The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Point to Point

Home Forums Horse Racing Point to Point

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    michael
    • Total Posts 31

I am thinking of going to my first point to point meeting this coming bank holiday. Can anyone tell me if any form newspapers are sold at the track. Thanks

non vintagenon vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

No –  there will be a racecard with a short formstring and a couple of comments about each horse and if you’re lucky (?) an often bizarre rating figure.

If the ground is very fast, you might not actually encounter too many horses, but there will be pork-and-apple-sauce-in-a-bun available and maybe even a small funfair ride.

;)

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

See if you can get a copy of yesterday’s Racing Post WeekEnder.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Sadly Northaw – the last meeting of the season in East Anglia and the only point to point you can reach by tube train – was cancelled for Monday because of the hard ground.

Weekender is your best guide – after that use the racecard and follow the money!

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Detling, Cotley and Hackwood Park have also fallen by the wayside owing to hard ground – I was supposed to be covering the last-named for the trade press. Buggeration and sod.

Of the remaining Monday meetings, I’m likely to go to Ashorne (nr Warwick) for my own amusement instead, which is supposed to be pretty nice, usually produces suitable ground, and is consequently rewarded with decent sized fields. Lady Dudley Cup winner Irilut is one of many good horses entered in what looks a pretty useful Open contest.

That part of the world any use to you, Michael? It’s an afternoon – evening meeting, first race off around 4pm, I believe.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 11:04 am on May 4, 2007)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Happy JackHappy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I was doing the form guide for the Warwickshire and the Mixed Open certainly does have a few tasty entries. Coolefind v Irilut would be a cracker if they both showed up – not sure if the former will appear if the ground is on the quick side but I’m sure that the Waley-Cohens will be keen to win the race given that this is ‘their’ hunt.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Can’t argue with any of that, HJ – let’s hope the promised rain  takes enough jar out of the ground to twist the arm of Coolefind’s connections… just so long as it consents not to bucket down on us all at Dingley 24 hours earlier, of course.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’m cheering for Dunmanus Bay in the 4 miler at Dingley -hopefully he’ll be plodding on when others have cried enough.

Seven TowersSeven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 607

Ashorne is the only P-t-P I’ve ever been to and it was 10 years ago but a very good day out. I’d recommend it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.