Do the trainers of your horses encourage you to give input into how your horses can be campaigned and listen to you with you being a respected jusge of form or do they ignore you like Im sure they would with most owners?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

I do the buying and placing – I talk things over with Pat about the general approach in terms of distance and how long between races, but essentially I set the plan and Pat trains the horses accordingly.

It’s never been a problem as the reason we’ve lasted is that we see things much the same way. Pat is actually delighted to have an owner that will trawl the program book looking for the best options and just give him a list weeks in advance.

To give an example, Salute will be back from his winter break next month and his first four races are already sorted – obviously depending on how he runs and his fitness, but we have a plan and we’ll work towards that. He’ll go to Wolverhampton on March 12th for a 12F claimer, Musselburgh on Mar 23rd for a valuable 14F handicap where Cormack has agreed to act as his owner for the day, Great Leighs on April 4th if it opens on schedule for a 2M handicap and then Nottingham on April 23rd for a 14F handicap.

I don’t suppose I’d be able to work in the same way with Mr Nicholls or one of the Sirs in Newmarket!

AP

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

AP

Where does Salute go for his winter break (if anywhere) and are the costs of keeping him similar to when he’s in full training?

Thanks.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

CR,

He stays at the yard – my arrangement with Pat is a fixed monthly fee that stays the same all year. He’d only have about six weeks out of training anyway and there’s also the fact that if we separated him and his best friend (Greenwood), he’d probably lose interest anyway.

They go out in a paddock together every day and chase each other round like a pair of two year olds.

AP

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Thanks for that AP, sounds like Greenwood is enjoying his retirement.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Hello AP,

Thought you might like to know that having not proved up to much on the Flat or over hurdles for Tim Walford or Polly Gundry, Power Shared’s five year younger half-sister Keyhole Kate made her Point-to-Point debut at a meeting I was racereading at the other week.

It went well up to a point (no pun intended) for the now Raymond Owen-trained seven-year-old, as she made every yard in the Mares’ Maiden at Brocklesby Park’s eponymous meeting until six out, whereupon she stopped to nil.

There are more 2m4f Maidens around than there used to be; perhaps she’ll need to drop on one of those to emulate her big half-brother and achieve a win between the flags.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. Power Shared did win a Ladies Open himself after he’d moved to Claire Hart – unsurprisingly it was a right handed course, heavy ground and a stiff finish. I’m sure you’ll be able to identify it from that, though I can’t at this moment remember which course it was.

There was some talk the following summer that his, by then, completely white colour might lead to commmercial work for a new company based just outside Oxford – the White Horse Brewery. But I don’t think anything came of it and the last I heard, he was in retirment at the Hart family home.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I’m Facebook friends with Claire, so I could always ask how Power Shared is doing on your behalf, AP. Can’t say I’ve heard anything about him since his one Pointing season (2012).

The mystery course was Littlewindsor in Dorset. Good to soft going on the day, although when the rain gets into that course it can ride slower than official. Having been there, I can certainly confirm that it’s both right-handed and very uphill late on!

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.