The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pendil

Home Forums Horse Racing Pendil

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Just been reading the racing reports in some old copies of Horse And Hound from 1973. That was the year Fred Winter went to the Festival with four potential champions – Pendil, Bula, Crisp and Killiney. And he had Lanzarote waiting in the wings as well – not bad for a string a third of the size of Nicholls. Anyway, I had always been under the impression that The Dikler had outstayed Pendil in the Gold Cup but according to John Oaksey’s report he was closing again after being headed and had gone by The Dikler again after the line. Can anyone confirm this view?

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

Stilvi,

You can see the finish on YouTube, see URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9hJcIM6Bs

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

LlanrumneyBoy

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Pendil didn’t stay a yard beyond 3 miles and was at least as good at 2 1/2 miles. He must be one of the best horses never to have won the Gold Cup.

The Dikler was an enormous horse (twice the size of his diminutive sire), a flashy bay, and a great favourite with the public. But he was a one-paced horse with no turn of foot, and greatly inferior to Pendil. Regardless of what happened during the last few strides of the race, he basically outstayed his rival.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Not according to Ron Barry

I spoke to Ron Barry about this race at a Jockey’s dinner and dance in the queens hotel in Penrith and his version is much the same as John Oakseys.

Ron said he always felt he had the beating of Pendil and he thought he was a certainty not to stay. He deliberatly waited until after the 2nd last before he got serious on the Dickler so Pendil would have nothing to race with and he was already catching Pendil by the time the last came…………He said Pendil ran on better than he expected but Ron reckons it was more idling than stopping through not getting the trip…he said they were being unfair to say Pendil never got the trip and that the run the Dickler came up with any horse would have been lucky to have held him off…

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I just watched the video and was amazed to see L’escargot in that race……..more amazed sack of potatoes rode Pendil :cry:

How different history would be if Dick Pitman hadn’t ridden Crisp and Pendil……..he’s gone a mile too soon on Pendil for a horse they thought wouldn’t stay…

PS I just watched it for a second time he’s went 3 from home ????

Dickler didn’t looked to one paced to me either he’s put some distance between himself and Charlie Potheen from the last

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Thanks for the YouTube link. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to guage exactly what happens in the final few strides. Talking of versatlity, in preparation for the Gold Cup I think Pendil had given weight and a beating to Inkslinger (later to win both the Champion Chase and Cathcart at the Festival) and Tingle Creek. The following season he gave plenty of weight to Helmsman in the Massey-Ferguson. Gold Cup defeats aside he was clearly one of best chasers of the modern era.

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

Stilvi,

There is an interesting link with Richard Pitman explaining the rationale behind Pendil’s demise in the following year’s Gold Cup:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1967

No doubt FistofFury will blame it on the bag of King Edwards.

Regards,

LlanrumneyBoy

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

llanrumneyboy

Thanks for that link!

Brought back a lot of good memories that! :D

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 609

I remember a mid-race O`Sullevan comment that Pendil takes lengths from his rivals mid air yet I`ve never come across footage which suggests
    such brilliant jumping.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Trust me, Pilgo, he was a brilliant jumper of fences.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Pendil was a brilliant jumper . If you recall, he too was another very good horse who was being hailed as the " new Arkle."

Like many racing fans, I was shocked and disappointed that he lost out to The Dikler ( an inferior horse to Pendil, imo).

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

didn’t Pendil supposedly have two bumps on his head like horns?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I think people think I was a big fan of the Dickler…….well I was he was hard not to like but Pendil was the superstar of an era that was filled with talented horses.

I just feel had Fred Winter not been so loyal to Pitman who was as dumb as they come thing would have been very different. In that article he’s admitted he went too soon as I said

Then gets brought down by a known bad jumper the next. He said Captain Christie and The Dickler came upsides him and hemmed him in.

After race discussion: Nice one Richard says Fred Winter and WTF were you doing in front of the Dickler who came from behind and did you last year? and High Ken not fallen what then…..give the Dickler and Captain Christie a lead into the straight again?……….geezus Richard please go on TV and I’ll get John Francome to ride my horses :lol:

I think he got a big enough bollocking from the old man without me chipping in :wink:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.