The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Politicians – why is the truth so difficult?

Home Forums Lounge Politicians – why is the truth so difficult?

Viewing 7 posts - 18 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Cruncher
    • Total Posts 22

I suspect that many politicians start off as (relatively) altruistic and well intentioned.<br>Once their party gets power, they as an MP, if they aspire to ministerial advancement, have to tow the party line & say "the right things" regardless of their – or their constituents – beliefs.<br>There is considerably more leeway in this for opposition MPs.<br>Power corrupts.<br>However, for MPs on slender majorities their minds become rather more focussed to realities if they see their superior(s) becoming deeply unpopular.

It is difficult to have any respect for politicians who repeatedly fail to answer interviewers’ questions or those who seemingly seek to make as "statements of fact" things that are obviously ludicrous to even the vaguely knowledgeable.<br>There are notable exceptions – for example: Dennis Skinner, Tony Benn and the late Robin Cook.  

Voting themselves increased pensions (1/50th to 1/40th) at a time when private sector provisions are being decimated is an unpalatable example of abuse of power and "we’re all right and s*d everyone else".

As far as ministers are concerned I’m fairly convinced that, once a party has been in power for several years, many incumbents – new or existing – seek to "make their mark / leave their legacy" by changing things even if the existing processes are working OK without meddling: if it works, don’t fix it.<br>

FlatSeasonLover
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2068

Quote: from insomniac on 6:49 pm on Sep. 6, 2006[br]RD, your disillusionment is shared by me .  <br>What also worries me is that I agree with all of Grasshoppers comments too! This can’t go on :biggrin: <br> One of the main shortcomings of our MP’s is that that’s all they are – professional politicians. Few have ever bothered to dip their toes into the everyday world of their constituents. They leave university, a few get qualifications (Lawyers seems to be the current vogue) but never actually practice at their profession. Many others simply become research assistants to MPs.<br> Few of them have ever had to worry about having enough money to meet their Mortgage payments or council tax,  they have no real understanding of what it’s like living in poor areas,  of pension shortfalls, of the risk + profit and loss of running their own business,  of deadlines, of  sacking and hiring staff,  of rowdy neighbours, of non-existent police,  crap schools & crap teachers for their offspring, of how ever-increasing bureaucracy stifles business etc. They exist in a separate world. (And that applies with bells on for MEPs.) <br>The only part of our democratic process that had any experience of  life at the sharp end was in the House of Lords. But even that’s going the way of becoming a party-list fifth rate, gold-plated taxpayer funded boondoggle. <br>

I’m a little bit wary of posting a response to this on an open forum but there is only so much of this silver spoon rubbish I can listen to.

A close member of my family was born into poverty. His Saturday morning consisted of helping his dad saddle up and clean donkeys’ hooves. Council tax and monthly bills were a constant worry and funds were barely sufficient.

After leaving school at 16 to get a job and working as a delivery person he then worked for a loocal business. As this business was in a impoverished area it got repeatedly robbed and had to be closed down. As a result this member of my family was now unemployed and decided to set up his own business with only his redundancy money. Having  run this business for 10 years now he has managed to get on the Conservative A-List for the next election. What odds can I have that he will be called a posh tory born with a silver spoon?

Is it not possible that some politicians are genuine with decent values?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

FlatSeasonLover

I think you’ll notice in my quote "Few have ever bothered…"

I think you’ll agree that FEW does not mean ALL.

FlatSeasonLover
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2068

I think you’ve pretty much used that to cover your back insomniac. Few does not mean all but would it be far to say you are disillusioned with politicians?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Yes FSL, it’s fair to say I’m disillusioned.<br> I wish your family member represented my constituency. As I’ve mentioned before on another thread, my MP seems incapable of independent thought and would vote for compulsory gassing of second-born babies if her leader demanded it.<br>I don’t mind my MP having differing opinions to me but her opinions are always those of her party leader.

FlatSeasonLover
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2068

Who is your MP?

Its not Ruth Kelly is it?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Nope – she’s not got that much sparkle! :biggrin:

Viewing 7 posts - 18 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.