The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Poor old Kieran Fallon

Home Forums Archive Topics Poor old Kieran Fallon

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

If you’re worried about missing the Great One in action, get yourself ATR, they show all the Irish racing or watch it all on SIS in the bookies.:biggrin:

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

It’s pointless isn’t it to speculate about what is or isn’t part of the case for the prosecution?<br>According to those whose job it is to judge these things they have enough evidence to proceed with a prosecution. That’s sufficient for the HRA to take the action they have according to the High Court today.<br>I’ve no idea what the full case against these jockeys is. What I do know is that it is Fallon’s lawyers and PR company who have been telling us all that the evidence relates to those races and that he won a number of those races etc. It is also his lawyers and PR team who are telling us that this evidence is therefore not substantive enough. As someone involved in another court case once said ‘ well, he would say that wouldn’t he?’.<br>It’s possible to be a fan of Fallon, to miss seeing him in action and to have no issue with how he’s being treated. Supporting the HRA stance does not make you a Fallon basher nor does it mean that you are presuming his guilt.<br>I think Fallon is a genius in the saddle, I miss seeing him in action here but I have no problems at all with the way he’s been treated by the HRA.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Fully agree with Seanboyce. You should be on tele or something mate.:cheesy:

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

Should be… right now in fact!<br>:o

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I’d agree with all that too.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

I don’t. <br>Regardless of whether he’s guilty or not, it’s the principle that counts. You have to have been found guilty before there can be punishment, otherwise we’re in a situation in which people’s lives can be ruined simply by the fact that they’ve been denounced. Fallon has not been found guilty. He’s only been accused.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Well said Sean.

I’m afraid the laws notorious delays mean that this sort of ‘injustice’ is bound to occur on a regular basis. Although we must presume innocence, we cannot take the risk that a person in KF’s situation might eventually be found guilty, so he has to be suspended until the courts decide. This applies in a great many situations. It isn’t ideal but it’s hard to see how it could be otherwise.

I think Fallon is a great jockey and he seems straight enough to me, but only the jury can decide. Let’s hope it isn’t too long before they do their duty.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I would tend to agree with the latter posters on this one and I miss seeing him ride, (if that’s a little selfish); but I can’t help thinking that the evidence must be fairly damning – both retrospectively, and in terms of trust in the future – to elicit this type of total establishment stonewalling.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Apart from anything else, the HRA pretty much have their hands tied on this one.  So they let all the jocks continue to ride after they have been charged & they are all found guilty as charged?  What a can of worms that would open – not least as the charges include "conspiracy to defraud Betfair punters" (or however it’s worded) – how many lawsuits and cries of foul play would there be that they were allowed to merrily carry on riding?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I thought it was a case of innocent until proven guilty ??

.. this all seems a bit vindictive and silly to me. I have no idea if he is guilty or not.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I find it a bit embarrassing and sad the way they are treating Fallon.  🙁

<br>

schumi
    • Total Posts 166

Quote: from Jim JTS on 10:28 pm on July 28, 2006[br]I find it a bit embarrassing and sad the way they are treating Fallon.  🙁

<br>

<br>i second that, if he is found guilty by all means throw him to the lions but in the mean time don’t take the mans career away and that’s what is happening here. from what i can say see he finished as a jockey now innocent or guilty. it’s sad and it’s unfair

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

Nobody has said that Fallon (or Williams, or Lynch) is guilty. They remain innocent until proven guilty as far as the law is concerned and also as far as the HRA is concerned.<br>The whole point of the High Court case we’ve just had was because the HRA refused to make a judgement on their guilt or innocence and refused to consider the evidence compiled by the police in taking the actions they have.<br>This was something that the Fallon team said was wrong but which a High Court judge has said was absolutely correct.<br>The HRA actions so far have been considered, measured, proportionate and responsible. <br>Yes, they have damaged Kieren Fallon’s earning potential in the short term and that damage has been acknowledged by the HRA as being serious and lasting.<br>They have also acknowledged how serious the impact will be on Lynch and Williams too. <br>They have had to balance that damage against the risk to the sport before taking the actions that they have.<br>The idea that Fallon’s career is over and that he will now be destitute is as preposterous as the idea that the prosecution case depends on footage of races which he actually won. Both ideas have been spun in the press prior to being put in court and both ideas are repeated here and elsewhere as if they’re gospel. Yet both ideas have been dismissed by the judge yesterday as ‘overheated and overstated’.<br>No aspect of this case is easy or enjoyable for fans of the sport and some very tough decisions have had to be made. I don’t envy those who have had to make those decisions but believe they have acted with integrity and with the best interests of the sport at heart.<br>’Innocent until proven guilty’ is an important concept but it’s application can never be entirely black and white as some seem to be arguing. If it were, then those charged with rape and murder would be allowed to walk free pending a trial and a conviction. Fallon is not in jail awaiting trial. He is free to continue earning money however he sees fit and is uniquely positioned to generate considerable income from various sources in numerous countries. Williams and Lynch are receiving compensation and presumably can also begin building careers elsewhere if they wish.<br>None of us likes to be told what to think but I’m particularly wary of being told what to think by the lawyers, solicitors and spin doctors employed on behalf of Kieren Fallon. O’Brien says Fallon is a genius and the best jockey of his generation and yet we’re also told that he won’t be employed by Coolmore if the charges aren’t dropped over here. We’re told that the HRA cannot sit as judge and jury and pre-judge this man’s guilt and then the same people that tell us this take the HRA to the high court for their refusal to sit as judge and jury on the basis of the partial evidence that team Fallon would like to present.<br>If Fallon and his co-accused were being described by anyone as guilty before being charged, or were languishing in jail, or in real danger of being destitute then I’d be shoulder to shoulder with those saying ‘innocent till proven guilty’. <br>Given that great care has been taken to ensure that none of those things can be claimed (and no amount of spin changes that) I think it perfectly sensible to wait now and see what the outcome of the court case is.<br>

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

:biggrin: My cheque is in the post, Grass!:biggrin:

Colin

bluechariot
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Such bitchiness

bluechariot
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Grasshopper you are a sad and twisted person

schumi
    • Total Posts 166

straight forward case of innocent until proven Irish, it’s been happening for 800 years KF is the latest victim

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.