Phoenix Stakes 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Phoenix Stakes 2019

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  FinalFurlong91 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Rematch between siskin and monarch of Egypt

Have to say I’m slightly baffled that the prices are so close after siskin looked completely different class to MoE last time

I can see the angle that he may improve after having a troubled prep but he has to take a huge leap forward to get even close to beating siskin

Hopefully siskin wins impressively then at some stage later in the year we get pinatubo vs siskin

Odds on shots arent normally my thing but I was expecting him to be 4/9 not 10/11

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

I have the delights of the Curragh tonight. Personally saw it the other way.

There’s a serious weather warning around tonight and lots of rain expected. The US-bred Siskin has a scuttly action and looks an unlikely sort to handle any cut in the ground. Monarch Of Egypt (despite being by American Pharoah) is proven on good-to-soft and looks more likely to deal with it. I also like that MOE ran so well despite being so desperately weak on return from his setback last time, suggesting he needed it badly. He’s strong in the market tonight I think he’ll reverse the form.

help fight the decline of The Racing Forum - send personal message for details

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1048

Good or GF and i’d have Siskin 4/6 but with the ground looking like being at least soft i’d probably favour MOE for the reasons LS3 has said. It’s frustrating because Ger deserves an Irish Group 1, he’s a bloody good trainer, but the weather might have done him here.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Hmm

Didnt know about the weather, that explains the prices then

Probably a race just to watch then

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Just read they are forecasting 30mm before the race

Will they even risk running siskin if it all hits the racecourse

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 680

Siskin will do enough to win. Evens is a gift.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

5/4 for a decent chunk on the machine if you’re confident, spuddy! Good luck if you’re playing.

Agree with KevMc – would love to see Ger Lyons get his G1. He’s probably the #2 trainer in Ireland right now and deserves to start taking his share of these big ones. Rather unlucky if the ground scuppers him here.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Well played the spud – bold call and well played.

I’ll stick my neck out and say that’s a good horse. Shrugged off those conditions (which couldn’t have been ideal) like an old pro.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Siskin looks very professional

A very good 2yo

Him vs pinatubo on good ground please

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2328

WD potato :good:

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

Ger Lyons identified the middle park as his preferred next destination for siskin

But obviously that could change after discussions with connections

I’m looking at the 20/1 for the commonwealth cup and am tempted to take a bit of it

The turn of foot he showed in the railway stakes was certainly that of a very fast horse

At this stage I’d be more inclined to take that than to take the 8/1-10/1 for the guineas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.